Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 12th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Corn silk is suppose to act like a diuretic and help with blood sugar levels. I would be concerned whether the silk has the same chemical ingredient that leads to allergies, that the actual seed does.

Is a peanut shell as dangerous as the peanut itself to somebody who has allergies?

People should be informed of ingredients by the common name to allow the consumer to make the best choices. If Champion foods does not want consumers know it has corn in it and the ingredient is not a major one why include it????
Old September 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Swift Tribe

Hunter or Shadow have a suspected corn allergy. or rather a grain allergy?? not sure. well i chopped some corn silk into their food, not a lot, maybe if you smashed some into a 1/8ts?? and put it in each cats food last night. Hunter and Shadow barfed up only that part of their food. the rest stayed down but this morning, hours after i fed them, it came back up.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budboybudboy77 View Post
Hi I have some Orijen for sale ,bag has been opened but not much taken out it is there large bag.
Budboy - return it to the store with the receipt you bought it from they should give you your money back even if the bag is open, or you could donate it to a shelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Corn silk is suppose to act like a diuretic and help with blood sugar levels. I would be concerned whether the silk has the same chemical ingredient that leads to allergies, that the actual seed does.

Is a peanut shell as dangerous as the peanut itself to somebody who has allergies?

People should be informed of ingredients by the common name to allow the consumer to make the best choices. If Champion foods does not want consumers know it has corn in it and the ingredient is not a major one why include it????
YES peanut shells are just as dangerous for those w/peanut allergies (boy next door to my parents is deathly allergic to anything that has come in contact with peanuts - even touching a knife used in peanut butter if not properly washed) so I would assume the same for corn & zea mays for those w/allergies to corn

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:31 PM
-

Has anyone had any luck getting an answer from Champion Pet Foods? They've always been so good about answering before but they're not replying to my emails.
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:25 AM

For what it's worth I've always had slow responses from them. I think one time it was 2 months! When I got the reply I had completely forgotten about writing to them.
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Remembering Lukka

No answer from them yet here either rainbow
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Not answering me either.

Cindy
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I e-mailed and asked about possible future production of canned cat food and no answer from them yet.
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

No answer here either, however, when I emailed asking about sodium content for Bailey's special needs they replied within 24 hours?!?!?!
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I just looked online, I didn't see it in the 6 fish formula, but then again, I've had a VERY long day ...is it in that one too, or the regular formula only?

I am about to buy a new bag, have about 4 days left of the LB Puppy, buying adult this time, might try the fish formula, and see if she likes it. I might see if there are smaple bags....have you seen those out there? I am still buying sample bags for Pubert, not sure why???

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:28 PM

Hi I don't have receipt anymore for food, I'll try to talk to the owner see what he can do.

Champion foods ,I have e-mailed them 2-3 times and called once.
I got replies back from all.

I talked to a rep named Mike.
Hope this helps
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Any answers yet?

I'm curious, but really... not concerned. This is what I get with Orijen... no coaxing, no games, just this...

They could put grasshoppers in it for all I care, it's better than most foods out there and he's eating it! (The really great poops are a plus, too).
Old September 15th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
They could put grasshoppers in it for all I care,

The firm poops are amazing aren't they. I was beginning to wonder if Lukka would ever have a poop that I could pick up with a bag and not just smear
on the ground. Glad to see Tommy is eating! He is such a cute little dickens
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM

LOL, I hear you on the poops! I used to bring back little poop bags filled with more grass than anything else on our walks. I hate just leaving my dog's poop on public property, but I was beginning to think people would wonder if I was stealing their sod.
Old September 15th, 2007, 02:20 PM
-

Awww.....Tommy pics.

I'm also not concerned about the zea mays but I do wish they would acknowledge someones email with clarification.
Old September 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
I just looked online, I didn't see it in the 6 fish formula, but then again, I've had a VERY long day ...is it in that one too, or the regular formula only?

Yes, it's in the 6 Fish formula too....

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orij...gredients.aspx
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Thanks for posting about the zea mays!

I've been feeding Orijen since it first came out. I'd also be interested to find out what form of corn it is and whether it promotes allergies like the grain form.

I checked the website and they don't seem to have a description of it under botanicals like all the other ones - you'd think if they updated the bags they would have at least updated the website with a description.
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I still haven't heard back from them yet. I'd really just like to know if it's corn silk or indian corn thats in it. I hate the thought of changing foods when the puppies are doing so well on it but I want a totally grain free food.

Cindy
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I got my reply today.
Fairly explanational and I am pleased with the reply all in all. However my mind is not 100% at ease that a dog with severe allergies wont be affected. I just hope if they are the owners are well informed.
Here's what was replyed to me.
Quote:
Hello Erika, and thanks very much for your letter.

