Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 4th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Boss-lady!

Red face Cat food comparison

So it seems that Dancer is just not into Felidae dry anymore-she just turns her nose up at it.

I got some samples from the pet food store (a couple of which I threw out as soon as I read the ingredients ) and she seemed to really like one of them: Summit (she pulled the sealed plastic bag out of the shopping bag and was determined to get at the food inside, lol!). I however, am less thrilled by it.
this is the Indoor cat hairball control one, that I had the sample of:

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Fresh De-Boned Chicken Meat, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols (vit. E),Pea Fibre, Beet Pulp (with sugar removed), Salmon Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols (vit. E), Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Ground Flax, Rice Bran, MOS (Mannanoligosaccharides), FOS (Inulin), Whole Dried Egg, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Methionine, Yeast Culture, Choline Chloride, Lysine, Yucca Schidigera, Cranberries, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), Vitamin E (dl alpha-tocopherol acetate), Ferrous Sulfate, Taurine, Zinc Oxide, *Zinc Proteinate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, *Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, *Manganese Proteinate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin K, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.

I wasn't wild about the beet pulp, the mystery Vitamin K or the ground rice and rice bran listed seperately. And it's better than their normal cat formula:

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Oatmeal, Barley, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols (vit. E), Chicken Digest, Salmon Meal, Flax, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin A Acetate, Cholicalciferol (vit. D3), DL Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate (vit. E), Ascorbic Acid (vit. C), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12, Vitamin K, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate.

This is Go! Natural- Petcurean's Holistic. It's more expensive than Felidae and I'm not convinced that it's worth it.

Chicken Meal, Chicken, Whole Brown Rice, Whole White Rice, Whole Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols (vit. E), Natural Chicken Flavour, Salmon Meal, Sunflower Oil, Rice Bran, Dried Whole Potatoes, Dried Whole Apples, Dried Whole Carrots, Dried Whole Cranberries, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Flax, Dried Whole Egg, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Yeast Culture, Choline Chloride, Lysine, Potassium Sorbate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), Vitamin E (dl alpha-tocopherol acetate), Ferrous Sulfate, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin K, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid

Here's Felidae for comparison:
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Eggs, Flax Seed Meal, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Linoleic Acid, Amaranth, DL Methionine, Taurine, Kelp, Cranberries, Apples, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Any opinions on Go! Natural? I really wish she'd just eat the Felidae.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:10 PM

I think Go! removed the menadione, but I'm not sure... I think they did though.

What about Innova? Or Solid Gold? Or Orijen?
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Boss-lady!

I can't get Innova here, and I'm not sure about Orijen. I know I can get KatzundFlocken (or however you spell it) but I'm not sure of cost.

She's been eating the Go! Natural canned, but...I just don't really like their dry one so much. Don't quite know why.

Old April 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Could be all that rice + the barley... The katznflocken is a little less grainy, but not by much.
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Kitty Consort

Skryker, Summit Brand is Petcurean's "middle ground" food, nutrition and price wise. I tried it once, but didnt really care for it... nor did the cats.
It's what I'd consider a mediocre food - not bad, but not that good.

The GO! is the top of the line for this company, but if you dont care for this brand.. one of the others would be excellent choices as well.

I've been feeding the Felidae dry for several years now.. and occassionally mix in the GO! or another type.. when they seem to be getting really bored with it.
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

GO! did remove the menadione, I emailed them back in november I think. they just haven't used up all of their packaging yet, so the bags say menadione but the food inside does not have it in it. That's what I'm feeding now, but last week I noticed that they also have phosphoric acid in it, so I'm looking to switch. Thinking maybe EVO, I'm going to do some scouting maybe tomorrow night.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:09 PM
-

I know they removed the menadione from the dog food but not sure about the cat food. I can't get Felidae here. I feed mine Innova and DVP's Natural Balance and they like both.
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:01 PM

My cats on Felidae most of the time. But I've I've decided to start rotating foods, so I picked up a bag of Orijen and the cats went nuts over it. And its reasonably priced to boot.

I have one cat who is pretty picky and even though she likes the Felidae she gets bored easily. I've tried a few other brands and Orijen has been the most popular for taste all round.
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Well mine wouldn't touch, Go! natural, felidae, innova..

But they do seem to like DVP natural balance i using both the regular as well as the venison & green pea formulas. I am also trying some solid gold, which the youngest cat seems to like also.
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I just started feeding Innova dry food,along w/Solid gold wet food,but i am noticing ever since i switched her dry food to Innova it seems like she doesnt like the Solid gold wet anymore,not sure what that is all about.
Old April 5th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

One of my three did the same with Felidae. Atae it for a short time but turned her nose up at it. Now she happily eats Innova Evo. Another to consider is the new wellness Core. I really like these high protein, low carb, grain free formulas.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old April 5th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Boss-lady!

