Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 7th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow!!! So many cats

I went to the aspca website and it also pulls up rescue places out here,cant believe how many cats are out there,so sad,but i found alot that are about a year old,de-clawed,and at this place called H.A.L.O Rescue they are 30.00,so might get a cat in the next few weeks......
Old July 7th, 2004, 03:40 PM

I may be disagreed with, but I think a cat could be very, very good for you.
Old July 7th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes I think a cat or two,if you can afford it,will be good.
But not if you are going to dump him,if you get another dog as planned.
Please prepare yourself before,especially if you do not know much about cats.Also,even cats cost money,vet,food,litter.
But having had cats all my life,they make wonderful little furry huggy-babies,
but don't forget,cats live a lot longer than most dogs,plan on having the cat for a very long time(up to 20 yrs)even if you get married or move.
In rescueing a cat,you'll be doing a good thing,I always found males to be cuddlier and easier tham females.
Old July 7th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I would never do that,if i got a dog someday the cat doesnt get dumped,damien would of never gotten dumped,but he had some serious issues that i could not get handled and honestly would never have fully trusted him again...Yeah i had my own cat when i was little,my mom still has our other cat fancy she is 15..I know they need lots of stuff also[cat scrather,toys,litter box,litter....They also have little stories about the cats,there are alot they said are fine with dogs,so a couple of weeks i will be getting one....
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

If I were you I'd adopt a very old cat who needs a quiet home to retire in. These cats usualy don't get adopted very quickly because of their age, but they make a great pet.
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Well i dont want a very old cat that i get attached to and dies in a year or so..I see what your saying,but i will not do that/...I would love a kitten but for the sake of older cats i will get one that is about 1 year old...........I am 34 not some old fart that wants a cat that does nothing.................
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I didn't mean a very old cat, but maybe a cat who is about 8 or something. I see what you mean, but still, it is nice to get an older cat. Older cats aren't as active most of the time, but you most likely wouldn't get unwanted behaviors such as climbing screens. I think that most people actualy think the same things that you do about older cats. Thats OK, but the older cats just don't get adopted then.
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I know and i feel bad but i am not gonna lie,i do want one that is no older than 3 years...They all are at foster homes right now,so they write down a little about them,some say needs someone home alot,others fit right into my lifestyle.................At least i will save one cat that is older,the kittens sure are cute.....
Old July 7th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

My Puss-Puss just turned 15 and you'd never know it. She's still active. Please don't discount the older cats! But I understand where you're coming from.
Old July 7th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor

No i wouldnt who knows what will happen when i get there,the right one could turn out to be older...I will know when i get there which one clicks...Unlike when i got my gsd and ex picked the one.........
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I second the cuddling! Puss wraps her paws around my arm and pushes her little nose in my armpit!
Old July 7th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidi,I never meant to imply you"dumped"Damien,you did the right thing for him...any news?
But we all now what happens to cats when they are no more a convinience,or boyfriend is allergic,or they are moving...the cat will be dumped like so much garbage.
I am not saying you would do it,just that you are aware they are a long-term responsability.
Old July 7th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Heidi I wish you lived closer, you and Shadow would have been so good together
Attached Images

Old July 8th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Senior Contributor

He is adorable,iwish i did live closer also,yes my mom s cat is 15,i have intention on ever getting rid of the cat for No One.Whomever i ever wind up dating will have to know i am a package deal...............I talked to tina last night,he is a little sh%& she said,but he is doing great when we were on phone i guess he was on couch with ice cube tray in his mouth,she said she didnt recognize him one day[so many dogs there] she cant really tell if he got bigger but i assume he did if she couldnt pick him out,she has a cat there she said would be perfect for me,his name is tux,1 year old,total lap cat,thinks we would be perfect together,so i am gonna go out there sat and see him,she brought up a good point about if damien will be ok if he sees me,like how in prison now they have those programs where prisoners raise the dogs for a year then have to let them go...Well i guess that really is more for me when i see him,so i will see him sat when iam there,i will take some pics,she said he will be fine seeing me and then i leave kind of like when grandparents come to see grandchildren then go.I am so excited to see him....Will post his pics monday..