Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Furminator brush?

I have 2 siberian huskies and while they not have gone through their first coat-blowing session yet, I want to be fully prepared for when they do
A friend of mine recommended the furminator brush.
Has anyone else used this? Does it really work that well?
Right now, I just have a slicker brush (which they love) but I know in time that won't be sufficient.
What do you think of the furminator? Yay or nay?
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:04 PM

I LOVE the furminator brush! Although I wouldn't recommend buying from the pet store as they are very expensive. I bought mine through eBay and they were much cheaper. I gave the first one to my Dad, for his Shar Pei/LAB mix. It was the yellow medium sized one. We combed out a whole garbage bag of fur and he looked so much better. I have the small, purple one that I use on my cats. I bought it originally for my Pug, but actually, she doesn't shed that much. Just make sure you brush them outside, they really make the fur fly! I would go with the large size for your furbaby.
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I've used the furminator brush on dogs,if i ever get a long haired dog that one of the first things i will buy.

My bro uses it on his dog has for over a year and he really likes it.

There are other brushes out there that have copied it not sure how good they are.
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM

This is what I used on my now passed Alaskan Malamute, and am now using on my Kaya (18 mo old Sibe), and it works well. Better than a regular brush as this one goes deep enough to take out that extra shedding coat.

Thing is, I was hoping it would drastically reduce the pet hair all over my house, but it hasn't . If I remember correctly the advertizement says it reduces shedding up to 90%, and I have to disagree. Diamond was brushed twice a week and I did not see any change on shedding, while Kaya gets brushed every day (I'm getting her used to the brush and she came to use full of mats and clumps), and there is no change in the amount of pet hair laying around, and we vacuum every day.

Check the furminator on youtube, there are a lot of unoficial reviews on it there. I for one think the 55$ spent on it was way too much for what it does, but keep in mind Huskies do shed quite a lot and it might work better with other breeds who shed less.
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:43 PM
owned by goldens

Furminator

We own 2 golden retrievers, and I can say it works great and it has reduced the hair in the house by 90 0/0. I recommend it, best money we have spent in a long while!
russte
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobykat View Post
I LOVE the furminator brush! Although I wouldn't recommend buying from the pet store as they are very expensive. I bought mine through eBay and they were much cheaper. I gave the first one to my Dad, for his Shar Pei/LAB mix. It was the yellow medium sized one. We combed out a whole garbage bag of fur and he looked so much better. I have the small, purple one that I use on my cats. I bought it originally for my Pug, but actually, she doesn't shed that much. Just make sure you brush them outside, they really make the fur fly! I would go with the large size for your furbaby.
I got one off of eBay (cat version) for nearly 1/2 the cost... and yes that includes shipping and exchange rate to Canada.

Personally, I think it's just a hair clipper blade glued to a handle. I'm not overly impressed. I think that it pulls out hair that wouldn't have shed out, as well as the loose hair. In the commercial they show someone using a slicker brush and then getting a lot more hair with the furminator. Do it the other way. Try the furminator first and then a slicker brush and the slicker brush will have hair in it.
Old January 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM

The Furminator does not work well on double-coated dogs as it tends to cut the top coat. It will look like you are getting the hair out, but it doesn't do a good job on the undercoat. It is better to use either a rake or a greyhound style comb to get the undercoat out when it is loose.
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Geek Club CEO

We have two double-coated dogs. We use the furminator on our GSD, and it works VERY nicely to get out the undercoat, the topcoat is untouched. We can't use it, however, on our heavy-coated terrier X...her top coat is too long and wirey, and it isn't able to get down to the undercoat.

I'd also invest in a good rake to get the bulk of the blown fur out it'll safe time and the blade on the furminator will last longer if you're not using it to remove the really obviously loose stuff.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjoejoe View Post
I got one off of eBay (cat version) for nearly 1/2 the cost... and yes that includes shipping and exchange rate to Canada.

Personally, I think it's just a hair clipper blade glued to a handle. I'm not overly impressed. I think that it pulls out hair that wouldn't have shed out, as well as the loose hair. In the commercial they show someone using a slicker brush and then getting a lot more hair with the furminator. Do it the other way. Try the furminator first and then a slicker brush and the slicker brush will have hair in it.
I didnt like the ones for my cats either. They usually love being brushed but they run away when this comes out..I gave up

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Mom of Cody and Nova

I bought one (got a nice discount on it at least), and it works great for my Australian Shepherd Cody. It really made him look and feel better - His 'butt' fur used to be really coarse, but since using the brush it's much flatter and softer. When I brought him back to flyball class the following week, people said his grooming made him look younger It has reduced Cody's shedding significantly as well.

I think it really depends on the animals fur and coat type, I've yet to try it on my border collie, but her fur type is quite different. Nova sheds like crazy and I keep finding long white fur stuck to all the furniture. She's still young though, and still growing in her coat, but once she's older I'll try it out and see.
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Doggie Wench

I love the Furminator!!! I use a rake first to loosen up the undercoat and then take our extra large Furminator (the one made for horses) to the dogs. It's amazing how much of the loose undercoat it removes, especially on Lucky who has the thickest double coat. I do take a wet facecloth to them first because it gets static-y sometimes and Penny hates that.
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:10 PM

I just got the furminator the other day and it seems to work really well! A friend of mine, who's mom is a groomer, recommended it for my Shiz-poo and we are getting a GSD in a few weeks and she said it works wonders! PetSmart has a package deal on right now for $49.99. It has shampoo, a deshedding solution, a bath brush, medium furminator and a microfiber towel. It's a pretty good deal!