Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 29th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Dog love life!

Hi!
I have a cockapoo 9 months old living in Toronto suburb Oakville, and I have recently faced a question, neuter or not? Have reserched internet, and after going through all pros and cons, as well as taking into equation my feeling about it and dog behaviour so far, decided not to, at least not yet. Few reasons, dog is behavior is very good, no agression, respects me as well as others, even at 9 month old I can take him to park and back off leash if commanded to stay at my feet. I don't buy into story that his helth will be improved being neutered, (I think just the opposite), if in some off chance he gets testicular cancer, so be it, I am sure none of us would trade some of our organs to chance something wrong happening to them in future. Sure there will be some consequences not being neutered but I am willing to deal with them.
Also everybody's situation is different so I am here not advocating one aginst another. This is personal situation.
Him not being neutered, though, will not supress his normal sexual urge, and I would like to help him to find a partner from time to time. That is why I am writing this post.
I would like to find for him female dog that is either spayed (not sure if spayed dogs want or can have sexual intercourse) or owner that wants to breed his cockapoo to produce a litter.
Please let me know if there is a internet site that deals with this issue, or if anybody knows an owner of female dog interested to help out.
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:30 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You come on a pet site where a huge percentage of the members are VERY pro spay/neuter to ask that question? I think you would do much better to go to kijiji and ask on their forum. I'm sure you'd get a few takers there.
By the way - female dogs who have been spayed have absolutely no desire for sex. That is why they get spayed.
At 9 months your dog may well listen to you. I hope you can say the same at two or three years old.

Making it easy to find Pets.ca rules...........
http://www.pets.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=10&a=12

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Hi Davord, not sure if you read this or not.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=36&a=12

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I see you beat me to it, 14+.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

There are 43 ads for Cockapoo puppies in the GTA area alone on kijijji..Why would you want to add to the overpopulation of a mutt. You have control of your youngin right now but what about when there is a female withing a 5mile radius that is in heat,,guarantee pupper wont be so willing to listen then. Then you have the other male dogs at the doggie park that have an issue with the amount of testosterone your boy is giving off and the dog fights start to occur depending on what breed of dog yours gets into a fight with i guess will determine how high your vet bill is going to be to fix your dog back up. Seriously get your boy snipped, don't add to the already huge number of mutts being sold while others are in shelters being put to sleep because there just aren't enough homes.
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Well said Aslan.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Good points, aslan.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 29th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I'm not sure I understand your way of thinking at all. It is in your dogs best interest, healthwise, to have him neutered. He may seem well mannered and easy to control right now, but wait until he matures a bit. You may find yourself having a very hard time once he's around a female in heat (or even trying to walk him where one has recently been). Personally, the thought of being able to prevent testicular cancer, as well as lowering the chance of prostate cancer and other illnesses is well worth it. I thought as you do, at one time, until our babys prostate was so swollen the vet could barely get her finger in his rectum, we had a horrible scare of prostate cancer and he developed stud tail which almost caused it (his tail) to be amputated. He got horrible infections that would get better until treatment stopped, then flare right back up. It is not umcommon for the infection to get so severe that the tail has to be amuptated. 2 different vets told us the same thing: it will never clear up completely as long as he is "intact".

http://www.ivillage.com/pets-symptom...s-3/7-a-220028

http://www.practical-pet-care.com/ar...05090609583186

Since he has been neutered, his tail is back to normal, no more infections and his prostate is tiny, no cancer

Why risk all this when a simple neuter will do the trick?
Not to mention the thought of helping some backyard breeder turn a profit on a litter of puppies that will have a ton of health problems (Yes, I have one at home that came from a BYB) and/or end up in a shelter/being shuffled from home to home and most likely abused/euthanized.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 29th, 2010, 02:41 PM

I can't even comment on this post politely so I will say nothing.

Except this... judging from the information you stated in your best, you are in no position to be breeding your dog.

If I had to recommend a site to you, I would suggest www.petfinder.com. Search all the "cockapoos" (which by the way is not a breed but simply a mutt) and see how many are looking for homes in your area. I would also recommend you volunteer your time at a SPCA where they regularly have to euthanize many, many animals... it may open your eyes.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:16 AM

Thanks!

