Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 14th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Doggie Wench

Bleeding Ear Tip - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

I just got home from work about an hour ago and all three dogs were sleeping peacefully. I went out in the yard with them for 10 minutes while they did their business. Upon entering, I notice drops of blood all over the floors, Ava shakes her head and now my diningroom looks like a murder scene . The very tip of Ava's ear is bleeding. I can't see any cuts or booboos of any sort. It's just the tip that's bleeding. I've applied pressure for 15 minutes but when I stopped, she shook her head and it started to bleed again. I applied more pressure, she shook, she bled yet again. I called the vet and was told to keep applying pressure and to bring her in if I thought it needed to be bandaged. I tried to bandage it myself but she'll shake which makes it bleed yet once more.

Anybody know what else it is I can do to stop it?
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Missing My Bubba Bear

when we would cut ourselves heavily when we were little my grandma would put coffee and it always worked.
It has to be a really finely ground coffee, like greek, turkish even a fine espresso will do. I've used them all.
It always works and it's natural.
Old January 14th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Can you use the quick clot stuff that works for nail trimming? Or in my case, we use flour or corn starch? It works to stop the bleeding.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old January 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Half Way To Crazy

what about a little polysprone.. it worked with Bree for small cuts.. or just plane vasaline.. it usally stopps the bleeding..

what happened to make her bleed???? did she get caught on a low branch??
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
what happened to make her bleed???? did she get caught on a low branch??
I have no idea whatsoever. I came in, they were sleeping, she wasn't bleeding at this time, walked into the backyard with them, watched them pee and sniff around (no low lying branches), came back in with them, and noticed blood on the floor dripping from her. She shook her head and , it went flying everywhere. But I can see absolutely nothing on her ear . It was dripping from the very tip.

She's perfectly alright though. Loved to be in my arms as I was applying pressure . They are all now napping with Daddy so she's not shaking her head anymore, thus no bleeding. I'll keep a careful eye on it.
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Streets had the same problem a couple of years ago, I *think* from diving into a bush, but who knows really.

I basically just ended up making him lay down and stay put until I could get the bleeding to stop, then literally stayed close enough to him for the rest of the night to stop any head shaking/scratching/rubbing and eventually a scab formed. It did take forever to heal though, and the cut was all of 2mm or something.

You could also try Liquid Bandage type stuff
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:11 PM
-

Hopefull it will stop on it's own after napping with Daddy.
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I just got home from work about an hour ago and all three dogs were sleeping peacefully. I went out in the yard with them for 10 minutes while they did their business. Upon entering, I notice drops of blood all over the floors, Ava shakes her head and now my diningroom looks like a murder scene . The very tip of Ava's ear is bleeding. I can't see any cuts or booboos of any sort. It's just the tip that's bleeding. I've applied pressure for 15 minutes but when I stopped, she shook her head and it started to bleed again. I applied more pressure, she shook, she bled yet again. I called the vet and was told to keep applying pressure and to bring her in if I thought it needed to be bandaged. I tried to bandage it myself but she'll shake which makes it bleed yet once more.

Anybody know what else it is I can do to stop it?
I don't know if this might be the same thing as my cat had, but off and on for about 3 months my cat use to do that, she would shake her head and the blood from the tip of her ear would splatter everywhere, if would dry up for awhile , and then start up again, this went on for about 3 months off and on. So I decided to take her to the vet and she went in for day surgery where they clipped a tiny , tiny little peice shaped like a V , from the tip of her ear, and 1 stitch in it and she has never had a problem with it since. Just thought I would share that with you in case it continues on with ur dog.
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Doggie Wench

So far no more bleeding . I panicked when she shook her head the first time...there always seems to be so much more than there really is when it comes to blood. I freaked and picked up the phone to call.......911? I had no idea who I was going to call, silly me. I could hear Hubby in the back of my mind saying, "Get over it, grab a towel" .

I'll put some Polysporin on it in the morning when I'm sure it won't bleed again. Or maybe I'll just take her in to the vet if it starts up again. I really can't see anything at all. I took a flashlight and Sandman's magnifying glass and can't so much as see a tiniest scratch . Really odd.
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Swift Tribe

uh..... i have a friend whose husband is working on a new bandage to help blood coagulate faster. isnt going to help now but....

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Has she got anything you can see inside her ear that is causing the shaking?

I've always just either Kwik Stop or flour & water paste for nail clip cuts (which are usually really hard to stop),both work really well, have you tried a flour & water paste?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Has she got anything you can see inside her ear that is causing the shaking?

I've always just either Kwik Stop or flour & water paste for nail clip cuts (which are usually really hard to stop),both work really well, have you tried a flour & water paste?
So far it hasn't bled since she napped with Dad so I haven't tried to put anything on it. I just went to check on her again...she's resting on the Sandman's bed now...and all I can feel/see is a wee bit of dried blood on the tip. Nothing that I could see in or around her ear. She only started shaking her head after the bleeding started so I'm thinking she was able to feel it drip. I have the Kwik Stop out just in case it starts again.
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:12 PM

you won't need to use anything

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Some Pack members, who shall remain nameless , were testing relative status in recent weeks and we ended up with three lacerated ears--one gash, two punctures. There's a product called EMT Gel--it's a sticky gel that dries pretty solid. Works great on patching up ears! It's not that expensive, LP. If her ear starts bleeding again, you might want to order some. It has collagen in it, which promotes healing, and it did a wonderful job at both stopping the bleeding and healing the wounds!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Doggie Wench

Sounds like something I ought to add to our 1st aid kit. I have to order this gel online?
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Sounds like something I ought to add to our 1st aid kit. I have to order this gel online?
Call around to some of the pet supply stores in your area--it's been catching on and I've seen it occasionally in stores here, I think. So they may carry it locally there, as well. If not, PM me and I'll send you a link to an online catalog that carries it...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:55 AM
-

Rens Pet Supply sells EMT Gel if you have a store near you or else at their site online.
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

I have used many techniques over the years. Not all will work, please adapt any method to make it fit your situation.

Styptic pencil or powder, silver nitrate sticks (will sting somewhat), ice pack, hand pressure and a bandage, cautery (high heat, effective but hurts).

My favorite for home situation is to take a sock or panty hose, cut the toe out, and place over head such that the ear is under the wrap. You can then place an absorbent bandage under the head wrap and this will apply pressure to the wound until it either stops or you seek further help at the vet's.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490