Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 16th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Blind Dog

I am hoping to be a successful candidate for adopting a blind 2 year old boxer from a rescue. We feel that we have a suitable enviroment to provide him a loving forever home and are anxious for the opportunity to have him join our family.

My questions is, does anyone have experience with providing suitable needs for this special dog, and any advice on any aspect of this type of situation.

Years ago we had brought into our family a sheepdog who was totally deaf. She was an absolute sweetheart but sadly we lost her last summer after living with us for about 7 years. We knew nothing of rescues at the time, and infact feel that we did indeed resue her from a questionable breeder. We were told that she had never been bred, but the first visit to the vet we were informed that she had the life bred out of her.

So any help or input will be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to Colby who we are will be allowed to part of our family.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Geek Club CEO

Scorch!
Yay, for adopting "special" babies!!!! (You know I have a soft spot for that...Jaida says "thank you!")
If you're looking for advice, info, whatever, about life with a blind dog, try posting here: ...it's a forum specifically for people with blind/deaf pets, and there are some really knowledgable people there and good information. It would be a good starting point anyways...
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the link bendyfoot .... I will check it out.

Just realized that I forgot to put the link to Colby ..... here it is: http://www.boxerrescueontario.com/feature/Colby.cfm
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Geek Club CEO

I just had a look at his pics, what a doll! Cutest jowly face ever!!!
I hope this process works out for you...I'm sure you'd be a great dad for him and be able to rise to this special challenge.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Geek Club CEO

http://www.handicappedpets.com/links...php?category=8
The above link will direct you to a list of resources/links related to blind dogs. Also potentially useful!
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:54 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He's absolutely gorgeous, scorch! So sad that he had to be placed by his original family--that would just tear me up if I had to do that.

If you adopt him, the only advice I can suggest is to make sure your furniture is arranged in a way that will please you for years--rearrangement of the furniture is pretty hard on a blind dog. As for the allergies, if he does well on the regimen they work out for him, great--and if he doesn't, there's the pet food forum here that I'm sure has some useful advice.

When will you find out if your application has been accepted? You must be so excited! You're such an for taking him on. He deserves a good home with you.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:39 AM

Good luck and thank you for wanting to adopt such a special baby!

On our walk the other night we can across a blind golden retriever. She absolutely melted my heart and I haven't stopped thinking of her since. She seemed very happy and appeared to be getting along just fine despite her disability...

You are doing such a wonderful thing!
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:19 AM

blind dog

As a rescue I commend you for adopting the less that "perfect" dog - as we all know there is no such thing.

You might want to try Seacure or SeaVive for your dog's constant itching. The Whole Dog Journal addresses this problem in their May 2007 issue. You can search both products on the internet. I have found they work wonders for the puppy mill survivors that come into our rescue. I hate to call them a miracle fix - but sometimes it seems like that. Both are completely natural and can't hurt your dog. You can test for your dog's allergies but in the end you still have a dog with allergies. This addresses the problem at the root cause. It might be worth a try.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:56 PM

Thank you all for you kind and encouraging comments. We are anxious for "that" phonecall that would bring us closer to having Colby join our family. As any good rescue, they have suggested to us that Colby may no longer be available, as per their generic email., which we are prepared to accept.

The rescue as they said is based on volunteers, and their reply to my application may take up to 2 weeks.

We are hoping and praying that Colby can join our family. It would be a blessing for us and we will do everything we can for him to make his life full and enriched if given the opportunity.

Will keep you posted.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM

Have a 30 to 40 minute phone interview scheduled for tomorrow evening
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch View Post
Have a 30 to 40 minute phone interview scheduled for tomorrow evening
Oh, good luck, scorch!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
NOT a senior member

Scorch, just want to wish you luck in your interview. I'm sure we will all be crossing fingers for you! By the way....Colby is a doll!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:41 PM

Thanks Purpledomino and hazelrunpack ..... Colby is an outstanding dog, and as much as we want him to be a part of our family, we certainly understand that Colby is the only concern with this adoption.

We are so lucky, we live in the semi-country in the Niagara Peninsula and recently an abandoned railway track has been transformed into a walking /biking path called the Friendship Trail. It is 30 feet from our back door and we enjoy 2 to 3 walks per day with our Bonnie. It, we feel is a wonderful feature to offer Colby along with our 1/2 acre of property.

If it is meant to be, it will .....if not, we feel assured that Colby will be placed in the most appropriate enviroment and family for his needs. That is what rescues are all about, and for the love of dogs, I am glad that there are people out there that care so much.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Scorch,thank you for wanting to adopt a special dog,Colby looks very special
It's sad the family had to give him up,but these things can happen:sad: Boxerrescue,be it in Ontario or Quebec are great people and I am sure have taken very good care of him.
At only 2 yrs old,he has a lot of living and loving to do,hopefully the awful allergies can be figured out.
for both you and Colby