Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM

What do you feed your cat, and how much?

Hi Guys,

Need some advice, do you guys control how much your cat eats? Also what do would you recommend I give my cats?

I've been giving them whiskas dry food, and friskies wet food.. should I control how much my cat eats?

I have a 1yr 1/2 male, and 4yr 1/2 female cat..

Appreciate your feedback :]

Thanks
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:11 PM

I've just been looking online and found out that whiskas is not something you should feed your cats =/ I honestly had no idea.. I've always thought whiskas was a good brand.. I guess the flashy packaging makes it look good..

Anyone know what I should feed my cat?
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:42 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Yamcha, good for you for doing research and being open to others opinions. I have only had cats since the fall (love them ) but through research for my dogs and advice from members here I chose a diet of only wet grain free food. Right now they eat a combination of Evo, Wellness, and Instinct.

Ziggy will eat anything (including the dog's food ) and Zuzu is a little more picky. What she doesn't like (usually beef or chicken) she just walks away from but when she likes it she devours it like the rest.

With four furry companions, there is no free feeding in this house. They all eat morning and night. I can usually get three servings from a small can and about 6 or 7 from the big cans. We are trying to feed Ziggy less but he is always ravenous

Good luck with your search and keep poking around the food forum here...there is a wealth of information for you to absorb

(btw, pictures are mandatory, even though it is not written in the rules anywhere )

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Whiskas is the macdonalds of the cat food world. Speciality stories, like Petsmart, pet valu, etc..sell good quality food brands.

I feed my cat Wellness, both dry and wet.

Last edited by Ford; June 24th, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:24 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ideally, drop the dry all together and feed the best quality canned food you can.
A great site to check out is www.catinfo.org
You could also consider the ultimate in cat food - raw.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Floppy Dog

I free feed my cat Royal Canin dry kibble for indoor cats (with furball control). Yes, I know most of you recommend the wet stuff, but my cat's a rescue from the humane society. There's no way he'd let me near his mouth with a toothbrush! So kibble and Greenies denta treats it is to keep the tartar off his teeth. Judging by his coat, eyes and activity level, doesn't seem to be doing him any harm.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Dog View Post
I free feed my cat Royal Canin dry kibble for indoor cats (with furball control). Yes, I know most of you recommend the wet stuff, but my cat's a rescue from the humane society. There's no way he'd let me near his mouth with a toothbrush! So kibble and Greenies denta treats it is to keep the tartar off his teeth. Judging by his coat, eyes and activity level, doesn't seem to be doing him any harm.
You may be interested in reading this and many more articles like it Floppy Dog.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...dcleantheteeth

I have many rescues. It takes some patience and practice but cleaning teeth can be done.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Dog View Post
Well if kibble actually cleaned a cat's teeth, that would be great. But it doesn't. In fact, it can actually CAUSE dental disease because it's so full of sugary carbohydrates that feed bacteria in the mouth. And it doesn't offer the abrasive plaque removal that you might think it would because if the cat isn't just swallowing it whole, the kibbles shatter when bitten, and those smaller pieces get lodged between teeth and under gum-lines where they do their real damage.

Besides, people don't clean their teeth with pretzels and corn chips, why would it be different for the teeth of an obligate carnivore, designed to tear into meat? And another thing to consider: if kibble was so great for preventing dental problems, why is dental disease one of the most common health issues for cats, despite the overwhelming prevalence of kibble-fed cats?

I urge you to read these links if you don't believe me:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...dcleantheteeth
http://home.ivillage.com/pets/cats/0,,p8ds,00.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 26th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Guys, I got him grain free cat food, its called Go Natural, my cat doesn't seem to like it.. I'm going to stop feeding the whiskas for a day or two and see if he eats the new food.. Otherwise its been a waste of $45.. I got it from petland.. they are pretty expensive.. I couldn't find the brands you guys mentioned..
Old June 26th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Guys, I got him grain free cat food, its called Go Natural, my cat doesn't seem to like it..
It can sometimes take a little effort to convince our kitties that the healthier foods are actually edible. For one thing, kibble is coated in smell and taste enhancers to entice cats into eating ingredients that would normally be unpalatable. On top of that, cats are naturally suspicious of new foods as a defence mechanism to avoid ingesting toxic substances. You can help your kitty overcome that by getting him used to the smell of whatever it is you're introducing. I would start by picking up the Whiskas completely and mixing a very small amount of the Go in with his canned Friskies. Gradually increase the amount of Go while decreasing the Friskies.

Quote:
Otherwise its been a waste of $45..
You bought a case? That does seem a little pricey to me (Wellness is cheaper than that where I live). But it might also be a good idea not to commit to a whole case of one flavour/brand until you know what your kitties like. I'd suggest getting a variety of single cans and seeing if there's a particular flavour or texture that your cats prefer. Some cats also do better with a bit of variety when it comes to canned food and easily get bored if the same thing is on the menu every day.

Perhaps Petland would be willing to take the case back for a refund or store credit?

Quote:
I got it from petland.. they are pretty expensive.. I couldn't find the brands you guys mentioned..
I'm pretty sure Petland also carries Natural Balance canned foods, so that's another option to try. Not sure where you're located, but do you have any independent pet food stores, or something like Global Pet Foods? They tend to have some better quality brands. If you're in the U.S., Petco carries Wellness now.

Here are store locators of various brands that you can check out:

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/store-locator.aspx
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/home/locator.tpl
http://www.naturesvariety.com/locator
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/locator/
http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/
http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/retailer_locator/
http://www.precisepet.com/find_a_retailer-1.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM

Yeah,

I got a refund, bought a sample pack instead, I didn't think he would be as picky.. anyway I'm giving it a go, hopefully he likes it soon..

I'm actually in Calgary, maybe I didn't look in the right isle, but I asked the women working there and she recommended Go Natural..

Anyway will keep you guys updated :], Thanks for your feedback so far guys :]
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:20 PM
150% PRO S/N

Is that Go Natural dry or wet?

http://www.gonaturalcatfood.com/ - dry

http://www.naturalpetfood.ca/go-natural-cat-food.htm - wet

With cats who are used to eating a certain diet it is not always a simple thing to plunk something down in front of them and say eat it. They are more likely to look at you and say bite it. It's like someone who is used to eating prime rib as a staple in their diet suddenly being offered hamburger for their supper every night. It's not well received unless done properly.
What you should be trying to do is to mix a small amount of the new food in with the old food, increasing the new food, decreasing the old, bit by bit.

The web site given you at the first - www.catinfo.org - gives you some great pointers on how to transition kitties to new food.