I wanted to thank everybody for their time and interest in providing their inputs.
My decision of not neutering my dog is not the final one.
I understand issue of overpopulation, but I do not intend to let my dog go out of backyard or leash uncontrolled on impregnation spree. If he goes out he will be with me or with family member. Breeders who want to breed their dogs will do it with or without help of my dog. Him being not neutered should not increase overpopulation.
I do not agree with opinions of some that 'mutts' are of lesser value. Every dog is uniqe and individual, purebred and mixed breed, and my dog is just right the way he is.
I do apologize to put my post on your site. I was not aware of fact that this site is only for people who are against not neutering. Even though I am not sorry I did it because it gave me more information toward making final choice on neutering or not.
Again thank tou all.
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I am a very proud owner of a neutered Anatolean, GSD, and shih tsu. I am a proud owner of a spayed min pin, doberman and foster shih tsu. All my dogs are purebreds that are rescues. Had none of my dominent males not have been neutered - there would be a battle and disruption in my home. If my females where not spayed, I would have a breeding colony of mishaps.

The beauty about being human is that we are able to make choices. Some good and others not so good that turn into regret.

You are now empowered with information to make a choice not only for yourself but your dog and others as well.

Good luck with your decision.
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:30 AM
Compromised account

I would just like to comment on something.. This whole thing about sex and dogs & cats... There is no um, pleasure factor in it, this is procreation only and they just follow the nature: female in heat + male around = random breeding. The only two species that do it for pleasure is humans and dolphins. Hense finding a "spayed partner" is ummm not going to work. And yes, your pup is 9 months old, but trust me, as soon as he smells a female in heat all his good behaviour will go out the window. Its just how hormones work.

The fact that you say that the breeders will breed with or without you is a little ignorant, because that means you don't really know/see the extent of this problem, of overloaded shelters; even if you say you know about the overpopulation, of people working day and night to rescue pups from certain death. Each one of these pups is special and unique, just like yours. Mutt or purebred.. Each one of them deserves to live. But they die...Why? Because there are not enough homes to take them in, because people think like you... Because people don't think that their one dog will make a difference... But it makes all the difference in the world.

What's to be done? one by one, people should realize the impact of one careless breeding on lives of living creatures and make certain decisions. Your idea of "manly" dog is only in your head. Your dog will not miss the testicles or the hormones, or the humping, its all humanized... They don't have the same emotions and feelings about this as we do.

You said you're researching? Look up the numbers of euthanized animals... Visit a shelter or two, look in their eyes when they are being taken to be put to sleep.. Please also check the various ways that dogs and cats are being euthanized with.

I really hope that you will choose to neuter him. He has no need to be intact, except for your wish for it to be so. Even if you wanted to breed him in order to have his pup, there is never a guarantee that you will have the same temperament and traits that your dog has. its just how it is.
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I would like to add a couple of things. It may seem like nothing to you right now, but say you don't have him neutered. Say 6 or 7 yrs from now you decide you want another dog (that's what happened to us) but your current dog is still not neutered. It will be so much harder to introduce a new member of the family with an unneutered male. Then say you decide to neuter him after all to calm him down (again, this happened to us), but now he's much older and has a very high chance of something going wrong while he's under for surgery. Ours made it through surgery fine, but now he has problems with his pancrease, which he never had before. If you're leaning towards doing it, please, do it now while he is a pup. They are much more resilient and the hormones aren't completely set in at this point.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
I would like to add a couple of things. It may seem like nothing to you right now, but say you don't have him neutered. Say 6 or 7 yrs from now you decide you want another dog (that's what happened to us) but your current dog is still not neutered. It will be so much harder to introduce a new member of the family with an unneutered male. Then say you decide to neuter him after all to calm him down (again, this happened to us), but now he's much older and has a very high chance of something going wrong while he's under for surgery. Ours made it through surgery fine, but now he has problems with his pancrease, which he never had before. If you're leaning towards doing it, please, do it now while he is a pup. They are much more resilient and the hormones aren't completely set in at this point.
Very true!
Old October 1st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Investigative researcher

Just wait until your dog becomes an adolescent and decides to mark every surface with his urine, and escape every chance he gets to scout the neighborhood for entertainment.
Which is nothing compared to what he can do to get to a female in heat.

Dogs have been known to leap through plate glass windows, take out doors in their frame, chew right through 4 " walls, injure themselves immensely, in their efforts to get to a female in heat. They will scale fences and end up on house roofs. It truly is amazing what the biological urge can do. Most dogs hit on the road are roaming males--very often owned by people who will tell you their dog never gets loose--is never unaccompanied, is always on leash. Why would you want to have to lock down the house and yard periodically, and always be on alert in case of?
I can understand allowing a dog to mature a little before removing testicles--but a year is certainly long enough.
Old October 1st, 2010, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I understand what you're saying and I want to respectfully request that you read and re-read all of the posts in this thread. Even if you feel that you aren't harming your own dog by this decision give some thought to the female and to the pups. Your reasoning is that your one dog is not going to be a big contributor to the pet population problem but if your dog, plus another dog, plus another dog, all helped to produce a litter that's a few dozen more puppies out there. Can you think of 36 people who would provide good homes and food and vet visits?

