Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old June 6th, 2011, 05:00 PM

Lost cat edmonton REWARD 200.00

We are searching for our male 7 year old all black cat that went missing May 31st 2011. He has a tattoo in his ear and is registered on petlynx. He has been with us since he was 6 weeks old and we are devastated. Please help us find our best friend. Thank you
Attached Images

Old June 6th, 2011, 07:14 PM

Lightbulb Professional Pet Detective Tips

Cats often hide close by, but it depends on whether they are indoor-only cats, spayed or neutered, their personalities...

I originally posted info about where to get unique, professional tips from the non-profit detective agency Missing Pet Partnership on this thread where others have posted their suggestions too, http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69919

A related site is Cats In The Bag.org - They provide tips and resources to help owners find their missing pets, particularly indoor-only cats. http://www.catsinthebag.org/

Hope this helps & you are reunited with your cat soon!

About Pauline from Cats In The Bag.org:

Quote:
"After my husband and I were finally (!) successful in trapping Sage [their cat], former police officer turned pet detective Kat Albrecht [of Missing Pet Partnership.org] began sending other owners of lost indoor-only cats to me for trapping assistance. (It was Kat's knowledge of lost animal behavior that ultimately steered us towards a successful recovery of Sage.)

Since then, I have researched cat behavior extensively, have surveyed animal shelters in CA to determine the type of info available to owners of lost pets, and compared search methods with fellow pet detectives and animal behaviorists. It was through helping many people in a variety of lost cat scenarios, taking copious notes, looking for common patterns, seeing how Kat analyzed missing pet cases, and then comparing these back to formal observations by trained animal behaviorists, that I developed a few more guidelines that have helped others recover their own animals.

Because people would often ask me the same questions, it made sense to have a central area where people had quick access to answers. So I went through notes of all the cases and compiled the pertinent info into the pages you see here.

Anyone who is a keen observer of animals is perfectly capable of being a lost pet detective. It's just that when it's your own pet that is missing, you aren't going to have the time to learn the principles by direct observation. That is what these pages are for, a distillation of common sense observations in the area of lost indoor-only cat behavior, gathered from my own direct observations, as well as many others, in an easy to understand format.

While it may be common sense, lost timid or indoor-only cat behavior is not common knowledge.. .far from it. Unfortunately, the most likely venues for info when a pet is lost or missing (animal shelter, humane society, etc.) do not routinely provide this information to owners, nor were most of the shelters I surveyed aware of this "complete cover" behavior. So if you know anyone who may need this type of info, please pass the word on.

One time someone asked me, So, um. . .you just do this?? Yup. I just do this ) I do this in hopes that I can help others avoid the same pain we went through when our kitty went on her misadventure. We know sooooo much more than we did in 2000 when Sage began her journey. I am so confident that with the proper information there is a very good chance many indoor-only cats can be found. With that hope and using the proper techniques, I hope owners continue their search until they have a successful recovery. And if I was able to help in some way? The gift to me is immeasurable..."

We can be part of the problem or part of the solution. Inaction is part of the problem.
Please advocate for animals.
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:17 PM

What part of Edmonton did you lose it in, as I don't think cats roam that far.
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:11 PM

athlone is the area he disappeared from. The humane society was checked today as well as animal control and he has not been picked up nor has he been listed as DOA -
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:17 PM

thank you two cents for your kind advice.he is neutered so has never gone far but this time hes been gone for a long time and we are worried sick. It has been suggested that someone may have them in their house- perhaps even nearby. My fear is that he has been transported out of the area... so hopefully the humane society may yet pick him up... we hope... we will never give up looking for him.
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:37 PM

gayla
that's not too far from me. I will definately keep my eyes out for your kitty and let you know if I see him.
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Hi Gayla:

Don't give up. My cat went missing the same day as yours, and we just found her yesterday. It doesn't seem that she was cared for at all. She was found in the small apartment building next door. In the window of the second floor lobby. I can assure you she was not there the day before, how she ended up there god only knows. She has lost a lot of weight, very dehydrated but she is doing much better today. She is still very traumatised and spent last night waking up every few hours crying really loud and eating and drinking. She won't let me out of her sight. Poor thing.

Seems to me my cat was stuck somewhere or locked into something. It's important that you check any small place she might be stuck. It might be really close by.

Good luck. I will send some prayers your way.

Sandra
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:16 AM

Missing All Black Cat REWARD 200.00

Well today is July 6th and still no luck finding our dear friend. I don't know what else to do as far as locating him. Friends are telling me its time to move on but I simply can't- I miss him sooo much. Kitten would ride with me in the car, follow me to the store and go for walks with me. Still have him listed on Kijiji and the local paper. I go to the shelter 3 times a week even though they tell me all the info is posted on petlynx- just to be sure. I still believe I may get him back. During the search for Kitten I came across an abandoned male cat that had been out by himself for some time. He had cigarette burns on his back and his poor little face had been kicked and he was badly matted. The humane society told me he was considered feral so would be put down. Well that couldn't happen so I decided to work with him on my own.Working with "Buddy" has been rather therapeutic and I am happy to report he is doing very well and is now neutered and ID tagged.
I miss my "Kitten" every day and every night I worry about where he is, how he is....its tearing me apart. Helping Buddy get well and socialized feels good but he can never replace "Kitten" - I need my best friend home.
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Mickey, my angel

I'm so sorry you haven't got any news on Kitten.

I know it is so hard not knowing where he is. Cats have been found or come back after longer periods than this, so there is still hope that he will yet be found or come back on his own.

Thank you for opening your heart to this other deserving boy in need. You saved his life and you are his I know he will never replace Kitten but will you be keeping him?

that you will still be reunited with Kitten soon.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:47 AM

Yes I will be keeping Buddy- much to the dismay of Kitten's housemate. So far Buddy has not accepted "Holly" and I have to keep them separated or the war is on. Thank you for your comforting words about Kitten. It helps knowing that someone out there gets how I feel and knows how much I miss him.
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayla View Post
Yes I will be keeping Buddy- much to the dismay of Kitten's housemate. So far Buddy has not accepted "Holly" and I have to keep them separated or the war is on. Thank you for your comforting words about Kitten. It helps knowing that someone out there gets how I feel and knows how much I miss him.
So glad that Buddy has a forever home with you. Yes, introducing cats can sometimes be complicated and takes time. Good that you are keeping them separated for now. The following website has a lot of suggestions that many people find helpful when introducing new cats to a household:

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

Again that you get Kitten back soon.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old July 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Thankyou for the referral A very good article. I am off to check the animal shelter- again. I hope to have Kitten back where he belongs, sooner rather than later...keeping my fingers crossed and trying to keep my hopes high. Thx for the good wishes.