Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Very active after spaying

Today is Buddy first day after surgery, however, last night and today she is extremely active. Had a hard time getting her settle, constantly running about and jumping. Today, she is more active, so I have put her in the crate for a while. Right now she is sound asleep. Usually we play frisbee and ball, but the doc say nothing extremely. So, I have been just playing tug of war. Has anyone have had this problem of their dog being extremely active after spaying.

Also, they told me to feed her 1/4 of what I usually feed her until she is normal, however, I don't know when that is?
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
-

Put the cone collar on her (elizabethan collar) it will keep her from licking her stitches but will also restrain her from being too active. She must remain calm for the next 5 days. Very important.

As for the food , I never changed their food amount after a spay
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:15 PM
-

She definitely shouldn't be jumping or running hard. If you don't have a elizabethan collar (or if she is like my dogs that go beserk if they have to wear one ) then you could tie her leash to yourself to keep her calm. Good luck.

Also I did cut my dogs meals for the following day but not by as much as your vet said.
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Tks for the info. I put her in the crate for a hour this morning and it calm her down alot. When I let her out of the crate, she slept most of the day. She got a little active before supper and after supper, she wouldn't settle, so she back in the crate and she is now sound asleep. I think it might be her way of expressing her pain. I notice when she was using the bathroom, that she was doing a lot of trembling.

Tried the leash thing this morning and it didn't work. However, the vet is open for 3-4 hours tomorrow and I will pick up a collar. They called this morning to see how she was doing and say if there was any big problems that they are open tomorrow (Sunday).

Also, with the feeding, I put out a cup this morning and she ate about half, plus she had some treats. For supper, put out another cup and she ate a bit. So, she will eat when she is hungry. Might be the drugs, pain meds, etc.
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Picked up the collar and she hated it. I never saw her hate something so much before. It is easier to get her nails done. I put it on and she was 5 times more active and she trying to chew on or run into things to get it off her. So, I took it off her and now everytime she pass by it she wants to kill it. Lots of growling & barking.
Anyway, she has been pretty good and I am going to use the leash when she is too active. Last night she slept until I woke up. Never happens, plus yesterday and today she takes a lot of naps.
Is complicatins to spaying common? Thinking about Tuesday, when I go back to work and have to crate her for the day.
Old October 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM

Please please please do your best to discourage being active. My Abby was too active and had to get the stitches out early because the insision was swelling causing the stitches to pull through her skin,,,,

I know it's not easy, and it might seem crewl, but do what it takes to make her settle. She doesn't know she is doing damage to herself... Do the best you can I know it's not easy, but in the long haul, it's so much better for her... Good luck
Old October 12th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

awww laura, best of luck for her.

I hope you do get her settled & no infection on her.

Diamond is going in 2 months & i am keeping a eye on this thread.
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Things are going good. Taking lots of naps, plus I bought toys/bones/treats to keep her entertain. She is eating more but not up to her daily limit She is also up to her normal amount of poohs. Finding the leash is working when she is playful. Been ignore her when she picks up her ball or frisbee and this works. Also, using the submission technique and this calms her down.

Her cut looks good. No reddness & no discharge. Her stitches are burial, so I don't have to bring back in to have them remove.

She is my first female dog and she is the first one that I have had to go thru the neutering/spaying worry. She is my first bought dog. All my previous dogs were strays or rescue from people homes. It has been a long time since I had a dog b/c of the heartbreak I when thru with Duke who was severe abuse and his life ended to short. Best dog ever.
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Senior Contributor

If anyone else caught this I missed it but no playing tug. Watch your dog when she is tugging and you will see how she contracts her middle when she is tugging. Can put tremendous strain on her stitch area and internally.
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura3278 View Post
Things are going good. Taking lots of naps, plus I bought toys/bones/treats to keep her entertain. She is eating more but not up to her daily limit She is also up to her normal amount of poohs. Finding the leash is working when she is playful. Been ignore her when she picks up her ball or frisbee and this works. Also, using the submission technique and this calms her down.

Her cut looks good. No reddness & no discharge. Her stitches are burial, so I don't have to bring back in to have them remove.

She is my first female dog and she is the first one that I have had to go thru the neutering/spaying worry. She is my first bought dog. All my previous dogs were strays or rescue from people homes. It has been a long time since I had a dog b/c of the heartbreak I when thru with Duke who was severe abuse and his life ended to short. Best dog ever.

Laura Tx for the pointers on her & to her too

I also know what you mean about Heartbreak.. My Dog Duke Also.

*sigh

Is that her in your Avator
Old October 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Tks for the info on tugging. Didn't know that.

Today is day 5. I think she is doing good. She was in her crate almost all day today. Little rowdy when I gone home. But, she is sleeping now. I think the rowdiness is from being bored and not allowed to play ball or frisbee

Cut looks good - in the middle is completely sealed and the ends are a little bit scabby. No discharge and very little reddness. Checked with the vet to see if I could put some polyeserin (don't know how to spell - cream for humans to help heal cuts & burns faster) and they say a little bit would be okay. Just put a little bit on and rubbed in. Not too much or it will trap bacteria.

Looking just like my appendix cut when it was healing. Wondering will there be discharge after a week or so like my appendix cut. It was a clear fluid that leak from the cut and it was harmless, but it freak me out. Any information about the after events of their animals being spay would be great.
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

She should be pretty much good to go if this is day 5. Internal healing has much completed by day 3. Correct me if I am wrong here..
I had one stubborn poodle years ago that knew how to work us...and it was funny., but a spay is not to complicated and animals do recover more quickly than humans.

But then again, I did not feel up to chasing a frisbee after my hysterectomy either. I didn't like it prior to the surgery too. Chasing two toddlers was enough.