Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old March 16th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Found rotti mix? dog in cornwall, warning, heartbreaking pictures

I found this wonderful friendly dog in my neighbours garbage, I was told I must advertise it as a found dog, the spca will be coming to take pics of her tomorrow, (but not removing her from my care) we will be seeing a vet tomorrow also, she's a female, approx 14-16 months maybe?? hard to tell by her size, red collar (funny its not loose on her if she's been missing awhile), If anyone knows of anyone missing this girl, please pm me.

Old March 16th, 2008, 08:03 PM
-

omg that poor dog :sad:
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Whoever lost that dog should never get it back if that's the condition they kept it in!!! They should never be able to own a pet again........And I hope what goes around comes around May they get theirs for doing this to that poor poor dog.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Rottie owner and lover

OHHHHHHH the poor girl, I am glad she found her doggie angel in you...
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

oh my god. :sad::sad:
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

horray another doggie angel, can you keep her if not claimed???
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope that she is skinny because she has been a stray for so long, I am sure she is thankful that you found her and will take care of her for as long as you can. Hopefully her family is/has been looking for her and want her back so she can be part of the family again.

I have read here about those that have lost their pets and are just frantic to get them back and have had so many troubles. pbp
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

she will be with me/us till she's healthy, after that I'm not sure (have to work on hubby) the vet thinks she is starved, not a stray...her collar is NOT loose on her....any information on feeding/caring is appreciated...but I will looked for owners..
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:34 PM
-

How long would it takes for a dog to get that skinny from being a stray ? They usually can find food in garbages and stuff .... IMO , that dog isn't in this condition because she is a stray , she probably got this way where she was before. Yes yes I know I could be wrong ... but I don't think I am.

Melinda , if you ever need help to place her in a rescue , I would do whatever I can do to help.
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Doggie Wench

Thank you Melinda for taking on the responsibility for caring for this poor girl; you may very well have saved her life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
....any information on feeding/caring is appreciated...but I will looked for owners..
I'd recommend you start with a high quality food (check out the food forum here for ideas if you need any). Start with smaller amounts fed more often throughout the day ie. at least 4-5 times. Once she's adjusted well to her food, you may want to begin supplementing her with satin balls (at least 4 hours before kibble or 8 hours after kibble as kibble takes more than double the amount of time as raw to digest). Here is the recipe I've used in the past with emaciated dogs:

http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

I imagine you've already made an appointment with a vet? Please don't forget to take in a fresh stool sample to have tested for intestinal parasites. I strongly suggest to not having her vaccinated until she's received a clean bill of health and has reached her optimum weight.

Wishing her the best of luck to a healthy and happy future.
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, that poor girl. I'm glad she found her , Melinda! I hope she gets an otherwise clean bill of health at the vet's!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Thank you Melinda for taking on the responsibility for caring for this poor girl; you may very well have saved her life.

I'd recommend you start with a high quality food (check out the food forum here for ideas if you need any). Start with smaller amounts fed more often throughout the day ie. at least 4-5 times. Once she's adjusted well to her food, you may want to begin supplementing her with satin balls (at least 4 hours before kibble or 8 hours after kibble as kibble takes more than double the amount of time as raw to digest). Here is the recipe I've used in the past with emaciated dogs:

http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

I imagine you've already made an appointment with a vet? Please don't forget to take in a fresh stool sample to have tested for intestinal parasites. I strongly suggest to not having her vaccinated until she's received a clean bill of health and has reached her optimum weight.

Wishing her the best of luck to a healthy and happy future.
thank you luckypenny and yes, she'll be going to see my vet today, he gave me some puppy canned food for her and we'll buy some performatrin canned and kibble puppy food,

Frenchy thank you for your offer of help, I can't see us needing a rescue for her, but then again, you never know, she won't be going anywhere until she's given a clean bill of health.
thank you all for your kind words
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh melinda, you are an for helping this poor dog.

