Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Cat food recommendations

Given the recent food scare. I am re-considering my foood choice for my beloved cat. I was using Eukanuba But I had suspected that there were better choices. What would you recommend as a good dry food choice for my cat who is 9 years old. I, of course, want him to live forever!
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I feed Acana adult, I have no problems with it, and the cats are doing great on it. Less mess in the litter boxes ( which is my favorite part) they seem to be shedding less, and are shiny as shiny could be!
Not the best food on the market by all means, but its pretty good.
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

I have switched to Solid Gold (which is surprisingly affordable) Kitty loves it and its, as erykah said not the best of the best but its up there.
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

my top 3 would be Innova Evo, Felidae or Orijen

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:01 PM

My cats have been doing really well on Felidae. Plus its well priced. They also really like Innova Evo, Orijin and Timberwolf Organics. Since switching them to Felidae, my cats have started shedding less, have soft shiny coats have a ton more energy and are very happy healthy cats. I just found a stray (sickly looking) kitten last week, and even my vet is impressed how fantastic he already looks, and I believe its due to the food.
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_B View Post
my top 3 would be Innova Evo, Felidae or Orijen
I concur. And I would add regular Innova too...

Other good brands are Acana, Merrick, Solid Gold, Nature's Variety...
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I have tried a few and have gotten it down to Solid Gold,my kitten loves it,i give her the wet and dry.She did not like Wellness or California Natural,and i have looked at Innova but it was a little to expensive ,so i am sticking w/ Solid Gold.Who here said it isnt that good??And why?
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM

I highly recommend Innova adult cat! I just recently switched my kitties (2 months ago) from eating Iams for 4 years. There were HUGE changes in the amount they shed and their coats are so much softer and shinier! One had dandruff, which is now gone, and she's lost some weight (which is good because she was getting a little chubby ). The other threw up all the time (for her whole life, some of it is just cuz she eats too fast) and now she hardly throws up at all. Eventually we'll switch to Innova EVO, but right now I want them to adjust to the regular Innova.
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Heidiho i didnt say it wasnt good. i think its a great food. (i wouldnt be giving Roland anything i didnt think was good food!) i guess its just not as good as the innova or orijen in terms of the protein content. Roland stuggled with the EVO but has had no issues changing onto the Solid Gold!
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:32 PM

lol It's not the best, but it's still up there... Kitty food lags behind dog food in quality, IMO (but hopefully kitty owners will unite and conquer! ).
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Ragdoll Mom

Help?!

Hello everyone, I too am in search of new food for my ragdolls. They were eating Iams/Eukanuba until the recall. I went to Pet Planet to do some research on the more organic foods out there, surprisingly along with the Innova brand they also recommended techni cal as a great food. I know Techni cal is Royal Canin. Has anyone had any experience with Royal Canin???
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Bought some of the Orijen at Ren's on my way home last night to try on the tribe. Bought the last 2 bags. Every cat went snakey for it. They love the stuff. It's not that expensive either. Saw this other stuff called serengheti (sp)....most expensive stuff in the store for cats. I'll have to look it up to see what's so special about it.

Anybody know what would be a good wet food to compliment the Orijen....I didn't see any canned food for it.

Cindy
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Innova Evo & Felidae both have wet foods.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Boss-lady!

My Dancer gets Felidae dry and Go! Natural canned and does very well on the combo (and this is a cat who refused to eat anything but Cat Chow for 9 years, despite my best efforts).

She didn't care so much for the Felidae canned, though, or the Wellness canned either. I'm kinda glad about the Wellness even though it's a good brand-the smell knocks me over when I open a can.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:11 PM

Thank you!

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really appreciat everybody's time. I am looking into Felidae. I just hope I can get him to eat it!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

CLM,you bought he last bag???:sad:
I am going to Rens tomorrow,was hoping to get Orijen instead of Chicken-Soup..hopefully they have some in storage
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Learning fast

Kahula, doa quick search down the threads, Royal canin is also on a recall. You are best sticking with the brands listed.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:12 PM

Royal canin is part of another lawsuit... I don't think they actually have a recall... Right, rainbow?

Edit to add:
here's the thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38036

But it's still not the best out there though.

Last edited by Prin; March 22nd, 2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Sorry Chico2....yes I bought the last 2 bags. Hopefully they have more in their storeroom or on order at least. I can't believe how much my cats love the stuff. Even my big indoor outdoor stray and the neighbours cat, plus the now 3 strays that I have around....they all tie into the stuff like it's the human equivelent to lobster. Amazing. I've never had a food that everyone loves....normally at least one or 2 of the cats want something different. I wish I had as much luck with the canned food. Nobody likes any of the stuff that's good for them, so it's still fancy feast I'm afraid.

Cindy
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:26 AM
~Cat Servent~

How much does this Felidae run? I've been looking into an alternative to the vet food (Medi-cal) as it is putting me in the poor house.
The food has to have similar ingredients to the Medi-cal Hypo-Gastro formula. It uses duck and rice as the main ingredients. Anyone using a good food they can recommend for food allergies? Of course has to have no wheat/corn gluten. Or any cheaper way to get the Medi-cal?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:40 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahula View Post
Hello everyone, I too am in search of new food for my ragdolls. They were eating Iams/Eukanuba until the recall. I went to Pet Planet to do some research on the more organic foods out there, surprisingly along with the Innova brand they also recommended techni cal as a great food. I know Techni cal is Royal Canin. Has anyone had any experience with Royal Canin???
Royal Canin does not make very good foods. All the brand listed above are good ones. I feed Innova or Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:40 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejcharat View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied. I really appreciat everybody's time. I am looking into Felidae. I just hope I can get him to eat it!
If he doesn't all the rest mentioned are just as good.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:47 AM

The only allergy formula I know of that's really targetted to allergies is the DVP venison and Pea for kitties:
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/cat...as/VenCat.html
There's just not as many options out there for cats as for dogs.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:05 AM
-

There's also Fromm Duck ala Veg if you really need duck.

http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-c-d-duck.php
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
If he doesn't all the rest mentioned are just as good.
Yes, he's a mess about his food. Very picky. (like all cats!) I bought some felidae and he started digging through the trash cans. I'm trying Innova next. though I had heard that menufoods makes some of their products! I just don't feel like there is any safe food except making it yourself.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:59 AM

okay ive lost track here of who can eat the gluten and who cant, have you tried the Solid Gold? they are not associated with Menufoods (i hear) and Roland loves it! its also affordable.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:28 AM

Fromm is also not associated with menu (the link rainbow posted...).

And DVP Natural balance (they have the venison and pea one).
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejcharat View Post
I'm trying Innova next. though I had heard that menufoods makes some of their products! I just don't feel like there is any safe food except making it yourself.
Menu Foods does not make any of Natura's (Innova) kibble. It is manufactured at their own plant. Their canned food is made at Menu Food's South Dakota plant. :sad: Hopefully, that will change soon.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Menu Foods does not make any of Natura's (Innova) kibble. It is manufactured at their own plant. Their canned food is made at Menu Food's South Dakota plant. :sad: Hopefully, that will change soon.
Thanks for that info. that helps to alleviate some anxiety. If innova doesn't work, I will try solid gold. My cat is such a mess when it comes to his food, but I really think a better diet is important. Especially given the news that keeps coming out. A poster I know from another board, said her cat had gotten sick from Iams kibble! It's crazy!