Thanks for the recommendations!

I checked into Orijen and would love to give it a try for both cat and dogs. Can't get it in town. Ottawa, Montreal, Brockville-all around us, but none closer than about an hour away. So, higher price food plus gas really elevates the cost. Innova is the same way-closest to me is either Lake Placid or Pottsdam NY, then Ottawa and Montreal.

And in the past she's gone wild for a new food for about 2 bowls and then wants the old food again. The samples they give you aren't quite enough to wait out Her Royal Fussypants and see whether it can be a permanent switch.

Old April 5th, 2007, 09:00 PM

phosphoric acid/methionine

Stacer phosphoric acid is used as a urinary acidifier, as is methionine. I know that dog food project has is listed as useless in food but this it the purpose of it!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Last edited by gypsy_girl; April 5th, 2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks gypsy girl. Initially I was thinking more of the negative effects that phosphoric acid has on humans, reducing bone density, and that it probably does the same thing to cats and dogs.

Old April 6th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I bought a 2lb bag of Wellness Core($15),I was intending to buy Orijen,but the store was out of it,they said W Core was comparable to Orijen.
My cats just sniffed it and ignored it,the way only cats can
Brought it back to the store,got a refund...getting Orijen tomorrow to try,I find my cats do not like very small kibbles
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Between Core, Orijen and EVO, which one is the best?

Old April 6th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I'd say Orijen, support canadian I really am not familiar with Core. Never heard of it actually.
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Chico2, Rens has Orijen back in stock, it's on the end of an isle, the isle on the far left hand side as you're facing the back of the store. I bought a bag there yesterday and they had lots.

Cindy
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

To me,the best of the three(although I've never tried EVO)is the one my cats will eat
I will try Orijen tomorrow...
It's funny,my vet asked me what dry food I feed my cats,I told her Solid Gold and Chicken-Soup.
She looked at me strange and said:Are you sure they are getting all the nutrition they need??Their food,Medi-Cal and Hills apparently to her has all the ingredients(and then some) for a healthy cat..ha,ha
It's a good thing,I am better informed!!
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
It's funny,my vet asked me what dry food I feed my cats,I told her Solid Gold and Chicken-Soup.
She looked at me strange and said:Are you sure they are getting all the nutrition they need??Their food,Medi-Cal and Hills apparently to her has all the ingredients(and then some) for a healthy cat..ha,ha
It's a good thing,I am better informed!!
I tell ya sometimes vets just blow me out of the water... only they hold the secrets to proper pet nutrition
For craps and giggles you should tell them next time you are feeding raw they almost pass out
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Erykah...ha,ha.
CLM,I go to Ren's every 2 weeks,because of birdseeds,corn on the cob(for my squirrels )and catfood +treats for Bailey,I am going tomorrow hopefully they still have Orijen left.
I did not know about it beeing Canadian made
Wellness Core is brand new,to compete with Orijen..
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Chico2....I go there for all my pet stuff and birdseed too. Don't have enough aquarium and koi pond supplies there yet though :sad: And I also feed the squirrels...I buy 3 bags of peanuts in the shell there every week. Keeps the squirrels out of my feeders, besides, they have to eat too. Once in a while, I'll buy one of the 50lb bags of peanuts in the shell, you should see the size of that bag, and the look on my husbands face when I ask him to get the stuff out of the trunk for me.

Cindy
Old April 6th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Stacer

Based on the amount used in foods, and per the report, the amount is minimal. These bone density tests are refering to significant amounts.
Old April 6th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Boss-lady!

Here's the Wellness Core (my local stores carry Wellness canned for cats, so I should be able to get Wellness Dry, too-the Felidae is on the end of the aisle so I never look any further ).

Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Salmon Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor. Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Tomato Pomace, Cranberries, Chicory Root Extract, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Rosemary Extract.

Wellness® uses Ethoxyquin-free protein sources.

I know this stuff won't be cheap, so why not use whole Tomatoes?

Don't mind me as I put several types all in one place so I can easily compare them.

Wellness Indoor Cat:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Rice, Ground Barley, Ground Rice, Whitefish Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Oat Fiber, Chicken Liver, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Cranberries, Olive Oil, Chicory Root Extract, Cranberry Extract Powder, Cranberry Fiber, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta*Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, L-Carnitine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophil us, Taurine, Rosemary Extract.