Yes, I agree that if the collar is not loose, then somebody was not feeding this dog. How can people be so cruel and what is the purpose to starve a dog?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

update

ok, we're back from our vet visit, she went in wearing Daisy's huge flannel coat, my friend (office manager) came out and said "shelley! a new dog," then I removed her coat and she went white...Whisper was so happy to be there, so happy to be in the car and so good in the car. A different vet saw her. He said "I believe I'm looking at a dead dog standing, " he said he has never seen a dog standing and so alert while being that emaciated, said she is a wonderful dog, asked her to "sit" on the table and she did. so we have meds for worms for the next two weeks, advantage multi, vitamins (tube) and they are giving me the 30% that rescues get.
ok, breed at best guess, rotti/lab/shepherd, she is 22 pounds, 43-48 pounds underweight, stools tested negative for any worms, he's 90% sure she is spayed as he thinks he felt a scar, best guess at age is 14-16 months, she has an underbite, hates getting her nails done *S* had to call a third person in to hold her tail that would NOT stop wagging. I can't let her and Brina meet for a good 10 days, he's deworming her "just in case" no vacinations till she puts on some weight. spca investigator is coming at 5 to see her, she promised she would not take her, guess she wants to make sure the garage is heated, she was calling from the vets office in fact and I told her to ask them all about me, they know me well unfortunately. but I'm still nervous, she said "you realize the owners do legally have 3 days to claim her"....I said yes......and she replied quietly, "but it doesn't mean we have to give her"......so we'll see at 5 whats what.
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

omg--only 1/3 the weight she should be! That poor girl! :sad:

Is her tummy taking to food well?

She's so pretty--and so lucky to have come to you. Good luck with the spca visit! that all goes well there!

And s to you for taking Whisper into the fold...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

she has brought up 3 times...but the vet says she's getting rid of the "garbage" and garbage is right, ciggy butts, saran wrap etc......
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
she has brought up 3 times...but the vet says she's getting rid of the "garbage" and garbage is right, ciggy butts, saran wrap etc......
omg! :sad: She must've been snarfing down anything and everything trying to get enough food.

The payoff will be when you can see that she's gaining weight!

Old March 17th, 2008, 03:44 PM
head in the clouds

Quote:
omg... you are an angel and I hope that she gets better.... in a way its nice to see that the rubbish is coming up makes way for all the yummy food that will fill her tummy.
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM

That is so damn sad and lucky for this beautiful girl that she found you.What an awesome guardian angel you are!
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,poor girl,but very lucky to have found you
We see it all the time on Animal Planet how dogs are simply starved by idiots who don't care.
I am hoping this is not the case with Whisper,I so wish they could talk
Hopefully her tummy will adjust to eating real food and hopefully she'll be found to be otherwise healthy,poor gorl,lots of luv and kisses to her from this end.
Thank you for saving her life
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Senior Contributor

update

after 2 1/2 days of presenting us with her stomach contents of a bottle cap, elastic, cardboard, saran wrap, foam packaging from meat etc.....she has finally gone 24 hours without being ill , we had her on a diet of pedialyte (lots), bland rice but with turkey broth and eventually with a bit of mushed up performatrin puppy food. She is looking so much better, we have discovered this: she has been through some (not sure how much) OB classes, she sits, laysdown, "partial" heel, sit pretty, roll over, speak for cookie, smile on command, gives paw. I introduced her (with moms permission) to one of my daycare children (5 yr old female) and she became such a wiggle butt that the little girl laughed saying she's doing the twist. She LOVES kids and men, spca worker came to check her out, (I threatened her with my broom if she even dared tried to remove her) to which she laughed and thanked us for taking her in, she lent us a kennel, Whisper loved it!! I put a king size comforter in it and before I could get out, she was in it and slept quite comfortable in it (open) last night, she is house trained. I cannot say enough good things about this wonderful dog!!! an owners dream. so....as of 2 pm today she becomes "our posession" I hate that word. The spca will be by today to scan for a chip, she wanted to wait till we legally had claim on her in case the owner has a history of abuse , then we can legally refuse to hand her over. I want, desperately to find her original owners, someone loved this dog greatly!!! can I ask a favor of everyone here? search your memories....way back, think of anyone who lost a dog fitting "Whispers" description....anywhere,....she is or was loved by some family ....I want to get her home or at least know her history. thank you all.

