Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old February 14th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Angry Jaguar Escapes, Attacks Dog, Both Are Shot By Police

http://www.achannel.ca/home/news_53628.aspx

This is insane. I've seen things like this on Animal Planet's "Animal Cops", but I had no idea this place existed so close to my home.

Who the would ever think it's a good idea to take large predators, some from equatorial/tropical regions, and house them in tiny outdoor chain link cages ... in Canada in the middle of winter no less!!??

The owner thinks that the black jaguar was agitated by a fox that was trying to steal its food, so it broke through the cage. Well, d'uh!! You're keeping wild animals in chain link cages in the middle of nowhere, and you don't think that the meat you're feeding them might attract some of the local wildlife? And on top of that, you think that a chain link fence is going to keep these powerful creatures contained?? And you let your family pet walk around these cages at will??!!

The poor, poor dog. I can't imaging what it went through, being caught and mauled by this cat. And the poor, poor cat! It certainly didn't ask for this life!! I hope someone brings down some seriously heavy new laws to prohibit this kind of thing. The owner's answer? He's thinking about getting a tranquilizer gun, in case something like this ever happens again.
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:16 AM

What ticks me off about this whole situation is that there are people who keep big cats who know what they are doing and then there are morons like this. If this guy was able to get his permits to own this cat then it is obviously far too easy to attain them. And getting a tranquilizer gun is going to help a hell of a lot.... what a moron and in ontario none the less.. its FREEZING.. A jaguar does not belong anywhere with snow... What runs through these peoples heads is beyond me.
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM
-

You do not need a permit, it is governed by local townships whether they have an exotics bylaw or not. The OSPCA has been trying for years to get the government to give them some kind of concrete powers. All this government and its predecessors do is drag their butt.
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
You do not need a permit, it is governed by local townships whether they have an exotics bylaw or not. The OSPCA has been trying for years to get the government to give them some kind of concrete powers. All this government and its predecessors do is drag their butt.

This bylaw is as ignorant as the man who owns these cats. How can you justify keeping a jaguar contained in a chain link fence. I don't even trust my dog in a chain link fence! This is an accident waiting to happen and it is going to take someone getting killed before anything is done about it. Some people make me sick.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renay View Post

