Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 30th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

"My favourite"...just wanted to share...

Some people are "doggy" and get it, others don't. Every now and then even a doggy friend (who should get it) will surprise me by asking...so about a year ago I wrote this and posted it as a note/discussion on my Silhouette Racing Rescues facebook page. I was browsing through old stuff last night and came across it again...just wanted to share:

Having several dogs, I have sometimes been asked "Which one's your favourite?" or "If you had to pick one..."

How do I respond to question like that? How can I explain? Let's see...

Rain, my little girl who is my constant shadow. The one who will "protect" me from everyone else. The one who, when out walking with the pack and I decide to lay on my back in the snow gazing at the bright blue sky and swaying tree tops, will lay right beside me, head across my chest or neck, guarding.

or, would it be Dru? The lovebug, the one who leaps onto the bed the second my alarm turns on, making sure I'm awake but pinning me down and nuzzling into my neck. I say "Let's get up!" and he snuggles closer, never letting me up until he's had his requisite morning cuddles. And let's not forget the way he will sit in front of me and just stare, willing me with his eyes to get down low and give him hug so he can get that nose into my neck again. If I never get anything done in the day it's because I've spent all my time hugging a dog I swear this dog has got the most mind controlling "love-me" eyes...he should have been called Romeo

Then there is Thunder, the clown, the smiley dog. He likes to sit in front of me, leaning back against my legs and tilt his head back until he's smiling up at me. If I sit down and join him on the floor he sits on my lap, maybe thinking he's still a puppy.

I would be remiss in not mentioning Lightning, but he has too big of a personality to even begin to try to describe him. Another shadow, always at my side.

And so I could go on down through the list and name them all and the things I love about each one, but the thing is, I can not name a favourite, I could never pick just one. Each one is an individual and every one is my favourite, each in their own unique way.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old April 30th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Gail,that's so true,we love all our animals for often very different reasons,but the love is the same...how could you possibly chose one over the other.
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I couldn't pick a fave, either. I don't usually get asked the question, though. My most frequently heard question is, "You have how many dogs?!", followed closely by, "But they don't all live in the house, do they?!?" I don't know that many doggy people here...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I couldn't pick a fave, either. I don't usually get asked the question, though. My most frequently heard question is, "You have how many dogs?!", followed closely by, "But they don't all live in the house, do they?!?" I don't know that many doggy people here...
Oh I absolutely get those ones too! I think we should be neighbours...we both have packs, both like the cold...just think, I could get you and your crew sledding and we could hit the trails

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old April 30th, 2011, 06:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Now that would be a blast!! Couldn't help with the geese, though--my fellas freeze on point when they see birds Geese aren't impressed.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 30th, 2011, 08:22 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wonderful story Gail.
I too get asked if I have a favourite. Even with all of my kitties. How can you choose? I sure can't. They are all different and unique and that's why you love them. Every single last one of them.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I have Bo, the hyper boy who flies up onto my lap, with the quickest tongue in the west, determined to give as many doggy kisses as he can. Dundee who is jealous of brother Bo because he loves his mum more, he thinks. I value the quiet times with Dundee, when he'll sit quietly on my lap while I rub his chest and talk to him. My gentle boy, Matthew, my protector amongst the shelties, such a loving dog. Toby, the best lap warmer one could want, the little man with the soprano bark who is always last to come inside. And so it goes on. I adore Silk and she is a favorite, but then they all are, you wouldn't part with any. I do wonder, looking back, where I fitted all 12 dogs in the house, it still seems crowded with 8, but again, something you wouldn't be without.