Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old June 12th, 2017, 11:06 PM

Painted Turtle Laying Eggs

I cannot believe my luck! I witnessed a painted turtle laying its eggs beside my deck. How cool is that

Sorry the pics keep turning sideways
Attached Images

Old June 13th, 2017, 11:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, that's awesome! You might want to put a little fence around the nest so you can keep track of it. Maybe you'll see the babies dig themselves out!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 13th, 2017, 10:02 PM

Hi Lynne:

Your pictures bring back fond memories of when I used to travel around your neck of the woods and I can remember going out of your town north, this time of year, and the highway would have skads of painted turtles crossing it in order to get to the other side to go into the swamps and lowlands to lay eggs.

Not to mention all the little green frogs, especially on a damp day, crossing the highways. This is going back a few years when there were little green frogs.... we used to catch for fishing. This is going back before the time of the bypass around your town.
Old June 14th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I love turtles so this is really cool ! Is there a pond near your house that the babies can get to ?
Old June 14th, 2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Hi Lynne:

Your pictures bring back fond memories of when I used to travel around your neck of the woods and I can remember going out of your town north, this time of year, and the highway would have skads of painted turtles crossing it in order to get to the other side to go into the swamps and lowlands to lay eggs.

Not to mention all the little green frogs, especially on a damp day, crossing the highways. This is going back a few years when there were little green frogs.... we used to catch for fishing. This is going back before the time of the bypass around your town.
Reg you probably know this town way better than me......we moved here about a year ago and still figuring out where things are. Sometimes I have to use the GPS
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I love turtles so this is really cool ! Is there a pond near your house that the babies can get to ?
Yes the turtles come out of the lake and make their way up the back yard. I've seen four more in the last few days so it's going to be a stampede once they all start hatching. 🐢🐢🐢🐢
Hopefully I get to see them!

Here's a picture (sorry it's sideways) of the water so not too far for the babies.
Attached Images

Old June 15th, 2017, 09:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Your place looks like a turtle paradise! Should be fun when they hatch! Do you know how long it takes before you can expect to see any babies? Or does it depend on the weather?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 15th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh I envy you ! I am totally crazy about turtles and been all my life . My favorite toy was a turtle . It would be cool if could set up a camera to record the babies hatching out their eggs . You have a beautiful back yard with a lake .
Old June 15th, 2017, 10:00 PM

Hi there Lynne:

No I really don't know the area like the back of my hand, but when I was much younger our family had property in the Highlands and we travelled that highway quite often before permanently moving there.

I have a couple of cousins who live in Lindsay and I'd love to get down to see them some day.

I think I recognize the lake - it looks familiar. And by the way I had a painted turtle as a kid. Have you run into any snapping turtles yet? There used to be lots of them around too, north up the highway. And some were really big - heads on them bigger than your fist and a neck the size of your wrist. If you ever got your fingers in the way, it would be instant amputation with no sedation. But we still lifted them up carefully and checked their weight, and took them off the middle of the road.
Old June 15th, 2017, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hi there Lynne:

No I really don't know the area like the back of my hand, but when I was much younger our family had property in the Highlands and we travelled that highway quite often before permanently moving there.

I have a couple of cousins who live in Lindsay and I'd love to get down to see them some day.

I think I recognize the lake - it looks familiar. And by the way I had a painted turtle as a kid. Have you run into any snapping turtles yet? There used to be lots of them around too, north up the highway. And some were really big - heads on them bigger than your fist and a neck the size of your wrist. If you ever got your fingers in the way, it would be instant amputation with no sedation. But we still lifted them up carefully and checked their weight, and took them off the middle of the road.
We have a pond in my city and there are snapping turtles in it . Parents will let their kids pick a turtle up and I am like I went to a summer camp and I didn't have a hearing aid yet so I didn't hear a counselor
warn us not to put our feet in the water and I got bitten by a snapping turtle on a big toe ! OMG ! I cried like HELL , I am lucky I still have 10 toes .
Old June 16th, 2017, 01:54 AM

You're so lucky!
I recall having two friends who lost their turtle for unknown reasons.
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Your place looks like a turtle paradise! Should be fun when they hatch! Do you know how long it takes before you can expect to see any babies? Or does it depend on the weather?
Online I found out they take around 72 days to hatch. I cannot keep track of or protect all the nests. I just hope to see the little guys when they hatch. Had no idea there were so many turtles here. I did read that the temperature of the nest determines the gender
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Hi there Lynne:

Would you believe this girl chose my front yard to lay her eggs Not sure how these little ones are gonna find their way to the lake. The snappers eggs take 80-90 days to hatch so I guess I'll be on baby watch for quite some time
Attached Images

Old June 19th, 2017, 10:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Wow! Multiple nests and multiple species! If they all hatch at once, your lawn will be carpeted with turtles! Now that would be a sight to behold!

Old June 20th, 2017, 11:13 PM

OMGoodness I'm sooooo excited with all this turtle activity.

Tigger, my cat has loved watching all the chipmunks and birds through the windows but when the big snapper was seeking the best spot to nest he was growling and hissing

I've recorded the estimated hatching dates in my calendar and will do my best to record the stampede of turtle babies. Have lots of time to figure out how to post videos.
Old June 20th, 2017, 11:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A stampede of turtles! Now there's an entertaining mental image!

I think Tigger is a very smart boy!

Old June 21st, 2017, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't wait to see your video of the babies turtles hatching !

How many more days do you think it will be? Your has the beat seat for the live nature show !
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I can't wait to see your video of the babies turtles hatching !

