Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old March 15th, 2010, 05:12 AM
He who talks with animals

bloody stool help?

My best friends name is Slurpy and he is a 8 month old Golden Lab, anyway for the last few weeks or so I noticed little trickles of blood in his stool and so I brought him to the vet right away and I told him to check everything including the stool sample I brought. He noticed that Slurpy had ringworms or tapeworms I cant remember which one it was but he gave him some deworm pills and sent him on his way. I wonder how he got worms as he was dewormed 3 times when he was 3to4 months? Anyway since he was dewormed again Slurps stool is still a little bloody it seems that when I take him outside he usually takes 2 poops and the first one looks normal but then the 2nd one come out kinda like diarrhea with little bits of blood in it. This has been going on for about 2 weeks now, first stool good 2nd one not so good. I brought him to the vet again yesterday and the vet checked his stool and said the worms were gone and everything is fine. My problem is that I am a Canadian living in China and I seriously doubt that everything is fine, blood in a dogs stool can't be a good thing especially since its been going on for a few weeks now. Money is not the problem with me seeing a Vet, I would take him there every day if the Vet can just find the problem... Ive tried expensive Gastrointestinal formula imported for the US, still with no results, parvo test, heart worm test, blood test etc. I wonder if my Chinese Vet knows what the hell he is doing? I wonder if I should fly to Hong Kong to see a more reputable Vet? Slurpy on the other hand seems fine, eats, sleeps, drinks, very play full, hasn't been vomiting.. other than the bloody diarrhea he is great. I feed Slurpy "Royale Canine 29 Golden Retriever" I know its not for a Labrador but that's the best I could find in China and it's imported from France. I follow the weight chart with the food and make sure he is getting the exact amount that is recommended per kg
I hope someone out there can give me some advice and maybe the information I said can help Slurpy find a solution?

Last edited by scoobster; March 15th, 2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:23 AM
-

With bloody stool, there are so many things that could be a problem. Your current Vet's diagnosis sounds a little suspect to me but . If he were mine, I would be getting a second opinion with a complete physical exam, blood panels etc. In terms of $$ and time expended though, you should be aware that he will likely need an x-ray and ultrasound to check for an obstruction or physical abnormality. Keep us posted!
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Doggie Wench

I'd say a second opinion is needed as well and, at the very least, another fecal sample brought in to test specifically for Giardia.

By any chance, do you give your dog raw hide bones to chew?

ETA: What is the name of the dewormer medication your vet gave you? The most effective one we've used with puppies and dogs is Panacur Suspension as it covers a broad range of intestinal parasites.

Last edited by luckypenny; March 15th, 2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:44 AM
He who talks with animals

No I never give my dog raw-hides as i know they can get stuck in the throat. As for the name of the pills I couldn't tell you as it was all in Chinese, I know that he gave my 2 pills on a Tuesday and then I was told to come back 1 week later and then he gave him 10 red pills all at once to take and said that he is good for a year against worms after that. As for getting an ultrasound/x-ray I don't believe the Vet even has the machines in his office ha ha ha god that's horrible. I will try and find a 2nd Vet here that hopefully will have the equipment to do that but I do live on a small Island called Hainan and it's looking doubtful.
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:50 AM
-

Call me quirky... I like to know what I'm giving my animals But, obviously you are uncomfortable with the diagnosis as well. and I guess that is one of the challenges of living in a country where you aren't fluent in the home language. Can you get to the mainland? Courier a fecal sample out? Is there a University nearby? Human radiology / diagnostic imaging centre you can "borrow" ?
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I would agree with a second opinion - and one that will tell you the names of the drugs in a language you can understand. Bloody stools can come from alot of different things.

Is the dog losing weight? I'd check also to see how much grain is in the food you are feeding - some bowel issues are really aggravated by too much grain in the diet.

Tags
bloody, stool