Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

For Bully Breed owners...

I received an email from a fellow Pitbull owner, who is doing a book along the lines of "Chicken Soup for the Soul", regarding Pitbulls (bully breeds).

She is looking for stories from Bully breed owners, would like each story submitted to not exceed 5 pages, however you can submit as many stories as you wish, provided they are honest and she would like them to convey a wide variety of emotions.

If you are a bully breed owner and would like to submit your stories of adventure with your 4 legged companion, ie: accomplishments, funny stories, the discrimination you've faced so and so forth, please submit your stories to

pitbullstories@live.com.
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

here is the email I received with guidelines:

Hello!

My name is Melanie and I own both an American Pit Bull Terrier and an American Bulldog. I’m sure you’re aware of how difficult it is to own or house these types of dogs in today’s society. People just don’t understand the breeds because they don’t get to know the true or personal side of pit bull type dogs and what it’s like to own them.

Recently there were a few attempts to pass BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) in my area. After the failed attempts I came across so many people with misunderstandings and over-reactions about Pit Bulls. My dog’s life was threatened just for walking down the street and people think she wants to eat their children and small dogs. It’s just crazy what people think about our pets.

After reporting the threat against my dog’s life and the police stating they wouldn’t even document it, I had to ask myself “I’m just an ordinary citizen. What can I do?”

This led me to the idea of writing a book of short stories about this beloved breed. It will be along the lines of “Chicken Soup for the Soul” but with our own twist on it. I want the general public who haven’t seen what it’s like to own a pit bull to hear what it’s like from responsible owners.

I’m looking for stories about every aspect of owning these dogs. I’m trying to get stories about the day people found their picture on a rescue web page, how hard it is to work at convincing someone to let you get him or her, when they brought home their precious bundle of joy, the way the dogs interact with the family, touching stories about them growing up and the time when the dog left for the Rainbow Bridge. This book will give people an inside look at what it’s like to live with this wonderful breed and see how the negatives of misinformation really do cut more than skin deep.

I’m hoping that people will be touched when they hear how proud we are when our four legged best friend wins an agility championship or passes their CGC (Canine Good Citizen) test. People need to hear about what it’s like to fight BSL and the threats against our four legged family members just because of the breed they were born as, not because of their actions.

I would greatly appreciate if you would consider submitting a story about any pit bulls that have come through your life and left their paw prints on your heart. The story can be about anything you would like. I think of this as a way to honor and memorialize that special four-legged being in your life.

I would like to state that at this time any stories submitted are considered as being donated. However, proceeds from the book will go toward helping pit bulls in many ways.

If you would like to support this book by submitting a story you can email your story to me at pitbullstories@live.com. Also, if you have any friends who would like to share their stories about their pit bulls please pass this on or they can email me at the address listed above.

Here are some guidelines for any stories being submitted:

*All stories have to be about bully breeds.
*There is no limit to how many stories you can submit.
*The stories can be about anything you would like.
*The stories can cause any emotions; anger, sorrow, fear, happiness, etc.

*Please make sure they are true stories.
*You can include a picture of your 4 legged friend with the story

*Don’t forget to give the story an awesome title.

*Please try to keep the stories between 1-5 pages but if it runs a little longer, that’s ok.
*Please try to submit your story by July 12th, 2009

If you are interested in submitting a story but cannot think of something, you’re more than welcome to email me and I can help come up with some ideas.

Thank you for your time,
Melanie V

pitbullstories@live.com

P.S. If you would please consider posting the above information on your website and inform employees and volunteers so others have the chance to submit their stories as well, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Wow, what an amazing idea! I'm not a bully owner, but I wish her the best of luck. I'm sure some great stories will come from the members of pets.ca.

Keep us posted about the progress of the book (if you hear any news)!
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Geek Club CEO

Great idea! I'd submit buuuuut...we're undercover
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

That's an excellent idea. The more people step up and give their stories about how really wonderful pitty's are the better.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Master of the Drool!

what a good idea!!! I am forwarding this off to cousin for Ace.
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:32 AM

Is it OK to cross-post this?
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggsmom View Post
Is it OK to cross-post this?
Absolutely yes!
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
Great idea! I'd submit buuuuut...we're undercover
I think you could still submit even tho undercover, just make an attachment letter explaining your situation, that you want to share your story but you would prefer not be identified because of the situation. She knows all about BSL, I'm sure she will accomodate your needs.

Perhaps you could submit a story about facing ridiculous BSL and how it has affected you as well as stories about the joy your beloved "baby" brings to your life.