How many more days do you think it will be? Your has the beat seat for the live nature show !
Me too 🐢🐢🐢🐢! Yes Tigger is the king of his castle

I have seen the Painted turtles nesting almost every day since June 7. I don't have enough cages to protect all the nests so sadly a lot of them have been dug up by predators Incubation is 72 days for these guys so hopefully the lucky ones should start hatching around August 18th.

Snapping turtle eggs were laid on Friday June 16. I think the Incubation is 80-90 days so they are due to hatch sometime between Sept 5 and Sept 15.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's a shame so many nests get predated, but I suppose a turtle egg is a nutritious little package and nigh unto irresistible to the local predators. I wish we were closer--we have a bunch of old wire dog kennels that might work to protect the nests!

Old June 23rd, 2017, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Is there any wildlife rescue centers near you that you borrow crates from to protect the eggs ?
Old June 23rd, 2017, 09:52 PM

Hello Lynne&Co.

I've been thinking about your dilemma about the turtle eggs and recall that some years ago while I was working in the bush, we had a couple of episodes with the beavers.

We had to poke a hole in their dam to reduce the water level in the pond so that we could use a road to access a property. What we did after punching the hole in the dam, was to take a couple of cloth bags and put some moth crystals in them and tied them to short steel poles and put them upright into the opening - like a flag pole - that we had punched in the dam. This was to stop the beavers from repairing the damage for the few days while we were working in the area.

When we were finished, we took them out so the animals could do their repair work.

I was thinking that something like this might work for you or at least worth looking into or thinking about. Just use a stick or if you prefer, the moth balls could probably be set on the ground around the nest about 8 inches to a foot away from it. And I'd only start with 3 little piles in a triangle containing 2 or 3 moth balls each. This might be enough to deter any intruders. The odour of the moth balls seems to be a deterrent - they don't like it.

Do a little bit of research into it and see what you think.

Last edited by Reg; June 24th, 2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old June 24th, 2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It's a shame so many nests get predated, but I suppose a turtle egg is a nutritious little package and nigh unto irresistible to the local predators. I wish we were closer--we have a bunch of old wire dog kennels that might work to protect the nests!
It is a shame Hazel but like you've said, an egg is nutritious. Two more painted turtles laid eggs in the backyard this afternoon. DH had to put down tools and wait about an hour for the girls to finish their nests and head back to the lake. We feel so protective of them now and realize that if all these babies hatched there would probably be no room in the lake for anything else.

Snapper nest protected. Painted trying to nest around the snappers nest
Attached Images

Old June 24th, 2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Is there any wildlife rescue centers near you that you borrow crates from to protect the eggs ?
Yes there are however they don't seem concerned due to the large volume of turtles nesting Unless a turtle is injured or in distress the wildlife rescue are not interested.
Old June 24th, 2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Hello Lynne&Co.

I've been thinking about your dilemma about the turtle eggs and recall that some years ago while I was working in the bush, we had a couple of episodes with the beavers.

We had to poke a hole in their dam to reduce the water level in the pond so that we could use a road to access a property. What we did after punching the hole in the dam, was to take a couple of cloth bags and put some moth crystals in them and tied them to short steel poles and put them upright into the opening - like a flag pole - that we had punched in the dam. This was to stop the beavers from repairing the damage for the few days while we were working in the area.

When we were finished, we took them out so the animals could do their repair work.

I was thinking that something like this might work for you or at least worth looking into or thinking about. Just use a stick or if you prefer, the moth balls could probably be set on the ground around the nest about 8 inches to a foot away from it. And I'd only start with 3 little piles in a triangle containing 2 or 3 moth balls each. This might be enough to deter any intruders. The odour of the moth balls seems to be a deterrent - they don't like it.

Do a little bit of research into it and see what you think.
Thank you for the advice. Will look into it and see.

Today I accidentally dug up a nest while gardening. Not sure when they were laid but have now placed 8 painted turtle eggs into a bucket of soil. Protected it with a screen and two rocks so hopefully the eggs incubate properly.
Attached Images

Old June 24th, 2017, 11:03 PM

Here's the other two eggs before I picked them out.
Attached Images

Old June 25th, 2017, 09:43 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Holy katz! You need to rename your place "Turtle Nursery"!

Old June 25th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

The eggs need to be cover with dirt so they can incubate properly . I think it would had been best to put the eggs back where you found them and cover them up with dirt . You're literally walking on eggs shell !

Why are the turtles called 'painted' turtles , I thought they were have more color on their shells . LOL!
Old June 25th, 2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
The eggs need to be cover with dirt so they can incubate properly . I think it would had been best to put the eggs back where you found them and cover them up with dirt . You're literally walking on eggs shell !

Why are the turtles called 'painted' turtles , I thought they were have more color on their shells . LOL!
After taking the picture, I did cover the eggs with dirt

Excavation is happening next week so leaving the nest alone was not an option. These turtles have literally taken over but we do what we can to live in harmony with them.

As for why they're called painted turtles I think it refers to their underside? I did pick one up that was cruising up the driveway and had a good look. They have quite a bit of colour underneath and on their legs, tail and head
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Co. View Post

Excavation is happening next week so leaving the nest alone was not an option. These turtles have literally taken over but we do what we can to live in harmony with them.

As for why they're called painted turtles I think it refers to their underside? I did pick one up that was cruising up the driveway and had a good look. They have quite a bit of colour underneath and on their legs, tail and head
Ok thanks I was wondering why they got that name , I will see if I can find a painted turtle belly online .
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Co. View Post

Ok thanks I was wondering why they got that name , I will see if I can find a painted turtle belly online . Their bellies is very pretty !