Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 6th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Not-so-senior member

Question "Anxiety wrap" product

I was sniffing around this site that Luba linked to (thanks again) and found this product, which peaked my curiosity as I have a very anxious, scaredy-dog. Thunderstorms are the worst for her! She has a crate which is her safe place and she comes and goes from is as she pleases. This anxiety wrap seems like something that might give her a little security, but does anyone have thoughts about/experiences with this sort of product? Or how you would use it to train?

This is what is written in the product description:
The Anxiety Wrap uses a technique called "maintained pressure" to aid in calming your animal thereby allowing your dog to redirect their focus. When used with gentle training methods, the Anxiety Wrap can significantly reduce thunder phobia, barking, and other behaviors that would benefit from calming.
http://www.sitstay.com/store/clothing/anxwrap.shtml

There's a whole lot more written, but I figure the longer the post, the less it gets read!

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:52 AM

Somebody said a while ago that their doggy loved it when the person lied on top of him... I tried it with Jemma and Boo and they just stay there. I don't put all my weight on, just a little pressure, and they don't move and when I get up they give me that "you're done already?" look. Maybe the wrap is the same principle?
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Senior Contributor

If it works, my parents need it! How appropriate that they have a Belgian in the picture, I can't think of a more anxious dog. It makes sense though, sort of like swaddling a baby.
Old November 6th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Not-so-senior member

That's kind of what I was thinking.
When a storm rolls in, she'll try to wedge herself into any secure nook she can find. Since that's what she was seeking, we got her a small crate, put a dog bed in it and a blanket over top. She goes in it to sleep off an on during the day, sleeps there at night and will go in when she's frightened by the vacuum or other loud noises, when strangers come in the house, etc. But thunder/lightening are truly overwhelming for her and she just catapults behind whatever is nearest and shakes and drools until the storm has passed. Now, as soon as we know the storm is coming, we lock her into her crate.

It's a little expensive though for a dog of her size, so I'd love to hear from anyone who's used one

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old November 6th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Deffinately sounds like my parents' dog, at the mere mention of a storm, she hides in the laundry room in the basement (the room is completely sound proof, you could stand in there and scream your head off, and if the door's shut, no one can hear you) and hides in the piles of clothing (dirty or clean, what ever she can find)
I would deffinately love to hear of any true testimonials to its worth (or lack there of) It is a little too expensive to just say "what the heck, it's worth a try"
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I would love to hear if anyone has used it too. My parents dog is awful with thundestorms. As for Jesse, she's rather funny when thunderstorms come through. She thinks there is someone outside lurking and she runs from window to window barking at them and after the storm passes we tell her good girl, what a good watch dog -- even though she is the worse watch dog in the world when no one is home! She is only gutsy if mom and dad are around to protect her.