Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM

Bald spot on Phoebes face

Last week I noticed a patch on Phoebes face, about the size of a dime, where her fur is thinning and she seems to have a slight rash. It's about an inch below her eye. She's been swimming in lakes and the ocean a lot lately, we haven't used shampoo on her for a long time, she is on a total raw food diet, and everywhere else on her is rash-free and otherwise she's completely healthy. She's a 9 month old lab cross.
Any thoughts on what this might be? Anyone?
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

No idea what it is?? maybe something from the waters? hard to say too cause you never know if its food related or not? maybe a quick vet visit to rule anything out..

Does she seem irritated by it?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Garden nut

Sounds like a hot spot. Is the skin kind of gooey, sticky where the fur fell off?

Keep it clean and dry. Cease swimming for now. If it gets worse, see a vet.

Be careful it may spread and become a bigger patch, if it is indeed a hot spot.

Here's a picture I found on Google image search

http://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/u.../30/0/4830.jpg
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It might also be something like demodex mange. The vet can take a scraping of the bald patch and check for the demodex mites.

I do think a vet visit is in order--not an emergency, by any means, but maybe in the next few days. If it does turn out to be something like mange, the sooner you start treating it, the easier it is to control and cure!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM

I figured it out, it's ringworm.

I googled "rignworm dogs", and came up with dozens of photos that look exactly like what Phoebe has. It's actually a fungus thet can be treated with creams, shampoos, and medication that your vet prescribes. It can be re-transmitted to your pet from the environment, so you have to vacuum, steam clean, and bleach your house.
Does anyone have any experience with rignworm?
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
-

I do not have any experience with a pet and ringworm but I don't think you should diagnose this yourself by using the internet.

It may very well be ringworm but only your vet will be able to tell for sure. Good luck and please post with an update.
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM

The Vet was no help, wondering about Neem Oil.

The Vet said it could be one of several types of rignworm fungus, or one of two types of mange mites, or something else. Unfortunately, he couldn't say for sure without taking hair samples and a skin scraping, but with the bald patch so close to her eye, she would have to be sedated so he wouldn't accidentally poke her eye if she squirmed too much while he collected the sample. So, he said to put anti-fungal cream on it if I wanted to (chlortrimazole), and if it gets worse to bring her back.
So, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Neem Oil for treating mange or ringworm on dogs. I googled Neem Oil and it is reported by some to be very effective and safe. You can get it at most health food stores and hydroponic supply stores as well (it's also a natural non-toxic insecticide for plants).
Also, we're going to find another Vet.