Wellness Chicken:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Rice, Ground Barley, Ground Rice, Chicken Fat(preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Natural Chicken Flavor, Salmon Meal, Chicken Liver, Cranberries, Tomato Pomace, Olive Oil, Chicory Root Extract, Cranberry Extract Powder, Cranberry Fiber, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine, Hydrochloride, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Taurine, Rosemary Extract.

Wellness Salmon:
Salmon, Salmon Meal, Whitefish Meal, Rice, Ground Barley, Ground Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Deboned Turkey, NatUral Chicken Flavor, NatUral Fish Flavor, Cranberries, Olive Oil, Chicory Root Extract, Cranberry Extract Powder, Cranberry Fiber, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, lactobacillus Casei, lactobacillus Acidophilus, Taurine, Rosemary Extract.

Wellness® uses Ethoxyquin-free protein sources.

How odd that they have whole cranberries PLUS cranberry extract and cranberry fiber, too (which I suspect is cranberry pomace-left overs from juice making.) Rice+Ground Rice moves the rice up the ingredient list, too. Hmmm.

Orijen: (be nice if they'd list them all together and in order! ).

FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS

Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal (low ash), turkey meal, steamed russet potato, fresh-caught Northern Whitefish, chicken fat, fresh whole eggs, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, tapioca, chicken broth, sunflower oil, flaxseed, Atlantic kelp, steamed carrots, spinach, peas and tomatoes, sun-cured alfalfa, apple fiber, psyllium seed, rosemary extract, yeast extract (MOS), glucosamine HCl, cranberries, black currants, chondroitin sulfate.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS

Chicory, burdock and marshmallow root (FOS), rosehips, stinging nettle, marigold flowers, L-carnitine, fennel seed, chamomile flowers, milk thistle, chickweed, summer savory.

ORGANIC MINERALS

Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS

Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium (B. bifidus), Saccharomyces (S. boulardii).

PREMIUM VITAMINS

Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).

Apple fiber=apple pomace? More juice leftovers?

These all seem pretty good to me overall though. Anyone else's thoughts?
I'd prefer the Orijen but that's going to involve an hour's drive to get, so...I'll bug the local stores until they get it!

Still, compared to the Cat Chow she ate for years (the only thing she'd eat and I didn't know any better until I came here ), any premium food is great!

Tomorrow, I'll wander into the store and check out the prices on the Wellness and see. Wellness comes in 2 pound bags, so that's not too bad to try.

Old April 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Boss-lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
I'd say Orijen, support canadian I really am not familiar with Core. Never heard of it actually.
I agree, erykah!

Hee, hee-warring priorities-want the food for the good of my furkids, want to support a Canadian company, don't want to use more gas that I really, really need for the good of the planet (and my wallet).....

Old April 6th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Skryker, I too was a little miffed at the lack of ingredient order on the Orijen website. I want to know how much of each ingredient is in the product, nicely laid out so I can read it, no clicking here and there to get different ingredients.

Old April 6th, 2007, 02:05 PM
-

Skryker, keep bugging your local pet store to bring in Orijen. I finally convinced mine yesterday to start bringing it in.
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Boss-lady!

It'd be nice, Stacer!

I'll have to wait until I can actually hold the bag in my hands, I guess. It should be roughly in the order they listed them, even if they broke it into catagories, I think. But I'd like to know for sure.

I'm going to look for the Wellness core for now and see what happens. If all else fails, I'll go back to Performatrin Ultra. It's pretty good (minus the Menadione and the Brewer's Yeast) and she liked it. Anything she'll eat is a good food I suppose.

Old April 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Boss-lady!

Just to muddy the waters a bit more , here's Acana Adult Cat (also made by Champion Pet Food who make Orijen)

Chicken meal (low ash), fresh boneless chicken meat, steamed oatmeal, chicken fat, ground whole flaxseed (natural source of Omega 3), herring oil (natural source of DHA and EPA), chicken broth, canola oil, yeast extract (MOS), chicory root (FOS), yeast culture (saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles), yucca shidigera, marigold extract (source of lutein), rosemary extract, whole garlic, Atlantic kelp, carrots, parsley, tomatoes (natural source of lycopene), apples, cranberries, sea salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, lysine, vitamin A supplement, dl alpha-tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), methionine, L-carnitine, vitamin D3 supplement, *iron Bioplex™, *zinc Bioplex™, *manganese Bioplex™, biotin, *copper Bioplex™, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin B12, calcium iodate, folic acid *chelated mineral

Old April 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Boss-lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Skryker, keep bugging your local pet store to bring in Orijen. I finally convinced mine yesterday to start bringing it in.
I will, rainbow! It's so annoying that cities and towns all around me have it, and in Pet Valu in some places, which is one of the 2 chains in town, and some pretty small places have it, but not here.