Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 4th, 2016, 02:09 PM

Exclamation Cat has broken his paw over a month ago and won't walk properly

Hello everybody!

My cat has fallen off the window (a 3rd floor window) and broken his front left paw. This happened on the 27th November, over a month ago, that is.

I immediately took him to the vet, who told me he would try to put his leg on a cast (not exactly a cast - I'll attach a pic so you can see what I mean) and hope it would get better with no surgery.

For the first 2 weeks he was ok with the whole thing and even managed to walk around with his «wooden» paw. Then he started to get restless and took the «cast» off three times in just 2 weeks.

Last time he did so, the vet took an x-ray of his leg and said he would be able to go back home with no cast on.

That was last Wednesday; the cat - who must be around 12 years old - has generally been in good spirits, eating, going to the bathroom, etc. But he won't put his damaged paw on the floor. He walks and sometimes even runs, but using only the other legs.

Have your cats ever been in similar situations? How long should we wait until a full recovery?

Thank you so much for your kind help and have a happy new year!
Attached Images

Old January 4th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Kitty Cat ! He a beautiful cat , 12 is old maybe his bones are taking longer to heal or he think it will hurt to put weight on the leg . Has the vet taken a x ray to see if the leg has heal properly ? I hope your cat will feel better soon.
Old January 4th, 2016, 03:11 PM

Thank you for your reply! : )

The vet did take an X ray and said the ligament tear on his "wrist" had healed pretty well.

There was also a bone fracture that from what I could understand had already "solidified".

I don't think the cat is in any pain, because when I touch his paw he doesn't even complain. But maybe he has lost strength or has weaker muscles now?

What do I know. : )

Thank you again for your reply, he's a beautiful and loving cat, I just wished gets back on his feet again - literally! *
Old January 4th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

If the cat leg is healed he should putting weight on it so he won't lose more strength or muscles . Doe your cat have a scratching post , if not you could try buying one and see if he will use that to exercise his leg . I am thinking your cat may be afraid to use it leg and favoring it. It too bad cats don't to swim that might help strengthen his leg.
Old January 4th, 2016, 06:12 PM

That's actually a great idea!

I'm getting one of those posts as soon as I can. I seem to notice he does stretch his leg whenever he's stretching himself (in sleepy mode) or trying to sharpen his claws on the sofa (something he's been tentatively doing again for the last couple of days and I'm not even telling him not to, for obvious reasons).

He has a relatively small wound on that leg as well - a superficial one, caused by the cast itself. Vet said he should be wearing the funnel so he wouldn't lick it or bite it, but after four days I took it out, as the cat was desperate to clean and scratch himself. And the wound is almost gone, I suppose catching some air must have helped to heal it. : )
Old January 4th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

That is funny that he is stretching his leg but not walking on it, so he just could be worried it might hurt if he use it. Animals remember things like this , I brought a cat to get shot but he remeber it hurt the last time so he almost bit the vet when he saw the needle in his hand. What is your cat name , he such a beautiful cat , I would love to see more photos of him . I have small white dog but I don't have a camera to take photos.
Old January 5th, 2016, 06:49 AM

Animals are clever like that, although Farrusco - that's his name - is usually quite laidback.

Do you have a Facebook account? I can add you to a group where me and my friends share pictures of our cats, King Farrusco obviously included.
Old January 5th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

No I don't have a facebook account anymore I closed mine along time ago.

Tags
cat with broken paw