Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 21st, 2008, 07:34 PM

is it possible my dog is part wolf?

just a thought that has crossed my mind lately, he doesnt really look like the malamute standard at all. he looks more like a husky, but is much bigger. could he be a wolf/husky mix?
Attached Images

Old June 21st, 2008, 07:43 PM
banned user

My brother had a malamute/wolf cross when he lived in BC..So its possible...But by the looks of your dog, vey unlikely. His eyes would be much different as well as his jaw structure...
Old June 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Thats not true Katherine, i've owned 3 wolf x's and two had dogs eyes not wolf. And i know for sure they all had wolf because i knew the mothers of all. Remember there are 2 parents involved. A wolf cross could have any of the wolf features, longer muzzle, longer legs, the eyes, ears, etc, etc.
Old June 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM

i mean i got "certified pedigree" papers when i got him from the doggy store (i know they arent the place to get dogs, for reasons like this, but i was uninformed)

he just doesnt look like the mal pics i see in dog breed books and whatnot.

although on wikipedia there is this picture...
Attached Images

Old June 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

i know you've said but i don't recall, how old is he, they do take some time to fill out and grow in thier heavy coat.
Old June 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM

DOB is given as 2/11/07 on his certificate.

1 yr 4 months then.
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:01 PM
banned user

Oh my, a doggy store. Almost every animal in these stores are not really purebreds(from what ive heard anyways). He could be crossed with anynumber of things. With he may just not be up to breed standard if he is purebred. I mean, There is a dog in my community that is purebred lab (Uneducated breeder), Hes about 400 lbs. And almost as tall as a small great dane. breeders that are just in it for the money ussually do not resarch genetics or even think about what the pup should grow to be like..Even that being the case. YOu love your pup right? So it shouuldnt REALLy matter what breed he is, I know it is nice to know these things.but
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:01 PM
-

sooooo ummmm, this is why you don't buy from pet stores. He does look more siberian, than malamute, but the markings are right. He could be a cross of those two, or he could be poor quality pure bred. He doesn't look broad enough or thick enough for a malamute does he. He is some handsome tho.
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM

like i said, i know that now. so beating the dead horse isnt necessary

im just trying to figure out what he actually is, because it def doesnt seem like a purebred mal.
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
-

unfortunately the only way to find out for sure is to have blood tests done. I know luckypenny knows how to go about it, prices and all. Not 100% guaranteed tho.
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM
banned user

like i said before, he may be purebred mal he could just not be up to breed standard. It happens all the time. My grandma breeds mals, and she has dealt with alot of other breeders that dont care about what the pups are goin gto turn out to look like and they are just in it for the money. Hers are always like mals should be. But the other peoples pups turn out to look like sibes...and mal mixxes.
Old June 21st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Is there anything behavioural that makes you think this? My boyfriend used to have a dog that was part wolf who would dump mouthfuls of water on her food and let it rot for 3 days before eating it (I suppose any dog could do this...but it seems a bit primal to me at least).
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old June 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM
-

I've always thought he looked like a siberian husky/malamute cross.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM

i suppose the mal/husky mix is possible.

i just thought that since it was a mix the size would be in the middle, but he weighs 85 pounds already. that may just be me being naive to the subject of mixing breeds and what the results are...what traits are mixed or whatever.

he does have more of the husky head though i think, which is why i thought maybe husky/wolf for the size, but husky/mal makes sense also.

either way hes got the pulling instinct in him so the weight pulling will be great for him.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:38 AM

nothing behavioral makes me think wolf except that hes very pack oriented, doesnt listen to new people, i always have to intervene and tell him to do what they do in order for him to listen. but thats said of mals and huskies too i think.

hes not skittish of people like wolves are or anything though, just been looking at weight pulling stuff, and mals are pretty big in it, and i noticed that he doesnt really look like a lot of them.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine93 View Post
Oh my, a doggy store. Almost every animal in these stores are not really purebreds(from what ive heard anyways). He could be crossed with anynumber of things. With he may just not be up to breed standard if he is purebred. I mean, There is a dog in my community that is purebred lab (Uneducated breeder), Hes about 400 lbs. And almost as tall as a small great dane. breeders that are just in it for the money ussually do not resarch genetics or even think about what the pup should grow to be like..Even that being the case. YOu love your pup right? So it shouuldnt REALLy matter what breed he is, I know it is nice to know these things.but
Katherine - the average weight of a Great Dane is between 130 and 150 pounds. In order for a lab to weigh 400 pounds it would have to be the size of a shetland pony or a large adult male black bear.

