Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 16th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Raw Dog Food/BARF Typical Weekly Menu

I thought it would be good for people who feed their dog raw food/BARF diet to tell everyone what a typical weekly menu would look like.

Our 8 month old yellow Lab cross, Pheoebe, has been on raw food from 7 weeks old, she is 43 lbs. right now and gets two 12oz. meals a day.

Ground chicken backs and necks - evening meal
Whole chicken backs and necks - evening meal
Ground turkey necks - evening meal
Ground beef and organ blend - evening meal
Ground duck - evening meal
Butcher Block (mixed ground meat/organ/blended veggies/bone dust) - morning meal
Ground green lamb tripe - once a week morning meal
Sardines (in water) - once a week morning meal
Egg - mixed with morning meal every other day
Salmon oil - mixed with morning mean every day
Alfalfa, sea kelp, yeast powder blend - mixed with morning meal every day
Beef marrow bones, knuckle bones - evening recreation a few times a week
freeze dried liver - treats

I get most of these products frozen in one pound blocks from Buddies Natural Pet Food in Saanich BC. They are a great Raw Food store.
http://www.buddiesnaturalpetfood.ca/

I'll be interested to see what other people are feeding their dogs.
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Doggie Wench

Sounds like items one can get at butcher and poultry shops...except much cheaper, no ?

We feed raw as well but unground. 1/2 chickens with organs, 1 1/2 - 2 lbs chunks of beef, frozen sardines, sometimes cubed beef trimmings with minute amounts of juiced veggies, etc. It's so simple (not to mention cheap) avoiding commercially prepared raw ground foods and I know exactly the quality they're getting.
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:38 PM

We get all our stuff from butchers/hunters/local grocery store/co-op. Much cheaper than kibble.

Monday : am - beef heart pm - pork riblets, chicken giblets, egg
Tuesday: am - venison pm - chicken quarter, liver
Wednesday: am - turkey pm - sardines, kidney, egg
Thursday: am - pork pm - chicken quarter
Friday: am - turkey pm - pork riblets, beef heart
Saturday: am - beef brisket pm - venison, chicken giblets
Sunday: am - beef heart pm - chicken quarters, egg

It all changes depending on what we have available. But this is what a n'normal' week could look like.
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:08 AM

I started few weeks ago, with all these charters and tables on excel, list of all the different things and how often and how much my dog should get...

And now I've putten it aside, and relax. I have veggiemix and fruimix in small freezing bags in the freezer. Chicken pieces, lamb pieces, pork, beef, offal, bigger bones etc. in my freezer also. My boyfriend is a butcher so whatever he brings, thats what the dog is getting! Every evening I take out something for tomorrow, put it out to thaw, and go to sleep. Fruits and veggies dog gets couple times a week (translate=everytime I feel like it). Meat I split in 2(-3) meals aday, since she can't eat too much at a time being a pup.

No calculating. And my dog is doing great! So there is no weekly menus, variety is the key.
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Chow Pei Rescue

Typical Weekly Menu

I've put up a typical weekly menu here - CLICK

Maybe you'll find this helpful
Cheers
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:33 AM

I feed something similar to gorge/fast so I can give Susie(56 lbs lab/shep/husky) bigger pieces - we are very relaxed at my house. Susie has been raw fed since she was 4 months old. Some really good shots of her are here. She is one year old in the pictures.

Let me think of what the few days have been like:
Saturday: 10 lb turkey, whole(they were on sale for 99 cents a lb, unseasoned). She ate about 1/2.
Sunday: no official feeding but she got what she could mooch & her homemade liver treats(she gets them everyday during her walk).
Monday: I emptied her fridge meat bin so she got the other half of the turkey and a pork heart.
Today: I will give her a couple eggs, a can of sardines(in water), and a frozen ground organ mix.

I have to thaw more meat - I'll probably break out the beef hearts and tongues but normally I feed big - 2-4 lbs and then I feed small - eggs and sardines. Susie looks great and her poo is fine
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:49 PM

It's not so cheap when you can't feed poultry (allergies), don't live with a butcher and don't hunt any more..sigh. Otherwise you all are making this 100% raw sound a lot simpler than I initially thought.
I know I won't buy a bone grinder and grind and chop and mix and measure for hours at a time. I don't even put that much work into my own meals. Scruff gets raw a couple times a week...got him some green tripe this week to add to it (yuck!)... I suspect I'll be whole hog raw soon enough though.... time to get to know the butcher down the street.
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM

We're very simple here. Mornings are typically ground beef, supplemented on a varying basis with beef liver, beef heart, raw eggs (one dog eats the shells, the other doesn't) or sardines in varying combinations. Fish oil capsules are added along with Bertes Immune Blend and Bertes Green Blend.

Dinner is normally either chicken carcasses (buy them by the case - lots of meat attached and organs too!) or pork breast bones.

We add in more variety depending on what's available (cheap).
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:58 PM

We have only been doing the raw for about a month full time and so far we've been feeding leg quarters once a day mixed in with organ meat and eggs. We feed about 2.5# per day. Tonight we just gave Dante his first taste of ground beef so we will see how that goes over.

Tags
barf, dog, food, raw