What I'm saying is...we can't hold one individual responsible for pet overpopulation but we can all BE RESPONSIBLE by not contributing to it! Does this make sense?
Old October 1st, 2010, 05:32 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by davord View Post
I do apologize to put my post on your site. I was not aware of fact that this site is only for people who are against not neutering. Even though I am not sorry I did it because it gave me more information toward making final choice on neutering or not.
Again thank tou all.
Yes, it is true a large majority of the members who post on a regular basis are pro spay/neuter. We do have members here who feel as you do about not neutering. However, none of them have asked us to help find their dog a mate for sex or to produce a litter.
I'm not sure if you are aware of the number of dogs that are put to sleep every year, that is killed every year as put to sleep sometimes sounds way to nice, because there are no homes for them. In North America the number is around 10 to 12 million. 10 to 12 million dogs a year that no one wanted. That's pretty sad is it not?
Seeing as you asked for a female dog who "wanted sex" you are looking for a female in heat. Spayed females have no interest in sex. Females in heat lead to pregnant females. Those pregnant females will have 4, 5, 6 or more pups. Please keep in mind that while you are breeding that female so your dog can relieve his sexual urgings and having these pups there are many many other cockapoos being spit out daily by puppy mills and back yard breeders. So while you personally are not contributing to the very serious pet overpopulation that female your dog found sure is. Oh yes, if you decide to go ahead and do this you yourself then become a back yard breeder. I don't know if that is a title you want? A back yard breeder is a person who does not have bad intentions. They just want to have a litter.
You may want to look at this web site to get some further insight........
http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/byb.htm

This site was written specifically for cats but the section I have printed out here goes for dogs as well. Please take note. If you want to keep your dog "happy" by satisfying his sexual urgings there is going to be a whole lots of puppies born. Please also note the bolded sections. Replace the words cat/kittens with dog/puppies. So while your pup is "happy" and satisfied (for the moment) you invariably are helping to shorten a female's life. I don't belive that is what you want.

http://www.messybeast.com/catfacts.htm

'I don't want to spoil their fun'.

Mating is short and painful, not fun. It's no fun producing up to 20 kittens a year. Constant kittening is debilitating and can shorten her life. Nor is it fun to fight for the right to mate; tomcats risk catching killer diseases such Feline Leukaemia or Feline AIDS through bite wounds. Wandering tomcats may be injured or killed on the roads as instinct, not fun, sends them in search of a mate.

'I enjoy my sex life s/he enjoys hers/his'

Sex = kittens. Cats do not have recreational sex. Cats don't have voluntary contraception. Stop being anthropomorphic. Hundreds of thousands of healthy cats and kittens are destroyed each year because they can't find homes. Population control by birth prevention is better than population control by disease, starvation or destruction of healthy animals.
Anthropomorphic means giving your dog or cat human feelings. They are not human. They do not feel the way we do about sex. They mate to procreate. Pure and simple.

I hope this helps you understand why we reacted to your post the way we did. I also hope you stick around and contribute. I personally love mutts. I have had a few in my lifetime.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; October 1st, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old October 1st, 2010, 07:03 PM
Geek Club CEO

I'm looking for the "like" button again, lol!
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I wanted to thank everybody for their time and interest in providing their inputs.
My decision of not neutering my dog is not the final one.
I understand issue of overpopulation, but I do not intend to let my dog go out of backyard or leash uncontrolled on impregnation spree. If he goes out he will be with me or with family member. Breeders who want to breed their dogs will do it with or without help of my dog. Him being not neutered should not increase overpopulation.
I do not agree with opinions of some that 'mutts' are of lesser value. Every dog is uniqe and individual, purebred and mixed breed, and my dog is just right the way he is.
Again thank tou all.
I hope you don't think I was trying to imply that your mutt is of 'lesser value'. I have two mutts myself and love them just like any other dog. All I was saying is that there are many, many, many cockapoos without homes... and many purebreds as well. I find it appalling that many pet stores, BYB's, etc. give a mixed breed dog a designer name to try to market them better. A dog is a dog... I don't use the word "mutt" as an insult.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:25 PM

vasectomy!