This bylaw is as ignorant as the man who owns these cats. How can you justify keeping a jaguar contained in a chain link fence. I don't even trust my dog in a chain link fence! This is an accident waiting to happen and it is going to take someone getting killed before anything is done about it. Some people make me sick.
Ok, this is to you and everyone else who has posted negitave things on this forum. I would first like to say none of you know anything about this. Nanda Guha loves these animals and is trying to give them a life. For your information, the jaguar " bino " escaped from his cage because a fox stole his chicken, trust me you do not want to steal any of their food. Another thing the jaguar did not leave nanda's property, the dog it attacked was nanda's dog. I do agree that keeping animals in cages isnt right, but this is no differnt from any zoo. It is unfair for you to call nanda stupid, or act as if he didnt know what he is doing. Nanda did not have toys or action figures as a kid, he had lions and tigers, he slept with the wild animals from his home country in the forest. If anyone knows these animals its him, I have saw it first hand. It is a very sad situation and I hate to know that bino has died, along with his dog blue, it is very sad, but all of you need to seriously stop hating and acting as if nanda did something wrong. He has given all the animals a life, if it wasnt for him they would have killed all of these animals, i forget the name of the company who does it but they would have killed them all, nanda gave them a second chance at life. Sure it would be nice for them to be in the wild, but it was either that or death, and by all means they have a good life, I have sat outside play fighting with the lion mogly for hours at a time, was very fun for me and the lion, they are happy animals, for you to act like they are depressed with such misrable life is bull ****, you dont know. Sure they would be happier in the wild but that just isnt possible for them! atleast they have some sort of life rather then none. So please to all of you DO NOT POST unless you know all these animals and nanda first hand in real life, none of you seem to know anything.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degree View Post
Ok, this is to you and everyone else who has posted negitave things on this forum. I would first like to say none of you know anything about this. Nanda Guha loves these animals and is trying to give them a life. For your information, the jaguar " bino " escaped from his cage because a fox stole his chicken, trust me you do not want to steal any of their food. Another thing the jaguar did not leave nanda's property, the dog it attacked was nanda's dog. I do agree that keeping animals in cages isnt right, but this is no differnt from any zoo. It is unfair for you to call nanda stupid, or act as if he didnt know what he is doing. Nanda did not have toys or action figures as a kid, he had lions and tigers, he slept with the wild animals from his home country in the forest. If anyone knows these animals its him, I have saw it first hand. It is a very sad situation and I hate to know that bino has died, along with his dog blue, it is very sad, but all of you need to seriously stop hating and acting as if nanda did something wrong. He has given all the animals a life, if it wasnt for him they would have killed all of these animals, i forget the name of the company who does it but they would have killed them all, nanda gave them a second chance at life. Sure it would be nice for them to be in the wild, but it was either that or death, and by all means they have a good life, I have sat outside play fighting with the lion mogly for hours at a time, was very fun for me and the lion, they are happy animals, for you to act like they are depressed with such misrable life is bull ****, you dont know. Sure they would be happier in the wild but that just isnt possible for them! atleast they have some sort of life rather then none. So please to all of you DO NOT POST unless you know all these animals and nanda first hand in real life, none of you seem to know anything.
You're over reacting just a little don't you think? These animals do not belong in cages in road side zoos. I don't care how responsible this person is. And what difference does it make who's dog was mauled? A dog and a jaguar were killed and the jaguar could potentially have mauled a child or grown person had the dog not have crossed its path first. The whole fox story is something that sounds fabricated to me, in my opinion the jaguars natural instincts probably just kicked in after getting out and it decided to "hunt" the dog. And FYI this is a forum where people are SUPPOSED to express their opinions and ideas, you shouldn't be telling people whether or not they have the right to post.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

If you're going to keep these animals, you need to keep them in enclosures they can't get out of....period.
He may love these animals, but keeping a 400lb cat in an enclosure he could escape from cost this animal it's life as well as the life of his dog.
Chances are his little zoo will now be investigated and likely a long list of things he'll need to do to make it safe for both the animals and the public.

Cindy
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

You have a valid point, we really shouldn't judge unless we know all the facts in this case. ( I for one have no idea where this zoo is, how well the animals are cared for, and why he is keeping wild animals)
I think that most people are very upset that a dog and Jaguar were killed, and often its hard to see beyond that.

Bino and poor pup

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~

Last edited by happycats; February 14th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
You're over reacting just a little don't you think? These animals do not belong in cages in road side zoos. I don't care how responsible this person is. And what difference does it make who's dog was mauled? A dog and a jaguar were killed and the jaguar could potentially have mauled a child or grown person had the dog not have crossed its path first. The whole fox story is something that sounds fabricated to me, in my opinion the jaguars natural instincts probably just kicked in after getting out and it decided to "hunt" the dog. And FYI this is a forum where people are SUPPOSED to express their opinions and ideas, you shouldn't be telling people whether or not they have the right to post.
The fox story founds fabricated? NAHH I know for a fact that the only reason the animal would have tried to escape is if something took his food, I know from being there. Bino would not have tried to escape for no reason, I know how he reacts to food, I have talked to nanda first hand, I am not just going by what I heard from the news like you probably are. These animals dont deserve to be in cages, zoo's are the same. It is either they get to live in that cage or they get put down, would you put the animal down or give it some sort of life? I would give it a life. If anything you are overreacting, I am just stating the facts.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
If you're going to keep these animals, you need to keep them in enclosures they can't get out of....period.
He may love these animals, but keeping a 400lb cat in an enclosure he could escape from cost this animal it's life as well as the life of his dog.
Chances are his little zoo will now be investigated and likely a long list of things he'll need to do to make it safe for both the animals and the public.

