Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old May 31st, 2013, 05:27 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Talking Phew Bobee is Fine

So the vet just called with Bobee's results and everything is good. I didn't have her go over everything but she said there's nothing going on anywhere and even his kidneys are functioning well for a 13 year old cat. I guess I'll just keep him on the good food and put up with his bit of snarkiness towards Nino..part of the problem with that is Nino is such a drama king and lets out such a scream at Bobee, not that blood has ever been drawn from either!
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:39 PM

Great news for Bobee

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:51 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Ya I'm very happy, maybe now I can sleep better! I'd like to see him a gain a pound or two though, but maybe now that he's stopped throwing up pretty much every day, he'll put the weight back on. I might give him a small can of kitten food a couple of times a week for the extra calories. The vet didn't think he'd need it because of the higher protein being hard on his kidneys but I don't think a small can a few times a week will really hurt him. I'll get him a can or two and see how he handles it.
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
The vet didn't think he'd need it because of the higher protein being hard on his kidneys
That would be a myth, although in the case of low quality plant protein, that might be somewhat plausible. But feeding good quality (ie easily digestible and assimilable) meat protein to a carnivore does NOT damage their kidneys and I'm not sure why vets get so hung up on this. Here's a good explanation from Dog Food Advisor which is also applicable to cats:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-d...ein-dog-foods/
Quote:
Does High Protein Cause Kidney Disease?

The Veterinary and Aquatic Services Department of Drs. Foster and Smith addresses what it refers to as a false rumor regarding high protein diets:

“High protein pet foods are NOT harmful to a normal animal’s kidneys. As an animal’s body digests and metabolizes protein, nitrogen is released as a by-product.

“The excess nitrogen is excreted by the kidneys. A high protein diet produces more nitrogen by-products and the kidneys simply excrete the nitrogen in the urine.

“While you may think this would ‘overwork’ the kidneys and lead to possible kidney damage, this is not true. The kidney’s filtering capabilities are so great that even one kidney is sufficient to sustain a normal life.”

Better Quality Protein
Fewer Nitrogen By-Products

So, then, why do so many veterinarians still believe a high protein diet is dangerous to older dogs and kidney health?

“The myth that high protein diets are harmful to kidneys probably started because, in the past, patients with kidney disease were commonly placed on low protein (and thus low nitrogen) diets.

“Now, we often put them on a diet that is not necessarily very low in protein, but contains protein that is more digestible so there are fewer nitrogen by-products.”

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 1st, 2013, 01:58 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

that's what I kind of thought! I have to get food today, so I think I'll get a few cans of good kitten food for him, I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:00 AM

That is great news pattymac!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi