Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 14th, 2004, 01:05 AM

Question Another Question...just got neutered =P

Sorry for all the questions! I just found this forum & I have tons of questions about my pups =) As you've probably read, I just got a new female puppy... so I decided to neuter my other Cocker. He's 1 1/2... I originally planned on having puppies so this was a hard decision for me.

But anyways, how long should I wait before I give him a bath? He doesn't get his sutures out for 2 weeks. Also, how long should I wait before I can bring him to the dog park? The vet said that he is very "easily bruised", and that's why he still has major bruising, even after 4 days. So I don't want to bathe him or let him socialize with other dogs until he is ready... but I know he's dying to go to the dog park =)
Old June 14th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Is he very dirty? Personally I would not take him to dog parks or bathe him until the sutures are out and the wound is healed. No reason to take a chance on infection or injury.
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:20 AM

You said in another post that your new pup is the old pup's sister - and you planned on breeding them?
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:13 AM

No, no, no. When I got him a year and a half ago I planned on breeding him. But I fell in love with his sister when I went back to the breeder to show him off, so I got her and I neutered him right away =)
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Good for you for not becoming a backyard breeder and not adding to the overpopulation of pets!!

I hope you will continue to help this breed by getting your little girl spayed as well!
Old June 14th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Well, the reason why it was hard for me to make the decision was because Moley (Older, male) came from a long line of champions. I also had a lot of families lined up that wanted a Moley pup, especially because of his "freckles" as they are hard to find. So I guess I'll have to be selfish and keep him all to myself =)

Even though the vet said it would take him a while to heal because of the bruising, I think he's done pretty good. He can play with the little pup now.

Also I heard that if you neuter your dog at about 4-6 months of age, before he has had a chance to develop any mating behaviors, that they will not show up at all. Do you think that's the case for Moley? He's 1 1/2 and before was already humping other dogs (male + female) and marked a lot. Will this go away? Also will that smell in his pee go away?
Old June 14th, 2004, 01:50 PM

@LuckyRescue

Moley isn't very dirty but when I picked him up at the vet it looked like he urinated on himself, as there was urine near his neck and his feet. I kind of patted it away with a washcloth but I'd like to give him a bath, but it's sort of hard to avoid that area!

What should I do? Also I was told to keep the wound area clean, should I clean it up with rubbing alcohol?
Old June 14th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
should I clean it up with rubbing alcohol?
NO!!!!!!!!

Just keep an eye on it, and make sure there is no big swellings, redness or discharge. Other than that leave it alone.

And having champions in your dog's background is not sufficient reason to breed him, or your bitch. Unless THEY are shown to championships they should be neutered/spayed. You are not being selfish, you are doing what is mature and responsible for your dogs. Other people can get their own dogs - you don't need to supply them.

Not to mention you might be very surprised at how many people change their minds once the puppies are actually born. So unless you are prepared to possibly keep 5 or 6 dogs for their lifetimes, dont' breed.