Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old March 10th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Hello, it's been a while

Haven't been on pets in a loooong time so I just wanted to pop in and say hi. Haven't been spending nearly as much time online as I used to. Some changes in my life, mostly good. Still running dogs, training and racing. I've been racing 4 dogs, my daughter 2 or 3 plus skijoring. Sometimes I run all 7 together on training runs. Lots of fun!

This winter has not been a good season for the races, not enough snow forced some to be canceled but we did get a couple of races in and lots of training miles. Most recent run was a fun 16 miles with 7 dogs hooked up, up in Algonquin Park. Their dogsled trails are so beautiful

I've also had the chance this year to learn more about distance mushing and help out a bit with a distance team. Went along riding in the sled behind a team of 12 on a few 4-5 hour training runs and also got to drive a smaller team of 6 on one of those runs. One thing I discovered is that sitting still in a sled for 4 1/2 hours on a nighttime run at -20 is much colder than driving the team yourself! Brrrr!!! Dressed warmer the next time. I didn't know I could fit so many layers on me and still move

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old March 10th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey Gail P...I was thinking of you not long ago ..just thinking over the past years and that husky situation..

Hope all is well and it is so nice to see you back!
Old March 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Welcome back!

No pics .

Wow, are you the only place in Ontario that hasn't gotten a lot of snow? . I would have loved to have sent some from here to your place.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome back, Gail! I would have shared my snow with you--we even have trails here, but you'd have to compete with the snowmobiles We saw more trucks hauling sled dogs this winter than I've ever seen before The music was wonderful. The Pack always had to 'sing' back.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I've had snow here but not a lot for part of the winter. It would come, I'd put in a trail and then it would get mild or rain or something and most of the snow would melt away again or turn icy before I'd even really gotten to use the trail. I don't think I had my sled out on my own short trail at all this winter, just a friend and my daughter skied it a few times. I did get over to trails on a neighbouring property a few times, theirs all run through the bush and are more protected from sun and rain. Plus they don't have horses tramping all over them and messing them up.

I ended up trucking the dogs around more, going further to get in longer runs on better trails. Between Christmas and New Year's I went to a mushing camp which was lots of fun. Lots of nice trails there and I got to socialize with people I might only see once or twice a year and met some new friends too. It was a really good week. Then I also spent a couple of weekends up in Algonquin Park running their trails. So it's not that I haven't been able to get out sledding, I've just had to go a bit further to do it and some of the races got canceled. I only raced at two of the five I planned to do. Two of the others were canceled and although the one this past weekend wasn't canceled it was pouring rain when I got up early to get ready to go and I couldn't imagine them going ahead with it, or that anyone would even show up so I went back to bed. There did end up being 8 people there who ran their dogs. Everyone got combined into one class, the 4-doggers, the sixes and one 2-dog skijorer. I saw pictures of the starting chute and it looked like a swimming pool. The skijorer told me that the puddle was bit at the start of the race when she headed out but by the time she finished it was over the top of her ski boots. I'm not so sure I minded missing that one!

I haven't got many pictures to add, I keep forgetting to take the camera on training runs. I had it at a couple of races but of course then I can't take pics of my own team. I got lots of friends in other classes though. Will see what I can find and post a few.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com