My intentions are not to breed this dog, and I do understand and aprove opinion of many about unwanted litters and dogs being destroyed for the reasons of overpopulation.
My reasoning behind having doubts of neutering is that important part of their personalities and their lives is being taken away from them. I know my life as an owner of a neutered dog would be easier.
Gentleman on different site has mentioned possibility of vasectomy being done on a dog, in which case they remain in their natural state but still unable to produce a litter.
Does anybody know something about that?
p.s. cassiek - no offence taken.
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
You are so right , My favourite cats are mutts, but please don't add to the already overpopulation of pets. Female dogs/cats don't really want to be mothers/fathers, they just want to be loved and taken care of.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 4th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
My intentions are not to breed this dog, and I do understand and aprove opinion of many about unwanted litters and dogs being destroyed for the reasons of overpopulation.
My reasoning behind having doubts of neutering is that important part of their personalities and their lives is being taken away from them. I know my life as an owner of a neutered dog would be easier.
Gentleman on different site has mentioned possibility of vasectomy being done on a dog, in which case they remain in their natural state but still unable to produce a litter.
My friend opted for a vasectomy in her dog, I have not spoken to her recently to find out how that was going. I think they wanted it done early so he could not reproduce but wanted the testosterone while he was growing.

I don't see that an important part of their personality is taken away (I am talking cats, though). I find them happier and more lovable.

The only thing with a vasectomy is that he will still get the urge and still go after female dogs in heat, possibly get into fights with other dogs due to his scent, etc. etc.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Doggie Wench

The only drawback of a vasectomy vs neuter is that you don't take away their desire to procreate. They will still do anything to get to a female in heat and you risk dog-dog aggression with other male dogs. Even if he's extremely well trained, trying to override instinct is near impossible. There was a new member here who posted not too long ago that she received 45 stitches to the head and body, including other punctures, for trying to separate a male and female. Can you understand how strong that mating drive is for a dog to do something like that?

The neutering of our adopted adult male was delayed because of health issues. And I'll be honest, in the meantime, I was anxious about having it done as well. I weighed all pros and cons of the surgery but, what made up my mind was the fact that other male dogs were nasty with him and vice versa. And then a friend of dh's, who's female was in heat, came over to visit (he didn't bring her but her scent was on him). Lucky started foaming profusely at the mouth and proceeded to pee up all the walls and furniture . He went totally nuts and I had to ask the friend to leave. It took hours before he was back to his old self. So without delay, as soon as he recovered from his illnesses, we had him neutered. What we've noticed since...even though he doesn't always get on very well with other adult males now (probably as a result of being neutered so late), he absolutely can't tolerate an un-neutered male.

The best thing about having him neutered is that I believe we took nothing away from his personality. If anything, it's added to it. No more obsessively smelling for females in heat (not to mention the foaming and peeing everywhere ), no more males wanting to pick a fight with him (only a quick sniff and everyone's on their way), and best of all, I don't have to worry about him trying to climb fences or take off on me to get to a female...it's much more relaxed all around .
Old October 4th, 2010, 05:02 PM

There is no point in vasectomising a dog, you either castrate to remove hormones and organs prone to cancers and to make the dog calmer and more manageable or you leave them intact and deal with the behaviors that come along with it.

A dog being 9 months and intact still doesn't indicate his final disposition when he is fully adult and at full hormone levels.
You will also need to be careful in the dog park as intact males are much more likely to be attacked then castrated as other intact males view them as competition. A couple near me had their intact pug get attacked by a intact Doberman and it developed a cyst in its back pressing on its spine. $3000 surgery later the dog is still limited mobility in its hind end.

Get your dog a stuffed toy to hump and leave it at that, please don't breed him as about 90% of his puppies will end up put to sleep or shifted from home to home to home. Please think of all the puppies you will assist in killing by allowing him to breed.
Old October 4th, 2010, 10:32 PM

The neutered males at the dog park will also likely turn on him, as the higher testosterone scent will get them riled up. Seen it many, many times.
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Hi davord,

Sorry if I miscommunicated just wanted to make it clear that I absolutely adore mutts! It just upsets me when petstores, BYB's, etc. give them fancy designer names in an effort to make them more sell-able. If people are looking for a mixed breed dog, there is TONS in shelters.

Personally, I think your dog will be much happier once he is neutered and will be able to enjoy life to the fullest without having to worry about sniffing out a mate in heat and all that business plus, there is all the health benefits to neutering as well which certainly improves his quality of life and possibly his longevity.