Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old January 10th, 2005, 06:32 PM

Pitbull video

Forgive me if this has been posted already, I don't get on here that much and don't have time to check all the posts.

This was posted on another borad I belong to (horsey board) and it just broke my heart... I'll warn you - it is not for kids as it does show some very unfortunate animals.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/11454716/
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

It has been posted and is very graphic but at the same time needs to be seen it has avery important message to it.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:46 PM

Thumbs up why?

I can't belive the things that humans do to their animals, it honestly breaks my heart. :sad: Thankyou so much for posting this video, it has really made me think about what a bad repution the pit has, and only because of it's horriable human monster owners. They did not ask to be raised the way they were raised, what animal, human or dog, would want to live like that? I don't have children to put them in the ring to fight for there lives, how could you do this to your pet? What are these people thinking. It was great however to see the ones that were loved and well taken care of. I think that I have been scared out of ever owning a pit myself due to media hype, and I also don't think that I have the time it would take to own this breed.
Once again, thankyou for the video.
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullboxLover
I don't have children to put them in the ring to fight for there lives, how could you do this to your pet? What are these people thinking. It was great however to see the ones that were loved and well taken care of. I think that I have been scared out of ever owning a pit myself due to media hype, and I also don't think that I have the time it would take to own this breed.
Once again, thankyou for the video.
That's the problem - they are not pets to the people who do this to them - they are just objects to be used and abused as they see fit - some people see their dogs as a posession and treat them with the same "kindness" as a couch... sickening!

The breed does take lot of time, but all do, the pitty breeds are more about knowledge... a well meaning person who doesn't understand how they think or react can have as much trouble as an abusive person.

I have a Rottwieller, and many people are afraid of them too... so I know some of the hardships that pitty owners have to deal with.
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Pits and Am Staffs are great dogs. They are smart so they are harder to train for a novice they will test you. But once you have your dog trained they are loyal, loveable and the only vicious thing about them is those killer tails when they start wagging man they hurt I guess cuz they go about 60 mph. oh and the have the same problem with their tongues while they are kissing you to death. These breeds like rotties and Mastiffs and other big dogs get a really bad rap when they are for the most part big mush balls, it is all about the owners.
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
These breeds like rotties and Mastiffs and other big dogs get a really bad rap when they are for the most part big mush balls, it is all about the owners.
It IS up to the owners.
However, I have to say....some breeds are more challenging to raise and own than others, and carry greater responsibility. I've had Rottweilers for going on 20 years, and a proper Rottweiler is NOT a big mushball - they are not Goldens, or poodles!
I have a dog with me much of the time, and constantly run into people saying they plan on getting a Rottweiler when they have the space/time/money/whatever.
My standard answer is, do NOT get a working breed unless you are prepared to put in extra time, and be extra comitted. I tell people to go to the pound and get a really good deserving mix breed dog if all they want is a mushball in a Rottweiler suit. Because people who want a: a mushy dog and b: a Rottweiler at the same time, are just interested in the image & hype of Rottweilers (or Corsos or Filas or Pits etc etc.)
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carina
It IS up to the owners.
However, I have to say....some breeds are more challenging to raise and own than others, and carry greater responsibility. I've had Rottweilers for going on 20 years, and a proper Rottweiler is NOT a big mushball - they are not Goldens, or poodles!
I have a dog with me much of the time, and constantly run into people saying they plan on getting a Rottweiler when they have the space/time/money/whatever.
My standard answer is, do NOT get a working breed unless you are prepared to put in extra time, and be extra comitted. I tell people to go to the pound and get a really good deserving mix breed dog if all they want is a mushball in a Rottweiler suit. Because people who want a: a mushy dog and b: a Rottweiler at the same time, are just interested in the image & hype of Rottweilers (or Corsos or Filas or Pits etc etc.)
So true, Rosie is my first rottie but not my first dog of that size. But she's the first dog I actually took to puppy, obedience and agility training... So glad I did. My dog is a mush ball with us... but doesn't like strangers sometimes, it's amazing how many people will chase a mumbling rottie around the house trying to love on her (some people ) I've had to educate a few people on how to treat a dog - I mean my god she's an 80 lbs animal with big teeth and she's telling them to stay away... how can they not get that?

Mine is great, we love her, but she has some strange ways - but I realize that and mange those situations accordingly. For instance, as much as I'd love to I don't take her to horse shows - she just doesn't handle them well (even though she spent her first 2 years at them - so much for socialization ) - so rather than take her anyway and hoping it goes well - we have to make other arrangements for her. You wouldn't beleive how many dogs that just shouldn't be there get taken anyway.

No owner or dog is perfect - the difference is a good owner knows their dogs personality, what they will and will not handle and don't puch them too far, or take them where they shouldn't... you need to do that to make it safe for everyone (dog included).
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

You are right this is my second mastiff and my first was a big mush ball with me but you are right with other he was very picky. Buddy my guy now is a suck with me but does not trust just anyone but he has issues from his past so I never force it when he is ready he will let me know. He has made huge strides so why force him and have him go backwards instead of moving forward. I never subject a dog to a situation that they do not do well in why look for trouble.