Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 20th, 2009, 08:54 PM

9mo puppy stops eating once every few weeks

Hello everyone,

I have an 9month old pom, and every once in a while, he throws up in the wee hours of the morning and feels real low and stops eating. He drinks some water, but not food. His stomach usually is very noisy in the morning 'till noonish every time this happens. There has never been blood in his pee/poop/vomit. His vomit has some food in it, and his poop is fine, not runny at all.

The last time this happened we took him to the emergency hospital and they ran xrays, blood tests, physical exams, nothing came up. His vet put him on antibiotics but Im starting to think its not a virus because he gets back up to full speed the next day.

This "act" happens maybe once a month and it happens with whatever food I give him. He used to get kibble, went from Royal Canin to Orijen Chicken/fish. He is now getting Urban Carnivore raw food, either chicken or beef.

So this happened again today. It is now almost 6pm and he hasn't had anything to eat. The only thing I can think of (for the last two occurances) is switching from beef or fish to chicken, but I honestly can't remember if this has been the case for the other times.

Do you guys think other than possible allergies or problems with switching of food, could it be anything else? Any other medical conditions?
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I wonder if keeping a journal might give you some insight? Keep track of what he eats, any significant events during the day, poop notes (yes, I keep a poop journal! ), and any medical notes, then see if you can spot a pattern. I have a rotten memory and started keeping a journal long ago to keep the details straight--it's been an invaluable tool.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I have an American Eskimo (very similar to a Pom) - I would try a fish based, holistic food such as Fromms Salmon A La Veg. Northern breeds do very well on this food which I buy from his groomer - as do many Pom owners. He does not do well on chicken.
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the replies. He actually loves fish, we give it to him pretty often.

I took him in last night at 12am because he was not eating still... Again they did xray, blood test, took his temperature, etc, everything was fine, just the xray showed alot of gas in his intestine. im still awaiting the blood test. So now he is on antibiotics and is starting to eat. I took him in again this morning for a freebie visit to his regular vet, and he said it might be pancreatitis but we'll have to wait for the blood test.
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Pancreatitis - yes I would investigate that. And if diagnosed, follow diet recommendations carefully.