Cindy
Yeah sure, how about you people help fund for the bigger stronger cages? theres a thought for ya, atleast hes trying.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

He's the one keeping the animals, if he can't afford to cage them properly, he shouldn't have them.
I don't ask anyone to pay for the fence to keep my dogs in my yard or my house to house my cats.

Cindy
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM

you ask would i rather put the animal to sleep or keep it as this guy does... well now this jaguar has been shot dead and so has this guys dog. I do not condone zoo's keeping their animals in cages neither, there are severe long term damages done to these animals by doing so. No matter what you do a jaguar or lion will never be a dog and chain link fences sure aren't going to cut it when you want to keep a 400lbs animal secure.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

IMO this is a very sad situation, no point fighting, 2 poor animals are dead, and fighting isn't making them come back.

We don't know the whole story, like was this a zoo? Is this a wild life snctuary? Maybe this man truly loves these animals, and is doing his best to care for them. I know I for one have had my cats escape on mor ethen one occasion. I'm sure everyone here has had an incident of an escape, it happens!

Just like the Tiger who got loose and killed one boy and mauled the others, that was apparently a reputable zoo, so how did that Tiger escape?

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old February 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
Just like the Tiger who got loose and killed one boy and mauled the others, that was apparently a reputable zoo, so how did that Tiger escape?
That tiger was in an enclosure with a moat and fence 3 feet lower than legally required. That zoo is also being investigated as they've had numerous issues before.
I agree it's a sad situation all around, but if you're going to keep dangerous animals, they need to be kept safely. If you can't manage that, you should not have them.

Cindy
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM

The jaguar escaped from his cage because he was a wild animal being kept in an unsafe environment. Was it the jaguar's fault, or the fox's? Neither. The owner may have the best of intentions, but it is clearly not safe and thefore wrong. Whatever his childhood may have been like, it is not the same as keeping these animals (which are used to having miles and miles to roam in tropical or desert habitats) in a climate like ours in tiny chain link cages. There's a BIG difference between how these animals are being kept and the conditions in a proper zoo, where they make every educated effort to create a proper and safe habitat.

The animal didn't leave his property this time. What happens next time? What happens if one of them breaks loose because a fox is stealing its chickens again, and then it runs into the nearby forest before the police can shoot it? I can't even bear to think of the potential outcome.

I hope this situation brings about some serious changes to legislation and licensing requirements so that people who want to run this type of refuge must follow strict guidelines, undergo regular inspections and have the proper acredited education required to handle these animals safely.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
That tiger was in an enclosure with a moat and fence 3 feet lower than legally required. That zoo is also being investigated as they've had numerous issues before.
I agree it's a sad situation all around, but if you're going to keep dangerous animals, they need to be kept safely. If you can't manage that, you should not have them.

Cindy
Well said. It is too easy for people to get their hands on these kinds of animals and that is exactly what leads to these kinds of accidents. And I keep saying this over and over but I still feel really strongly about the fact that this guy had better count his lucky stars that it wasn't a child that his jaguar mauled.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:

Cindy
Your right, they need to be properly contained.
It's a very sad situation and I wonder how long this jaguar was in this cage? Maybe he has been there awhile and never escaped before, so no one would think he would escape? See there's just so much we don't know!

Old February 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I for one have no idea where this zoo is, how well the animals are cared for, and why he is keeping wild animals.
The sanctuary is located in the Muskokas, a very popular area in the summer for tourists and where most people from Toronto have their summer cottages.

Why is he keeping them? Does that really matter? It's not being done safely, which is the most important point, imho.

But, you're right ... the jaguar and the dog paid the price. It breaks my heart that a majestic creature and a faithful pet had to die, yet again, due to human error. :sad:
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Another reason for tight enforcement on zoos and sanctuaries It really bugs me there's next to no laws regarding how these places are run, yet pit bulls have to be muzzled while out for a walk. Go figure!

