Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Canada - parliment hill cats

I was having a discussion with a fellow collegue about the Parliment Hill Cats, and found it interesting that she never heard of this. I thought since it was Canada Day, I would share alittle with everyone who does not know. Read the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia...iamentary_Cats

I find it very interesting that our government looks out their window everyday and sees first hand our nations unwanted throw aways and yet does not impliment a nationwide low spay and neuter directive. One would also think that this everyday reminder would dictate the importance of stopping cattery mills and puppymills or maybe think about stiffen our Animal Protection Laws. Anyways - I am grateful they however do allow them to remain on the premises...a small contribution to a very big problem.

So to all those animals - Happy Canada Day to you as well. Be safe.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:17 AM

Wow! I have never heard of this... And I work on the Hill!!!

Definitely going to have to do some sleuthing and see if I can visit these little ones

HAPPY CANADA DAY!
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenamlambe View Post
Wow! I have never heard of this... And I work on the Hill!!!

Definitely going to have to do some sleuthing and see if I can visit these little ones

HAPPY CANADA DAY!
I am going up to Ottawa tonight to transport some dogs. Since I am staying the whole weekend, I will picking up my daughter as she knows where they are. I want to visit and see how they are doing and how they are cared for. So curious really.

I am going to bring my camera to hopefully get some shots.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I am going up to Ottawa tonight to transport some dogs. Since I am staying the whole weekend, I will picking up my daughter as she knows where they are. I want to visit and see how they are doing and how they are cared for. So curious really.

I am going to bring my camera to hopefully get some shots.
That sounds great! You'll have to let me know where they are set up in relation to the main buildings. I have been trying to find it online but, although the government site mentions them, it doesn't tell a location.

http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/hist...nctry-eng.html
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:26 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have heard of them, and it would not surprise me that these cats are well taken care of. The Harpers are foster mom and dad to cats from the Ottawa Humane Society, and Mrs. Harper does volunteer work for them. I heard she also sits on the board, but have not confirmed it.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG our parliment is running a cat house.... I would love to go see that. I am glad some cats are taken care of.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
OMG our parliment is running a cat house.... I would love to go see that. I am glad some cats are taken care of.
Indeed. Thanks to a kitty HERO who passed away. Thankfully someone else took over.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:51 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I thought there were more kitties but I guess with the ones dying off there wouldn't be. It's great that they are still allowing this to go on. Shows they aren't all heartless. $6000 a year for care. Mmmm, sounds a little low. My bill is a lot higher than that! But then I don't get free vet care either.
Thank you for sharing BM and reminding us there is still hope - somewhere!

and HAPPY CANADA DAY TO ALL!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I read about this in the Cat Fancy Magazine last summer or fall I think it was. I was amazed with this story. There are volunteers or one man that went in the morning and evening to feed them, if my memory is right. They also have a donation box set up for the upkeep of the cats too.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:30 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

BM I have seen the parliament cats. They are actually very well taken care of. There is an elderly man that has taken care of them for at least 20 yrs. He faithfully feeds them and takes care of them. I am pretty sure they are all spay and neutered. Its a pretty cool set up of little houses and hamocks and feeding stations. While we were visiting we met a racoon nearby that was just as friendy as a cat! The man that takes care of them indicated at one time that it took about 8,000.00 per yr to feed and take care of them.

I have some pics somewhere! I hope you find the time to see them!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:00 AM
Senior Contributor

the elderly man isn't there any longer, he finally after advertising for 6 yrs found a replacement, often people thinking they are doing well will snatch a cat to give it a home, last one was in the paper with a plea to please bring him back. We go see them every couple of weeks and bring snacks to be distributed, one of my fav spots in ottawa*L* I'm lucky, my son lives about 2 blocks from there.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
-

Oh yes I've seen them on TV ! The old man that was taking care of them was a real .
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:08 AM

It's a "must see" if you are touring the Parliament Hill area, always kept very clean, cats are very calm and well looked after. Although they do prefer cash donations, I have heard of people dropping off bags of food and cat accessories (treats, toys etc).

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

wow..if they made wikipedia..then they must be popular. I've been there a few times, but never heard of them. I will need to make a trip this summer and see these little "rock stars"...
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:44 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Maybe I could start doing that! Put a box out for donations to help feed my kitties.

