Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 21st, 2014, 09:26 AM

9yo boston terrier pees in house help

I have a 9yo boston terrier that I got from another owner. This guy did not take care of the dog properly. He didn't even let the dog outside to do it's business. He allowed the dog to pee and defecate in the house. I am having such a hard time training him. I even made suits that have pads in them so that if he does pee in the house it don't go on the floor or furniture. For about a month he didn't pee in the suits at all but then he pees in them non-stop. Even after coming in from outside within 5 mins he's peeing the suits. And I make sure he is out there long enough to take care of his business. How can I stop this? My other dog is good. She tells me everytime she has to go out. She never goes inside, even when I'm not home all day. I have tried puppy pads, rewards and everything except the crate. I do not have the room for a crate. What can I do to stop him from doing this? People told me to get him snipped and I did but it did not work. I am out of options and about out of my mind. Please any help. Thank you.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Generally the advice with an older not potty trained dog is you have to treat him like a very young puppy and do the potty training from scratch. Unfortunately it will likely take longer than it would with a puppy. And perhaps you should Vet him to make sure there is not a medical or physical problem contributing to this. A UTI for instance. Good luck, hope you can solve this.