Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old May 19th, 2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler~GateKeeper View Post
Duffy refused to use the nosorb litter the 2nd time I tried it. Unless you use several containers of nosorb or have the box tilted & the cat stands on the higher side they just end up stepping in their pee anyways.

If you can get a first of the morning appt & lock Sam up in a room without a litterbox for a couple of hours prior, hopefully you can get him in to the clinic with enough in his bladder for a sample, providing he doesn't pee on the way there.

thanks growler, I think it`s going to be an impossible task because that new vet told me that it was "too hard to catheterize an old cat"... despite the fact that my old vet used to do it right there in the examining room with me holding him... she had no problem at all... I got the feeling she didn't have the skills to catherize him... she is a bit of a dipstick in my opinion. I may wait until I find a new vet but that's going to cost me an exam fee too which I don't appreciate... gawd knows how much this vet will charge me to do the urinalysis if I ever get the specimen.

What I have been doing is putting his regular litter in an old flat litter box with no lid on it and keeping him locked in my bedroom with it for a few hours at a time. Once he gets used to using the new box I was going to substitute the nosorb for his regular litter and see how he reacts if I leave the box in the room for several hours with him. He's quite used to being in my room during the day with the door closed, it's keeping the other cats out that's been the problem cuz they can open the door themselves... will have to change the door handle to a knob style so they can't get in... LOL
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:16 PM

The vet doesn't need to use a catheter to to get a urine sample, cystocentesis works on older male cats too.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler~GateKeeper View Post
The vet doesn't need to use a catheter to to get a urine sample, cystocentesis works on older male cats too.
I don't know why she didn't suggest cystocentesis instead of catheterizing him. I wonder if she's ever used that method to collect urine, as she seems like such a dipwad with other cat related stuff.

His bladder has always been very small when he's examined, since my old vet catheterized him. Not sure why other than he may go in the cage on the way there and have it absorbed by the towel I usually put in the cage with him. Even in the xray she did his bladder was barely visible so I wonder if they'd need an ultrasound to locate the urine in his bladder and they don't have an ultrasound machine in the office.

I have located another vet I may try with him and their fees are relatively low according to people who've used this vet in the past on http://www.vetratingz.com They have only been open about a year but have good ratings.

I now have the litter box in place in my bedroom with regular litter in it, and we'll see what happens.. they definitely don't give you much nosorb for the cat to pee in... I'll wait and see what happens after a few days.