Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Closed Thread

Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM

Thumbs up PC Brand Nutrition First - Reinvented

...and it's in the grocery store!! Not kidding. It is much more pricey than the rest on the shelf but cheaper than the brand names in specialty stores. The ingredients are on par with many of the brand names though! Check it out...

Main Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Chicken, Brown Rice, Dehulled Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols)

Addt'l Ingredients: Potatoes, Natural Chicken Flavour, Whole Dried Egg, Herring Meal, Salmon Oil, Tomatoes, Brewers Yeast, Phosphoric Acid, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Whole Carrots, Whole Blueberries, Whole Cranberries, Whole Apples ... blah blah blah etc.

Those are some pretty impressive main ingredients for a grocery store food. Kudos to PC for putting the effort into making a quality, affordable food!!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum, echoica.
We love photos of your pets- just thought I would be the first one to ask
Just out of curiousity, you don't work for PC Brands do you? You sound like a social marketing strategy
Anyway, welcome and enjoy.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
Welcome to the forum, echoica.
We love photos of your pets- just thought I would be the first one to ask
Just out of curiousity, you don't work for PC Brands do you? You sound like a social marketing strategy
Anyway, welcome and enjoy.
Haha! Nope I don't work for PC

I did post a thread with pics to the 'Introduce Yourself Here' forum but I got a message saying that he has to be approved first?! Weird!?

I have 2 cats and 2 dogs:
* Bella, Black DSH, 6 years old, adopted from the SPCA
* Riley, Maine Coon (with brown tabby markings), will be 4 in Feb, also adopted from the SPCA
* Casey, Lurcher (Border Collie x Greyhound), brindle with white markings (he is the dude in my avatar), just turned 1 year old, another from the SPCA
* Rikku (my latest addition), Pure Border Collie, red & white, 4 months old, from a BC rescue

Thanks for the welcome!!
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:16 PM

Welcome to the forum Echoica your animals are lovely. I went to the PC Brands website but was unable to find any of the Nutrition 1st dog food with vegetables and fruit listed as ingredients. Maybe they don't have the food you bought on their website yet. Can you give us the full name of the PC food?

The ingredients list I found on the website for the PC Nutrition 1st Premium Dry - Chunks - Chicken & Rice Adult dog food is:

Chicken, chicken meal, brewers rice, ground corn, corn gluten meal, poultry fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), ground barely, fish meal, poultry flavour, beet pulp, flaxseed meal, dried whole egg, yeast culture, salt, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, mannannoligosaccharide, choline chloride.

The ingredients list for the PC Extra Meaty Chicken & Rice Dog Food that doesn't specify whether it is dry or canned is:

Chicken, brown rice, ground corn, ground barley, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, poultry fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), meat and bone meat, liver digest, flax seed, dried whole egg, brewer's dried yeast, calcium carbonate, safflower oil, zinc sulphite, ferrous sulphate (iron), l-tryptophan, vitamin supplements (A, D, E), niacin, copper sulphate, manganese sulphate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, thiamin mononitrate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), sodium selenite, vitamin B12, calcium oidate, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulphite complex (source of vitamin K activity).

Can you please point me in the right direction for the food that you mentioned?

Last edited by dbg10; December 31st, 2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:44 AM
-

President's Choice has made this so confusing .....their old formula was called President's Choice Nutrition 1st and their new formula is called President's Choice Nutrition First and they still haven't updated their website.

The list of ingredients for the new formula was posted by Hound Dog in this thread ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66434

It has too many grains imo and also:

1. Herring meal .....it is likely preserved with ethoxyquin unless President's Choice has specified to the supplier that they want it preserved naturally.

2. Vitamin K .....I would want clarification if it is Vitamin K1 or Vitamin K3. If it is Vitamin K3 it is menadione sodium bisulfite complex which is also believed to cause cancer.

The last time I was in Extra Foods here I checked out the price and it was $39.99 for the large bag. You can buy Acana (www.championpetfoods.com) here for $45.99 for the large bag and it has better ingredients. Acana is also made at their own manufacturing plant so well worth the extra six dollars imo.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:00 AM
I'm a softy

I too think it is too grain heavy, and you can get good food at a specialty store for a similar price. I dont like any pet food at a grocery store, purina, iams, ol roy, they are all the same, you pay $5 for one kind or $35 for the other. The food you mentioned is an imrovement over the corn based foods, but still over priced imo.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
President's Choice has made this so confusing .....their old formula was called President's Choice Nutrition 1st and their new formula is called President's Choice Nutrition First and they still haven't updated their website.

The list of ingredients for the new formula was posted by Hound Dog in this thread ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66434
Thanks Rainbow
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoica View Post
This ingredient list is not current. Please see the main ingredients in my first post for the CURRENT list (Brewer's rice has been removed from the formulation by PC for example)
Glad the brewer's rice has been removed but, as I stated in my above post, I still would be more concerned about the type of Vitamin K they use as well as what the herring meal was preserved with by the supplier as PC does not need to list ethoxyquin on their label as an ingredient if "they" did not add it.

I do agree that it is better than the other brands at the supermarket but it is overpriced imo when compared with Acana.
Closed Thread

Tags
pc nutrition first