Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 5th, 2006, 08:19 PM

"Deaf Cat Area" warning sign

Hello all - I have a deaf cat named Mister. He usually lounges around my yard happily. He can't hear cars that pull into the driveway and rarely even responds to them. I made a sign to inform people to his presence. I thought other people might find it useful so I am posting it hear. It has a picture of Mister on it. It features the words "Deaf Cat Area" and also the Spanish words for deaf cat, "Gato Sordo". My town in Georgia (US) is 25% hispanic. I know this is a Canadian forum and I would be happy to make a sign in french also if someone would tell me what the words are.

Anyway, use it and distribute it freely! I hope someone else can find it useful.

Color Sign

Black and White Sign
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Queen

Nice sign!! I hope it doesn't attract someone passing by that might hurt Mister though, people are cruel. Maybe you could try to keep him out of the driveway? He might not have a chance to get away if a dog etc. does find him in the yard.:sad:
Old September 6th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Nice sign.

But can I make a suggestion?I would definately try and keep Mister inside.Deaf cats should not be left outside to roam around..What you can do is take him out on a harness and let him get some fresh air.

I too have a deaf cat.Casper is pure white with blue eyes and was born deaf.He is an indoor cat.The only time he goes out is when I take him out on his harness and leash.This way I know my baby is safe.... .....I could never let him out knowing he can't hear the dangers of being outside.
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

You're sign is wonderful, and so is your offer. I don't remember my French well enough to offer you the correct words sorry. But that said I have to agree that I don't think I would let a deaf cat of mine outside alone. I too would worry about a dog or some other animal being able to surprise and kill them. To say nothing of evil beings that get a kick out of harming other living things:sad: Good luck with your kitty and your sign.
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM

I too have an all white deaf cat, mine has one blue eye, one green. I have been told this is common for white cats. He has some selective hearing. Ours is a indoor cat as well. He is only outside when we are with him and he doesn't roam from the yard.
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Mister must stay an outdoor cat. We live in a rural area and he is well protected by our 4 dogs who love him and do not let any dogs or animals get anywhere near here. We have no kids around and the only folks who would see the sign are people we know who are coming to see us or delivery drivers, etc.

We rescued him from someone who couldn't keep him any more. We tried to keep him inside for a while but he couldn;t figure the litter box out completely. He also longed for the outdoors and is so happy outside that I feel his life is better even with the chances we are taking.

We have between seven and nine cats now, all "fixed" and living outdoors. Most of them are semi-ferrals that we have trapped and taken to vet for shots and spaying/neutering. God takes care of them from there. We just feed them haul them to the vet for care when they need it.