Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 6th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Exclamation I need some opinions on a kitty I have for the night.

So as I was leaving for work this morning, I ran into Miguel (the maintenance guy where I live), some of you remember he helped me with Czari. He told me that in the last few days he's been seeing a cat that looks to have been let go by someone or lost, because he was very tamed and people friendly. He told me that the security guard that works the midnight shift wanted to take him home, but hasn't been able to find him when it's time for him to go home.

So trying to find a way to help this kitty find a home, I told Miguel to go into my apartment and put him in there. I specifically told him, "Get the big carrier in front of the window, put a small plate of food in there, and put the cat in the carrier. Then separate the carrier from the others by putting it in the foyer and moving the screen to prevent the other cats from getting to the carrier." Simple right?

I got home, and found the carrier had not been touched, and there was a small plate of food in the foyer. I walked around a bit, then saw Vlad and Oksana hissing at something in the kitchen above the fridge. It was the other cat. I'm beyond angry.

I don't know this cats situation. He could be sick or have worms or fleas and he's scared! I don't know if he's neutered, and he could very well have begun a major fight. I managed to get the carrier up where the fridge is, and he went into it, hissing all the way.

The only thing I could think of doing was to take him upstairs and put him in my bathroom. I had thought to let him spend the night in the bathroom loose, but he's scared, hissing and just not sure of what's happening. I'm afraid if I let him out, I may not be able to get him back in safely.

So, I decided it may be best for all of us if I just leave him in the bathroom, the lights are on and there's air conditioning in there, and leave him in the carrier. He won't be able to use the litter, but I don't think he would use it anyway with the stress he's got now.

The gang are not happy. They keep hissing at each other, and Maks only just now finally came out from under the bed.

Do you guys think the little guy will be okay in the carrier until tomorrow morning when I give him to the security guard?

ETA: When my pasta is ready I'm going to go across the street and get some baby powder to see if putting some on the gang will keep them from hissing at each other further.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:42 PM
-

If it were me AG, I would open the door of the carrier and let the cat have the roam of the bathroom. It needs to have access to a litter box.

Maybe once you yourself is calmer about the situation the rest of the gang will calm down too.
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

The gang seemed to have calmed down a little. Still some hissing, but okay otherwise.

The guest kitty is sleeping in the carrier, so I opened the door for him to go in and out as he wants. I'll have to be careful getting back into the bathroom, I don't want him running out of there, but I don't think he will. I think he feels safe in there.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

AG definately leave the kitty in the bathroom! just in case. You really dont know his history or anything so better be safe than sorry. I agree leaving the cage open at least he can feel a little less stress not feeling trapped.

The kittys will likely calm down but they probably wont be happy until the intruder is gone! Gotta remember they smell so much more than we do!

At least kitty is safe for the night and has some food in his belly!

Good job on hopefully having a home for the kitty!

I would almost be tempted to place a towel along the bottom of the door on the outside so your kittys dont hang out in front of the door.

Good Luck MF!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
I would almost be tempted to place a towel along the bottom of the door on the outside so your kittys dont hang out in front of the door.

Good Luck MF!
That's an excellent idea! I'm going to go up and do that. It might help when we go to bed too.

Okay, I went back up and put a little more food on the dish for him, and put some water in a bowl for him too. I don't know how long he's been with no food or water. He was napping, but lifted his head to look at me, then went back to sleep. I put a towel on the bottom of the door. Right now, only Kiska and Maks are the ones hanging out up there being curious. The others are down here with me.

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yeah thats what I was thinking...Actually I had a visuak of 5 sets of paws on one side of the door to 1 set on the other side...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Kiska is a curious little girl, but I didn't expect Maks to be so curious about our guest.

Old January 6th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Pet Guardian

awww kitteh rescuer! I would let kitteh out of carrier for access to litter, food and water. when you go back in, in the am, crack the door slightly and look for kitteh. if kitty is right at the door reach down, pick up kitteh and walk in with it. put it in carrier.
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Kitty pimp

lol well the cats have a hobby to night lol cat on fridge warching 4? 5? others making comments on the floor
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:10 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I bet it was just the language barrier AG. Seems like you have things under control. Just wanted to warn you your gang may have some residual hissing at each other for a few days. Don't be alarmed. It will get better. Their little sanctuary has been invaded and they will be a bit confused.
Great job mf!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 6th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Heheh, great job!! From what I've noticed with the boys and Noella, is that they are a teeny bit grumpy with each other. I make sure to give them lots of lovies. Fortunately, they still come for snuggles and loving, and they're all eating and sleeping fine, so they're not too shook up about her being her.
Old January 7th, 2011, 01:04 AM

Please explain the concept behind baby powder....how exactly does this work...I foster cats kittens and such and we have a permanent cat...Onyx....and at times it can be difficult now I'm curious as to how baby powder fits into the equation....
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Good job AG . If there wasn't fur all over your condo, then it is a safe bet that they didn't get into a fight.

