Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 6th, 2014, 11:58 AM

New Cat / Medi-Cal SO Alternatives...

If all goes as planned I'll adopt a young male Persian next week. Can't wait! Such a beautiful boy. I'll be posting pictures for sure.

The cattery owner said he had a bout with crystals and a blockage last year and their vet put him on Medi-Cal SO. He's been on this food ever since, and hasn't had any more problems. I'll get some of this food (canned + dry) for starters but I would rather not keep him on it of course.

My other cats eat mostly Wellness canned (chicken / turkey in rotation) with a bit of Wellness kibble. Is Wellness okay for a cat who has had crystals? Pointers & advice would be appreciated.

To think that I used to know all of this by heart...
Old August 6th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I knew all this at one time too. I was able to put the male kitten who had crystals back on regular but lower ash content food. That was 20 years ago and I think most cat foods are now lower in ash than his was.

Our more recent female who had Cholangial Hepatitis could not go back on regular food. I tried, she got sick again. The Vet foods (my Vet had three brands of urinary tract food and they all cost a fortune) have some ingredient that thwarts crystals in much higher count than any regular commercial food I found. What the heck was that ingredient? Sadie has been gone a year and a half and I forget. Old age by the way, 18. We didn't think she would make it that far with her health history.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:40 PM

I won't be adopting him unfortunately, but for an unexpected reason. He had his pre-adoption checkup about ten days ago and the vet found inflammation in his left ear - turns out it's a polyp which will have to be removed surgically. The cattery owner has to keep him until further notice.

However I will be adopting another boy - a fine looking red & white male who won a Champion title (I don't know when or where, but I'll find out soon).

Expect pictures for sure.