Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 30th, 2010, 12:32 PM

On my dog's belly . . .

. . . he has suddenly (almost overnight) developed two protruding nipples.

Male dog, 8 years old, neutered almost all his life.

I have him at the vet today, but I was looking for someone who might have had the same thing happen to their pet.

He has two dark protrusions that look just like a female's nipples when she is nursing puppies. These were not there two weeks ago.

Anyone have anything like this happen with their dog?
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What did the vet say, Rebecca? I'd certainly be concerned.

Are you sure these are growths of some sort? Do they coincide where his nipples normally are? Could they possibly be bloated ticks?

Hope you got good news at the vet!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:38 PM

Concerned . . .

Thank you for your response, and I'm sorry it took so long to answer.

The vet found a few swollen lymph nodes, so we are having them analyzed (biopsy on Thursday). I won't know for a week, but I am very concerned. The vet will not, of course, come out and say he thinks it is very serious, but he is a friend as well as my vet and he let me know gently that this isn't a good thing. Apparently the "nipples" really were nipples and were simply irritated by scratching a "hot spot" on his belly . . . ironically, the thing I was worried about was minor. However, it did get him into the vet's, which caused us to catch the lymph glands, so . . .

We will continue to be optimistic until we hear from the biopsy.
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope the biopsy comes back clean! Maybe the lymph glands were just swollen from the hot spot

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Dracko has one nipple that is enlarged. The vet told me not to worry about it as long as it was only the nipple and not the gland around it. I've kept a close eye on it and over the last year nothing has changed.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old December 7th, 2010, 03:06 PM
-

Hope you get good results from the biopsy .....keep us posted.
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:03 PM

I'm sorry again it took so long--thank you all for your concern!

He does indeed have lymphoma. It has progressed beyond the point that we feel chemo would do much good, but he is on Prednisone. He feels 500% better with the Prednisone--eating again, running around--it's just so difficult because I know when it stops working, that's it.

We are now concentrating on spending the best Christmas ever with Flagler and making him happy and loved all this season.

Thank you all for your concerns! I wish I had known about this site sooner. Your support has really helped me during this time.
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Rebecca,I am so very sorry,take one day at a time,hopefully Flagler will have a long time yet

Last edited by chico2; December 13th, 2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old December 12th, 2010, 07:36 PM
-

Rebecca, I am so very sorry to hear that Flagler has lymphoma.

If you can switch him to a raw diet or homecook for him that would be best as cancer thrives on carbohydrates. If that is not possible then put him on a grain free kibble if he is not already on one.

We sure would love to see pics of your boy too. And, remember there is always someone here to offer support if you just feel like talking.
Old December 12th, 2010, 09:16 PM

Thank you so much for the support--it means a lot! I'll post some pictures of Flagler.

He was a rescue puppy and his birthday is the same day as mine--he was born in my vet's office after he picked up the mom as a stray.

He has brought so much joy and happiness into our lives, it is hard to let him go, but I want to do what is best for him, always.

I will def. try the diet--along with the Prednisone, that might give us more time (I read stage III taking pred. is probably 4-6 weeks max.).

Thank you again for your support!

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e.../IMAGE_054.jpg
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:11 PM
-

Flagler is a very handsome boy.

If you google canine cancer diet you will find lots of info .....here are a couple of websites ....

http://caninecancerawareness.org/html/Diet.html

http://www.dogcancer.ca/diet.html
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:04 AM

Thank You!

Thank you so much for the links! I am working on his diet right now. I'm happy to say that the Prednisone continues to improve his feelings--he is quite bouncy for the first time in several weeks. He is eating/drinking much more as well--he had lost a good bit of weight these last two weeks--maybe as much as 10% of his body weight

He is happy and as comfortable as we can make him. We will work on his diet and extending his life as long as possible.

Thank you again for all your advice, support, and help!
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm sorry you didn't bet better news, Rebecca Give Flagler a hug from ol' hazel, k? And keep one for yourself

Old December 16th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaImre View Post
I'm sorry again it took so long--thank you all for your concern!

He does indeed have lymphoma. It has progressed beyond the point that we feel chemo would do much good, but he is on Prednisone. He feels 500% better with the Prednisone--eating again, running around--it's just so difficult because I know when it stops working, that's it.

I am so sorry to hear this diagnosis

If you are going to treat alternatively, I would consider using the supplement IP6 Cell Forte by Enzymatic Therapy. Doxycycline, the antibiotic, has also been known to help some lymphomas.

There are also some links about cancer in general here:
http://germanshepherdhome.net/forum/...html#Post32998