How did it go last night? And did you get any pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by O>C>D>pets View Post
Please explain the concept behind baby powder....how exactly does this work...I foster cats kittens and such and we have a permanent cat...Onyx....and at times it can be difficult now I'm curious as to how baby powder fits into the equation....
The baby powder is to disguise different cat scents, making them all smell the same. I have tried it on my foster litters when one comes from the vet, but it has not worked for me. They still seem to be able to pick out the kitty then just came from the vet and get all hissy .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

A happy ending!

Thanks for the advice and support!

I am thrilled to say the little guy is either on his way to his new home or already there as I type this.

He stayed in my master bath all night and I let him have the run of it. He ate all his food, which tells me he was very hungry. He slept well, and when I walked into the bathroom this morning to give him breakfast he was very chatty. I highly suspect he was either left behind after someone moved (there have been several moving trucks at the complex lately) or he was tossed out, or he got out himself. I believe it was one of the first two scenarios. This little guy was WAY too friendly, not at all like the other strays who avoid people. At one point he meowed at me and reach up with his little paw and touched my face. Just an absolute doll.

I took him downstairs with me, in the big carrier I have, rather had. I told the security guard, his new daddy, he could keep the carrier. He asked me what kind of food to buy him, and I wrote down Fancy Feast for him. This guy doesn't make a lot of money, so I wrote down some flavors that would be best for kitty. I also wrote down for him litter info, Feline Pine clumping is inexpensive and natural so I think that will be good for him. And I also gave him a bed that none of the gang use, so he's pretty much all set.

He was very excited about his new kitty so I'm really happy to have been able to help find the little guy a home!

L4H, I'm sorry I didn't get any pictures. I thought about it finally last night, but I was already in bed and told myself I'd take some this morning, but I was in such a rush I forgot.

The gang were still slightly hissy with each other this morning, but nothing major. They'll get over it.

Old January 7th, 2011, 08:55 AM
~Cat Servent~

that is awesome AG! And the gang will be back to normal in no time....though they have something to talk about for a while!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM
-

Glad everything went well and, hopefully your gang will be back to normal in no time.

That was so sweet of you to send the kitty off with a carrier and a bed .....I'm sure his new daddy appreciated it.
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, great job, AG! Your kitties finally settling back into their normal routine?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Aw, great job, AG! Your kitties finally settling back into their normal routine?
Yep, all back to their routine. Sort of.

I found a lost Yorkie yesterday morning and put him in my bathroom before I left for work. Before I came home I bought him some food, but when I got home it turns out the owners were found. So I had this bag of dog food, I figured I'd take it back right?

Wrong! Vlad managed to get into it and guess who has a tummy ache this morning? I found it odd that he didn't jump on the counter while I got their breakfast ready, then I found it really odd he wasn't where I put the plates down with the others. I found him on one of their beds, just laying there. I put a late of food under his nose and he halfheartedly sniffed it. When I walked back to the kitchen I saw the bag of food on the floor, with a hole in it, AND several little pebbles of barfed up food.

Old January 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, no! Whatterwe gonna do with you Vlad?

That won't hurt him once he passes it, though, will it?

A Yorkie, eh? You've been having some exciting times of late.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Oh, no! Whatterwe gonna do with you Vlad?

That won't hurt him once he passes it, though, will it?

A Yorkie, eh? You've been having some exciting times of late.
OMG, he's a handful that's for sure. LOL, one of his vets calls him my problem child.

I don't think the food will hurt him, other than upsetting his tummy and maybe giving him the poops. I don't think he had a lot, and seeing that he barfed some up, he likely didn't go back for more after.

Hazel, I can do with less excitement. Both times I've been ill-prepared which has made things harder. Thankfully though, everything worked out.