Kigndano - your dog is most likely a purebed but if you got him from a pet store, you can guarantee that he doesn't come close to meeting the breed standard.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Tamer of the Furgang

Why don't you have a DNA test done ?
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

The markings on your dog, is very similar to my dog markings which is a husky mix.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Molly's mama

My parents have a Mal mix. we don't know what kind of mix because he showed up as a stray, but now at age 13 he weighs around 90 lbs. At his peak he weighed about 100. Your dog has the same body colourings as a Mal, but his head almost looks like it has some German Shepard in it!? just my
Old June 22nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Katherine - the average weight of a Great Dane is between 130 and 150 pounds. In order for a lab to weigh 400 pounds it would have to be the size of a shetland pony or a large adult male black bear.
when i compared him to a great dane i meant that he was way taller than breed standard, and i dont know his weight i was obviously over exadurating.Just trying to make it known that he is FAT!!! and even with alot of excersice/A good diet he is still fat its some sort of hereditary(spelled?) medical condition causeing him to be overweight.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
unfortunately the only way to find out for sure is to have blood tests done. I know luckypenny knows how to go about it, prices and all. Not 100% guaranteed tho.
Thats the way to find out.I had doubts about Jag being pet store pup.(no i didn't buy him.my friend did).i mentioned it to my vet and had the blood test done for the nuturing.and when i picked him up they said he was purebred by the blood test.wasn't charged any extra so maybe talk to your vet and see what a blood test would cost.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Before shelling out the money for a DNA test, ya might want to watch this (or just watch it because it's funny).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w
Old June 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

He sure is handsome whatever he is!

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Retriever Fever

I think he looks like an adorable Mal/Husky mix! He sure is sweet.
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Malamute Freak

Having done both wolf dog & Malamute Rescue I see no wolf in your dog....I do see a poorly bred (although very cute!) Malamute. Pet stores don't pay much attention to "standards". I've even had someone present me with their very blue eyed Siberian Puppy and claim it WAS a Malamute cause the papers said so

Just cause he does not look quite right now doesn't mean he is not a PB Malamute. Depending on the lines they grown for a long time...up to 3 years They are usually full height at 1 y/o or so but can still look like a gangly teen until they are all filled out.
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:54 AM

thanks malahoot

hne just looks so dang gangly right now i wasnt sure, and i had always heard "full maturity" in body by 1 yr.

he is quite tall though
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Malamute Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigndano View Post
thanks malahoot

hne just looks so dang gangly right now i wasnt sure, and i had always heard "full maturity" in body by 1 yr.
That's incorrect, full height at about a year yes but depending on the lines they fill out a lot up to 3 y/o.

Gangly is pretty normal phase in that 9 mth to 2y period...give or take depending on the lines.
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Malamute Freak

Was just looking at his pics again...the Malamute in my avatar (who is now 11 y/o)...looked just like your boy when she was a youngster
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Agility addict

First off just cause your dog doesn't look like the conformation ring winner does not mean it is part something else. This is a VERY well bred JRT. Looks more like a badly bred Chi, doesn't she? Her sire is a big winner in the conformation ring, a top hunting dog and is a producer of top conformation winners and hunting dogs.

While those DNA test are often pretty ridiculous and very very unreliable. (I am a forensic Biotechnologist.. and am going into molecular bio so this is my bailiwick) you likely can test to see if there is a species difference.
Old August 30th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Just curious..

Did you ever find out exactly what your dog is? I'm just curious because he looks like an almost perfect twin to my german shepherd / husky mix.