Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:22 PM

New Foster Dog...Behavior??

I work at an animal shelter and yesterday I brought home this little dog named Oreo. It was an impulsive thing- some of the other dogs beat him up and he was hurt and there was nowhere else to put him so I brought him home. He has a very sore ear right now. But aside from being a bit defensive of his ear, which is totally normal and understandable, he is a very, very good boy. He is sweet, cuddly, nice to my kids and puppy and leaves the cat alone. He's very clean and slept in his kennel last night with no problems. One thing though- he was playing with a squeaky stuffed animal and I couldn't tell if he was being playful or possessive. He was growling and wouldn't release it, his hackles weren't up so he could have been playing tug, but his tail was not wagging so I wasn't sure. In the end I put the toy away because I wasn't sure. What do you think?
Old August 23rd, 2017, 10:48 PM

It sounds like a wise move to put the toy away. The puppy is under heavy stress so he just needs time and some TLC until he adjusts to your surroundings.

Talking to him and making a bit of a fuss over him helps a lot too. All you can do is play it by ear.

It will be interesting to hear how you make out with it.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:31 PM

Yes I did just keep it put away. I might try again with different toys later, but he is an older guy I think, and I didn't want to stress him, or make him look bad to my husband who is iffy on whether or not he wants an extra critter in the house. So far he is a very good boy
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Hello I had a manchester terrier with a high prey drive. I couldn't let him play with stuffed animals or anything that squeaked. I remember he had this teenie stuffed squirrel and i had to take it away because he was would guard it. So that removed he was fine. But watch around wildlife and cats he could be a chaser.
Old August 24th, 2017, 08:10 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Lucky Oreo, having an angel take him out of the shelter! So glad you were able to take him. Any chance of getting some pics of him when he's settled in a bit? (Yes, I will unabashedly beg for pics that way.... Would love to see more of the pup and the kitty, too...wink wink nudge nudge )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 24th, 2017, 10:45 AM

Actually I have a couple good ones already. So far, he gets along with Betsy, our 8 month old pug mix and submissively avoids Lily our cat. He hasn't noticed the guinea pigs yet. But he is great with the kids and very sweet. I won't give back the little stuffies for now. I want his good side to shine through, and he is a very good boy!
Attached Images

Old August 24th, 2017, 11:11 AM

I've been really bad about not taking pics lately! Betsy is hard to photograph because she is always on the move! But I'll take some today and post asap. We had Betsy spayed a couple of weeks ago, and built a "catio" for Lily to escape to
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG ! He is adorable !
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:13 PM

Here are Betsy and Oreo in their new coats! Betsy already has a raincoat, so I got one for Oreo too, and a new winter coat for Betsy. They were on sale 75% off so I couldn't resist. I think red is totally Betsy's color!
Attached Images

Old August 24th, 2017, 08:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I think they look smashing in their coats!! The colors suit both of them!

Oreo looks like a pint-sized lab!

They're both adorable! How does Lily like her catio?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 25th, 2017, 03:53 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

such cute puparoonies
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 28th, 2017, 04:40 PM

Lily loves her catio! Especially now since her nose is a bit out of joint since we brought home Oreo. He is doing great! I let him sleep with me last night and he did not leave my side all night long. I can't wait till Betsy is fully house trained so I don't have to kennel her at night anymore. No accidents today. I think her new buddy is a good influence on her!
Attached Images

Old August 28th, 2017, 04:41 PM

By the way, see the white in the inner corners of her eyes? I think she might have the beginnings of cherry eye. Do you think she might grow out of it?
Old August 28th, 2017, 08:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

They really are adorable together! And happy that Lily is enjoying her 'private luxury catio spa'!

Not sure about the cherry eye. I can't see much on the pics. We had a dog with something similar--but it turned out to be a defect in the cartilage that controls the third eyelid, as I recall. It looked very similar--like a little pink ball or growth in the corner of his eye. It required a minor surgery to fix. Best ask your vet about her eyes--maybe it's something they can nip in the bud if they catch early enough.