Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:57 PM

Cat only eats fish

Help my cat (domestic medium hair) will only eat wet cat food (friskies) that is made with fish. Everytime I try to give her something different she won't eat it. She then will eat her dry food instead. I feel bad taking away the dry food. Is there any way to stop this since I've heard that only feeding cats fish is not healthy.
Thanks!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

jmodib,try adding a bit of warm water to her non-fishy catfood,maybe she'll like it better,it worked with my cats.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:57 PM

One of our cats is really finicky and we've been through alot of food changes over the years. Some techniques that worked for us:

- Mix in some of the old food with some of the new food. Try 50-50, if that doesn't work try adding more of the old food to the mix. Over time, gradually reduce the amount of the old food that you mix in until there's none going in. You may still have to pretend to mix it to get a placebo effect though!

- Warm it up a little in the microwave. Not much, "warm" not "hot".

-Try enticing her with attention. Some cats love to be watched while they eat and might eat stuff they wouldn't normally eat if they're getting attention while doing it. Also if they turn their nose up and wander off to lie under the bed or something, bring the food to her and try again - sometimes the novelty of eating in a new location seems to make the food more exciting. Also if there are two of you (two parents) have the other person try this if it doesn't work for you. One of our cats is generally fixated on her mom, but for some reason dad can work magic when it comes to enticement and mom can't.

-Reverse psychology. This works with dogs, not sure about cats - the only cat here that it seems to work for isn't a finicky eater anyway. Pretend you're eating the food, and they can't have it. Pretend you're going to put it down for them - and then stop, and pretend that you're eating it again and they can't have any. Then put it down for them. My experience is that this will get cats really interested, just like dogs - but then they sniff at it and reject it anyway. You might get different mileage though, it might work if you combine it with mixing and/or warming it up.
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Edgewater,funny you should say that,since my Rocky is on meds,I started sitting with him while he eats the sponful where the pill is mashed up in,then give him the rest.
It seems both Rocky and Chico eat better when I sit on the floor with them,until they are done.
Vinnie,my little Piglet eats in the kitchen..
Just another ritual my cats have me doingI don't mind spending 10min on the floor but it's getting harder and harder to get up
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the advice!