The zoo's owner's comment about that enclosure . . . Bull. Here's some great links to information regarding Ontario's zoos:

http://www.ontariozoos.ca
http://www.zoocheck.com

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; February 14th, 2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:17 PM

I hear ya, MOTD. I wonder if Mr. Bryant or his successor have a cottage in the Muskokas...
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun View Post
The sanctuary is located in the Muskokas, a very popular area in the summer for tourists and where most people from Toronto have their summer cottages.

Why is he keeping them? Does that really matter? It's not being done safely, which is the most important point, imho.

But, you're right ... the jaguar and the dog paid the price. It breaks my heart that a majestic creature and a faithful pet had to die, yet again, due to human error. :sad:

To me it matters, was it some cheap sleezy zoo out to make a few bucks, or was it an actually sanctuary, where animals would have been put to death had this sanctuary not taken them in? IMO there is a difference.

Old February 14th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
To me it matters, was it some cheap sleezy zoo out to make a few bucks, or was it an actually sanctuary, where animals would have been put to death had this sanctuary not taken them in? IMO there is a difference.
IMO there's no difference, since the end result is that an animal (2 animals, actually) died because of a human being's negligence. I do believe there was negligence involved, since the cage was insufficient to hold the animal in question. I think the owner might feel that he is running an actual sanctuary ... but is it truly a "sanctuary" if the animals are not in proper habitats? I'm sure he loves his animals and feels he is doing the best he can, but how often have we seen on this board alone that "the best you can" is not always good enough?
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
IMO there's no difference, since the end result is that an animal (2 animals, actually) died because of a human being's negligence. I do believe there was negligence involved, since the cage was insufficient to hold the animal in question. I think the owner might feel that he is running an actual sanctuary ... but is it truly a "sanctuary" if the animals are not in proper habitats? I'm sure he loves his animals and feels he is doing the best he can, but how often have we seen on this board alone that "the best you can" is not always good enough?
You can never do good enough for a wild animal in my opinion, the only thing good enough for them is being free in the wild in their natural habitat. That being said, some animals are not safe in the wild, and the only safe place for them is in captivity.
With habitat destruction, poching, hunting, logging and human's totaly taking over everything, many wild animals would be dead/extinct if it weren't for zoo's and sanctuarys.

Old February 14th, 2008, 06:57 PM

With sanctuarys like this one what difference does it honestly make whether or not they are left in the wild or they are put into captivity? Sure, MAYBE this guy really did love his animals, MAYBE his animals really are well cared for, well maybe he'll think twice now about reinforcing his fencing and about properly containing these animals that he is supposed to love oh so much. It makes me very angry to see these people who think they have a god given right to own whatever their little hearts desire. People need to stop seeing animals as a commodity and open their eyes to the reality that they are a HUGE responsibility.
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM

I don't know, Happycats. :sad: I'd like to think that they are better off in captivity, but I've seen some pretty disturbing behaviour shown in captive animals that makes me wonder. Part of me would like to go to these road-side zoos and sanctuaries and make an "informed" decision myself about whether or not they're doing "the best" for the animals. Part of me doesn't want to go, afraid of what I'll find, and also because I wouldn't want to support someone who's in it for the money at the animals' expense.