Last edited by Melinda; March 19th, 2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Please explain? based on those pictures I am not sure how you could say this???

someone loved this dog greatly!!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh Melinda,she's soo skinny,I hope beeing in this condition has not harmed her organs.
It is very possible she has been missing a long time,like some of the pups(Sable,Spencer,Billie)here and there is a family out there,who would be exstatic to have her found.
For now though,she has a wonderful rehab-place with you
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston,it is very possible like I said,she could have been lost for months,hence her condition
I am sure Melinda would not just hand her over,if she suspects abuse..
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Melinda is right, we can not judge the owners we do not know how far she might have travelled. If she has been eating everything in sight, and throwing up, weight comes off quicker, same with the runs.
Lets first see if someone is dearly missing this girl. She really looks like my old dog Angel. who was a rott/ lab cross.
I hope for you Melinda, and for whisper some family is missing this dog dearly.
Remember dogs roam, and if she roamed far that can be a reason for this look...
I will keep an eye out on facebook for dogs lost...
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Senior Contributor

believe me when I say she will NOT be handed over on a platter to the owners "IF" she is chipped or if I find them.
Their name will be searched and will be put into the computer at the spca to see if they were EVER accused of any animal abuse or have ever given up an animal, hell I dislike birds (grew up with a dad that raised them) but I kept a budgie here for 6 yrs that I caught outside with the ravens and no one claimed, I nursed it back to health and couldn't part with it wondering if the new owners would treat it as well as I would *L*. I would talk to neighbours of "imaginary" owners, to vets....make sure they are worthy of Whisper....no law would force me to give her back because she would be mine....BUT....if they do check out etc....they could have searched desperately for her at one time....just a chance I have to take, someone seriously trained this dog...and it had to have been a family

I have two theories

#1. a loved pet gets lost....someone finds her, thinks she's a gorgeous dog and keeps her...loses interest.....dog is tied out back and fed on occasion

#2. loving family has to for some reason rehome their gorgeous well trained dog, finds what they think is a loving home.....it has been known to happen before...new family again looses interest....dog neglected or gets loose.
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OH Melinda I wasnt implying you were going to give Whisper up....I think I was just shocked because I figured this was an abuse case..considering her body....its hard to imagine that she would have lost so much weight but I am sure its entirely possible! I hope that she is just lost and does have a home somewhere!! Maybe we will have another happy ending story...Thankyou Melinda so much for saving this girls life! She looks like a true darlin!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Wow - I can just imagine this dog's story...wouldn't it be cool if she'd travelled so far, rescuing people and making so many friends - like the littlest hobo? You americans might not get the reference.
Good luck to Whispers, and yay for you for taking her in! We can tell you're already in heart with her.
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Senior Contributor

very very much in love with her but it's almost, a small "almost" impossible for me to keep her, I run a city daycare and already have a large dog in the home that was specially trained to be around children. it's hard, it honestly is.....

Winston/Cindy, I'm sorry, I just felt helpless and defensive this morning I guess, I knew you weren't being nasty, guess I'd better put on another pot of coffee *L* I just wanted you to really really understand where I was coming from with Whisper *S*. I have just called 8 vets in our area, in fact, some as far away as 40 miles and no one has called missing a dog....thank you all for your wonderful words of encouragement.
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

You rock for taking this beauty in. It takes a while to put the weight on. I had a rescue Boo some of you will remember him he was maybe worse than Whisper. I found the best thing was puppy food I fed Boo about 12 cups a day for the first 2 months he was free fed unbelievably he was not a gulper ate slowly and would take breaks and lie down. Satin Balls were also used. Boo was 92 pounds when I got him a skeleton he gained about 100 pounds in about a year. He did have a very sensitive tummy and I had to be careful of his diet not to vary it much he could not tolerate change of food, he would get terrible diareaha. Something to look out for. Good luck and you will see changes in Whisper daily
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog