Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 25th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Feline Lunch Lady

New Kitten eats Sunnys food

Hi!

Well, Salem and Sunny are settling in. Thanks to all for your great advice and help.

Salem is a little piggy when it comes to food and Sunny is a nibbler. Sooooo, in addition to Salem's food, Salem eats Sunny's food. Sigh.

Everyone I know says to simply put Sunny's food up high. That won't work. Sunny doesn't jump on to tables or counters and never has. Don't know if it is because of his training in his past life or if it because he only has one back leg. Salem however, can and will jump on everything with the greatest of ease. So, putting Sunny's food up isn't a solution.

Anyone got any 'been there, done that' advice? Or, if you haven't, got any ideas?

Salem nibbles on his dry food. Wolfs down his wet (and poor Sunny's wet if he can) AND he eats Sunny's dry (more than his own dry). Sunny is on Medical Preventative for dry -- I know, I know -- The vet put him on this after his FLUTD in January. He likes it -- and Sunny is a very, very picky eater -- Sunny's been through a lot lately and I'm not going to change this food right now -- I will, but not right now -- I did put him back on his regular wet though, which is Merrick (He would not touch the Medical Preventative Wet food). Anyway, back to Salem - I don't like him eating Sunny's dry food. Salem's dry food is Wellness Kitten.

Salem is getting a buddha-belly (I'm pretty sure it's from stealing the food from Sunny). We know that he will be a bigger cat then Sunny is (good thing Sunny is teaching him manners now!)

He eats a 1/2 can of wet in the morning and again in the evening evening, and then his dry is free-fed. He does not finish his dry, but he practically licks the bowls clean with his wet. Sunny (my light-weight - only 9-1/2 lbs), eats about 1/3 of a can of wet in the morning and nibbles a bit on his dry throughout the day. He rarely finishes his wet food, and NEVER finishes his dry. He's just never been a big eater. He doesn't even like cat treats. The little guy Salem, however squeaks, chirps, and does his best to trip me if he sees me in the kitchen around ANY of his two wet feeding times. (this little guy is sooo funny and cute, it's ridiculous - the way he chirps, squeaks and darts around, I swear he was originally raised by squirrels)

Any advice?
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM

You could try what i have to do: feed them 2x a day (no free feeding) in separate rooms. One of my cats eats very fast and a lot, like there is no stopping her. The other picks at her food slowly. I shut the slow eater in my bedroom while she is eating or the other one will steal it (sometimes she still manages to break in and do this). I give the slow eater some time and then have to put her unfinished food away. Sometimes if she hasn't eaten much I let her try again later.
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Sunnysmum,I have one chubbadub(Vinnie)who always keeps an eye on the other two dishes and Rocky who is quite skinny,Chico will munch off and on for an hour
I let Vinnie eat his 1/3 of a can in the kitchen and I stay with the other two in another room,mostly because Rocky gets his meds in a teaspoon of food,but also to make sure Vinnie is not finishing the other dishes off.
Rocky and Chico always leave some for later,so I take it away for a while and give it to them again after enduring stares from Vinnie
So,when they eat,I have to spend about 15 minutes with them,but that's ok
They too freefeed on dry,Vinnie not so much..
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:37 PM
-

I agree....if you've got one that's a piggy you have to separate and/or supervise them. Good luck.
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Feline Lunch Lady

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

We'll do our best to keep our little piggy from eating too much and still give our skinny guy (he's all fur!) access to his food when he wants it.