Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 18th, 2013, 10:37 AM

Stomatitis in cats - Ottawa Cat dental

I have an eight-year old cat that has recently developed severe stomatitis. She has had all her teeth removed except the canines, but the stomatitis has not abated. At this point the canines need to be removed to see if that will reduce the severe inflammation. I would like recommendations from anyone with positive experience with dental work for their cat. I am looking for experienced Ottawa area veterinarians with excellent cat dental surgery skills and strong client service/communication skills. I would like a vet that has remained up-to-date with evolving veterinary medicine.

The vet clinic also needs a dental x-ray machine (different from regular x-ray machine) to adequately assess her mouth, i.e. detect whether there are roots remaining in her mouth.
I prefer a centrally-located vet clinic, but will travel for excellent care. The surgery is not emergency surgery so a veterinary emergency hospital is not necessary. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited by snowfeather; December 18th, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old December 18th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I have an opinion on this.

If there's only 4 teeth left then your cat is in the same situation as my 9 year old Sphynx cat Twiggy....in fact for all i know Twiggy has this disease even though no vet has mentioned this to us yet. We adopted her 2 years ago and she's had 7 extractions - only 4 canine teeth left. She is on antibiotics...but will likely need her last 4 teeth extracted at some point. If she didn't have a brother with a full set of teeth they would have already been extracted.

Anyway - I did some research on extractions in cats. And many vets will do these extractions ....but according to my research, many vets should NOT be doing these extractions.
They often don't have the best equipment NOR do they have the experience to make the procedure go as smoothly as possible.
This research is based on the opinion of a vet that I trust.

If you are able to go to veterinary dentist, I'm told removing the canines is much much easier and recovery is faster. Their surgical technique is different as well from what I'm told. The dentist will cut into the gums to remove the affected teeth with ease in one shot. Your vet will likely have to use physical pressure to yank the sucker out from the top in stages, and occasionally the tooth itself or worse, the jaw itself may break.

Although the fees of the dentist will be higher per hour, it may well take less time to do the job.

If money isn't that tight, based on my research, I'd highly suggest a recommended veterinary dentist.

Good luck! and as usual I'd be curious to hear other members' opinions.

(I renamed this thread so others can find 'stomatitis' more easily).
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 18th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Willing cat servant

Pibi (Fibrizo) has it and he's been through so much pain with different things one of them being extraction and it didn't help
We just treat the crisis and as maintenance 2 or 3 times a week he's fed coconut oil as an auxiliary to keep the mouth a bit more clean.
I'm sure I've seen threads here about stomatitis and alternative ways to approach it.
This thread that I'm going to link contains links to a lot of information on the subject. I hope it's useful. It is a very painful condition. Fibrizo has suffered a lot. Once a vet went for extraction without sleeping him. It was something that it was a miracle one of us didn't pass out right there.
Here's the link:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ght=stomatitis
Old December 19th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Thx for that KB!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter

Tags
cat vet ottawa