I posted something about environmental groups in the Off Topic folder. Apparently, WSPA has reported on a couple of these road side zoos (I don't know if this particular zoo was one of them). Some of the zoos have started fighting back. It's so easy for both sides to post pictures and video that support their cause, it's very hard to figure out who to believe these days. :sad:
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
He has had many animals live there for years and years. He never had a animal escape before, this was the first time. Have you ever had one of your dogs escape? or cats?mistakes are bound to happen over time, you think a animal has never escaped the zoo? Do you know Nanda Guha your self? have you seen how he ran his zoo? have you seen how his cages were build? I dont think you know much about his zoo, once again I say people should not talk about things they dont know details. I helped feed those animals and run the farm for over 2 years, I helped build some of the cages. He cared his best and took good care of his animals. For the people who say " he was trying to make a buck " That is BS, he put more money into those animals then he ever made, the little bit of money he made went towards helping the animals. The cages were build strong and legal hight. Like I said before, This was the first time anything like this has happened over the many years he have had these animals. You all need to stop judging if you dont know Nanda, and if you havnt seen his farm first hand. I seen it for over 2 years of helping him, and I know more then anyone here, it was a freak accident.
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
With sanctuarys like this one what difference does it honestly make whether or not they are left in the wild or they are put into captivity? Sure, MAYBE this guy really did love his animals, MAYBE his animals really are well cared for, well maybe he'll think twice now about reinforcing his fencing and about properly containing these animals that he is supposed to love oh so much. It makes me very angry to see these people who think they have a god given right to own whatever their little hearts desire. People need to stop seeing animals as a commodity and open their eyes to the reality that they are a HUGE responsibility.
Every one of those animals at Nanda's zoo would have been killed. Every one that he ever cared for would have died. If you do not know Nanda Guha your self why do you keep accusing him of things? This was the first time any animal has escaped from his zoo, He has lived there years and years. Freak accident as I said before, stop judging if you dont know first hand. It doesnt matter anything you say because he gave all those animals a chance at life, its sad that Bino and blue died, horible accident. When they take all the tigers, lions, jaguars, they will kill them all, they would have a long time ago. STOP JUDGING UNLESS YOU GO TALK TO NANDA YOUR SELF AND WHAT THE ZOO WAS LIKE AND HOW IT WAS BUILT PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:38 PM
-

Degree - I find you slightly over zealous in your responses to the members of this forum. They are very much entitled to their opinions as you are. It almost feels like you are yelling. Regardless of how much care and love these animals receive, there is absolutely no question that Roadside Zoos are in very dire need of some governance. That is not my opinion, it is a fact.
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I just viewed the video of the newscast, what caught my attention was when the reporter said that the "jaguar worked for hours to create the hole in the fence that it escaped though." Obviously the fencing is NOT strong enough if the jaguar can work to free itself.

I googled Guha's sanctuary and found a blog here with some interesting comments about Nanda Guha.

I think if people in this province want to create a sanctuary, then they should be limited to animals that are native to this climate and be under strict rules and regulations governing the operation of such a facility.

How did these animals come to be in Ontario? Did he import them?

If anyone is really concerned about this facility contact www.zoocheck.com, they are a national charity dedicated to the welfare of captive animals. They conduct investigations into privately run facilities. In fact, they did a report on Guha's Lion and Tiger Farm in 2006. Here it is: report. I didn't have to search hard to find this.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??

Last edited by Stacer; February 15th, 2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
I just viewed the video of the newscast, what caught my attention was when the reporter said that the "jaguar worked for hours to create the hole in the fence that it escaped though." Obviously the fencing is NOT strong enough if the jaguar can work to free itself.

I googled Guha's sanctuary and found a blog here with some interesting comments about Nanda Guha.

I think if people in this province want to create a sanctuary, then they should be limited to animals that are native to this climate and be under strict rules and regulations governing the operation of such a facility.

How did these animals come to be in Ontario? Did he import them?

If anyone is really concerned about this facility contact www.zoocheck.com, they are a national charity dedicated to the welfare of captive animals. They conduct investigations into privately run facilities. In fact, they did a report on Guha's Lion and Tiger Farm in 2006. Here it is: report
Alot of the blog's comments are not correct at all, things about him being a liar is not true, whoever took the things he said is a idiot, he makes jokes. Also Bino has been there for a few years and never escaped. Do you know what Bino looks like? Have you seen how he acts when food is around? That thing was a tank, it could have escaped almost any cage if it really wanted to. They are not supposed to try and escape like that, it was a freak accident. How many animals have escaped from Zoo's? I have heard a few story's about it at the Toronto zoo, What do you got to say about that? They should shut down all zoo's maybe? all your comments are stupid, it was a accident. period. Only info you people know is he said she said BS you dont know any of it first hand in person, you dont know what truly happend and why it happend.