It is an amazing thing that is being done. I find it pretty sad though that it took six years to find someone to replace him.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

They really have a great set up! Its not too hard to find...If I was standing in front of the Parliament Building...they are towards the left side of the buildings. Near where they rebuilt one of the statues a few yrs ago...cant recall the name...anyone on the Hill that works there knows where they are...they get a fair bit of attention...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Well I went, saw and was deeply moved. First of all, I have to say that I never took the time to really visit Ottawa..and it is GORGEOUS!

I went to see the cats and I was so impressed. The cats were in great shape, the shelters were so cute. Lots of food, water and they were lavishing in the shade as well as a big orange cat sprawled out on someone's lap. I saw a black, black and white and a white cat while there. These cats are well cared for and the attraction was amazing. So many people there just to observe the cats. I found that very interesting.

I would definately recommend anyone to visit Ottawa for not only the scenary but for the changing of the guards, the beautiful scenery and of course the cats!
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before mr Chartrand took over looking out for them it was a lady named Irene Desormeaux , mr Chartrand use to help her the odd time when he was between jobs (house painter) she passed away in 87 or 88, cant remember which and he took over, not sure who is looking after it now, when Irene did it she was hated by the guards and polititians *L* but then the schools got involved, I remember visiting it way back in the 70's with our school class and once the schools got involved then the govt thought wow...tourist trade and allowed mr chartrand to install the houses built for him, it use to be just tarps and blankets.
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before mr Chartrand took over looking out for them it was a lady named Irene Desormeaux , mr Chartrand use to help her the odd time when he was between jobs (house painter) she passed away in 87 or 88, cant remember which and he took over, not sure who is looking after it now, when Irene did it she was hated by the guards and polititians *L* but then the schools got involved, I remember visiting it way back in the 70's with our school class and once the schools got involved then the govt thought wow...tourist trade and allowed mr chartrand to install the houses built for him, it use to be just tarps and blankets.
They have a little inscription explaining how this happened and who started it. Really very interesting and so many people gathered to see these cats.

Now if only we could get those same people into a shelter to adopt...
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

people are forever dropping their cats off there thinking they'll "fit" in, but most don't so they gather them up and if no staff or caregiver adopts then off the go to the spca, most do go there, especially if its a mom with or about to have kittens. I send my son there often with money for me, each time I hear about another dropped off pregnant, they ask you not to now. I think there are now 5 different caretakers helping out.
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
people are forever dropping their cats off there thinking they'll "fit" in, but most don't so they gather them up and if no staff or caregiver adopts then off the go to the spca, most do go there, especially if its a mom with or about to have kittens. I send my son there often with money for me, each time I hear about another dropped off pregnant, they ask you not to now. I think there are now 5 different caretakers helping out.
Fascinating. Just looking at the set up I can see how people would think that their abandoned cat would enjoy the area. They certainly do not think about how these poor souls will fit in however.

Did you notice that the white cat was in a completely different area?
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:16 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
wow sounds awesome. Whats it like - is it all wired around or do they have free run?
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

no no GG, they have free run, hell sometimes they go over to the eternal flame with the tourists, you can be sitting there having a picnic and they'll come visit you *L* they all live in these , umm almost mini chicken coops? like large row doghouses with many doors and separate rooms, they clean them out weekly, volunteers, and they have the run of the "hill"
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
no no GG, they have free run, hell sometimes they go over to the eternal flame with the tourists, you can be sitting there having a picnic and they'll come visit you *L* they all live in these , umm almost mini chicken coops? like large row doghouses with many doors and separate rooms, they clean them out weekly, volunteers, and they have the run of the "hill"
Yep - saw 3 near their cat houses and the white one near the hill along the back of the library. Apparently the white one hangs out there. They have food bowls and water bowls along the hill. The white cat could not be bothered with the people at all while the other 3 where putting on quite the attraction...especially the orange tabby!
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

the orange tabby "brownie" is a people favorite and is often seen posing with the tourists and on post cards *L*, GG, you'd love it there, someday we'll take a road trip to my sons and walk over to the hill
Old July 5th, 2010, 02:08 PM

oOOoOOOOOHHH! I'm visiting this summer!! I'm going to go seeeeee! YAY!
Old July 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

you'll get addicted if you go once, I warn you *L* its cute to see the groundhog on a hot day passed out beside the cats...usually right near the feeding station....he/she can't be touched though....the squirrels I swear thing they are cats, I think there are only black squirrels left, red squirrels are getting a bit rare in ottawa now. and please don't forget to drop in the donation box a loonie or two....