Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 17th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Uncontrollable mewing

As you can probably guess from my other topic, I have no idea how to train cats! In addition to my compulsive licker, I've got a compulsive meow-er.

He used to sleep in my room as well, but once I had to move the licker out, I moved the other outside of the bedroom at night too.

Now he literally stands right outside my door and meows. Its not for a few minutes, or even a few hours. Its literally the entire night.
Its almost funny, because if no one seems to notice him, he starts to sort of cram his face into the space under the door and meow louder. The only real solution I hvae found is to keep the cats in a room far away from my bedroom so I dont hear him.
By the time I let them out in the morning, I can tell he's exhausted from meowing all night.

This has been going on for months and months. I thought he'd get over it, but no luck. What can I do?
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I don't have any suggestions but to try to ignore them. You must be an awfully good mommy to these cats, because they sure love you.

As for the licking, could it be the salty taste on the skin that your kitty likes?
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM

I think its the saltiness she's after, because she likes me more than my wife. And embarassingly, I can admit that I am probably a little more..umm..sweaty?

As for the meowing, its a different cat. Each has their own eccentricity, unfortunately or fortunately I guess
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I've read that cats hate closed doors. I read this somewhere and for the life of me I can't remember why they have a problem with this. But, I've seen this to happen to my kitties sometimes. My half bath and front door are right next to each other. I have the front door blocked with a screen, because they used to run to the door when I came home, and my hallway is narrow, so it was hard to get in and keep them from getting out. Anyway, I move the screen to get into the half bath at night, when I go to close the door after I've used it, they sometimes stand in front and meow. This happens to me in the master bath too. I'd be taking a shower and Vlad, my male kitty of 5 months, would be meowing like crazy! I've now taken to just showering with them in the bathroom. I also noticed the other day, he was in the closet and started meowing. AS soon as he saw me he stopped. I think its probably just a slight case of separation anxiety. If he's a healthy kitty, then this is the only thing I can think of that might be your kitties problem.
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Swift Tribe

*cackles* sorry.... at least im not the only one!!!! my cats get a kick out of torturing me too. just wait till you go on vacation and come home to find out the cat sitter GAVE UP on cleaning up after them. needless to say i dont leave ANYTHING on top of a surface anywhere when we go unless i dont mind finidng it on the floor, chewed up, scratched up... i hope you figure out something before it becomes so ingrained. good luck!!!

-ashley
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:42 AM
The demons' servant

My cats used to do that....but then after ignoring them for a hell of a long time they stopped....and only would meow if they heard movement in the bedroom (talk about annoying)...

Actually my cats have been pretty good about sleeping the entire/most of the night and being awake during the day...

They hate my brother's closed door and my parent's room and tend to scratch AND meow at the doors. Thankfully they're allowed in and out of my room so they don't do it to me.

Megan
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

[QUOTE=Love4himies;453065] You must be an awfully good mommy to these cats, because they sure love you.
QUOTE]

Whoops, I guess you are not a mommy, but a daddy, sorry. My cats lick my husband's skin and not mine.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:51 PM
~Cat Servent~

Well I guess you just decide which is more disruptive, will it be easier to discourage the licker or tolerate the meower. I have multiples of both, and an 18 lb brute who sleeps on my head! I just surrendered and they go where I go, doors are only shut when company is over, and my lickers have since ceased to do it while I'm sleeping because this got them kicked off the bed. I now sleep with all six in and out of my room at night and only once in a blue moon do they wake me up. I do think a lot of those type behaviours are a bit of anxiety on their part. Closed doors, or closed eyes make them nervous.

It's funny though in the beginning it was them who cuoldn't sleep without me, now I can't sleep without them. I sleep terrible if my bed is not covered with kitties!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
It's funny though in the beginning it was them who cuoldn't sleep without me, now I can't sleep without them. I sleep terrible if my bed is not covered with kitties!
That sounds like me! I used to have a horrible time sleeping. So much so that I'd need sleeping pills and sometimes not sleep more than a few hours for days on end. Every since I have the Dynamic Duo, I sleep great. When they were at the vet after their S&N, I left them overnight, I missed them so much. I hardly slept! As it is, now Oksana sleeps curled up next to me, and Vlad wakes me up every night for his cuddlefest, in which he experiments with different positions comfortable to HIM. LOL, like laying across my neck, laying against my shoulder with his butt in my face etc...
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
~Cat Servent~

LOL ya what is it with the butt in the face??!! I know ya love me but I don't need to sniff your butt!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M