Our mission here at Champion Petfoods is to produce WORLD-CLASS PET FOODS FROM FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS. This mission guides our product and formulation developments. We are of course NOT hiding corn in our ingredient list – but given all of what has happened this year, we can very well understand your mistrust of the pet food industry.

In fact you are correct in assuming the ingredient is corn silk, which is not made from grain but is rather an extract produced from the filaments on the inside of the corn leaf from female plants.

That said, please do not associate Corn Silk with corn grain – corn silk is a very expensive botanical nutrient that does not include any grain or starch and is NOT a source of protein. Consider that while the botanical is very expensive, corn of course is not. The equivalent value of corn (for the same inclusion rate as corn silk) would be pennies and would neither improve the formula nor reduce the cost (which I think you might suspect us of trying to do). In short, this is not a strategy the ORIJEN would entertain.

Erika, please see the information on corn silk below which explains why this botanical ingredient is included in ORIJEN formulations (urinary health) and please write again if I can provide any further information.

Kind Regards,

Peter

www.championpetfoods.com

WHAT IS CORNSILK?

Cornsilk (Zea mays) is an herbal remedy made from stigmas, the yellowish thread-like strands found inside the husks of corn. The stigmas are found on the female flower of corn, a grain that is also known as maize and is a member of the grass family

Corn silk is used to treat urinary tract infections and kidney stones and is regarded as a soothing diuretic and useful for irritation in the urinary system. This gives it added importance, since today, physicians are more concerned about the increased use of antibiotics to treat infections, especially in children. Furthermore, corn silk is used in combination with other herbs to treat conditions such as cystitis (inflammation of the urinary bladder) and urethritis (inflammation of the urethra).

Since corn silk is used as a kidney remedy and in the regulation of fluids, the herb is believed to be helpful in treating high blood pressure and water retention. Corn-silk is also used as a remedy for edema (the abnormal accumulation of fluids). Corn silk is used to treat urinary conditions in countries including the United Sates, China, Haiti, Turkey, and Trinidad. Furthermore, in China, corn silk as a component in an herbal formula is used to treat diabetes.

Corn silk is not a protein.
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM
-

I got my reply from Peter this morning too....

Quote:
Hello Marie and thanks very much for your enquiry.

Our mission at Champion Petfoods is to produce WORLD-CLASS PET FOODS FROM FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS. This mission guides all our product and formulation developments as well as ingredient choices.

The Zea Mays you see in the ORIJEN ingredient list is corn silk which is not made from grain but is an extract produced from the filaments inside of the leaf from female corn plants.

Please do not associate Corn Silk with corn grain – corn silk is an expensive botanical that does NOT include grain or starch and is NOT a source of protein. Marie, please review the information on corn silk below which explains why we have included this exceptional botanical in our ORIJEN formulations (urinary health), and please write again if I can provide any further information on this or any other subject.

(Then compare ORIJEN to other “grain-free” pet foods which are made with flax J)

Kind Regards,

Peter

www.championpetfoods.com

WHAT IS CORNSILK?

Cornsilk (Zea mays) is an herbal remedy made from stigmas, the yellowish thread-like strands found inside the husks of corn. The stigmas are found on the female flower of corn, a grain that is also known as maize and is a member of the grass family

Corn silk is used to treat urinary tract infections and kidney stones and is regarded as a soothing diuretic and useful for irritation in the urinary system. This gives it added importance, since today, physicians are more concerned about the increased use of antibiotics to treat infections, especially in children. Furthermore, corn silk is used in combination with other herbs to treat conditions such as cystitis (inflammation of the urinary bladder) and urethritis (inflammation of the urethra).

Since corn silk is used as a kidney remedy and in the regulation of fluids, the herb is believed to be helpful in treating high blood pressure and water retention. Corn-silk is also used as a remedy for edema (the abnormal accumulation of fluids). Corn silk is used to treat urinary conditions in countries including the United Sates, China, Haiti, Turkey, and Trinidad. Furthermore, in China, corn silk as a component in an herbal formula is used to treat diabetes.

Corn silk is not a protein.
Old September 17th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

LOL, I guess everyone will get a reply that is little more than a cut and paste from Peter, just different names in the letter.
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM
-

Yeah, at first I thought it was a form letter but they are worded just a tad different.
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Remembering Lukka

I got my reply as well, pretty much the same tone as the two I have just read here
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Owned by goldens

Orijen

Today must have been the day they answer e-mails. Someone on another message board I belong to got the exact same letter today.
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:15 AM

At least it was originally written by a real person, heehee did you notice:
Quote:
the United Sates

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM
NOT a senior member

Hmmm....I have been feeding my bullmastiff Orijen exclusively to rule out possible grain allergies from recurrent ear infections. I wonder now with the inclusion of this ingredient, if it would make a difference to a dog with grain allergies. I wish he was clearer about this, or maybe he doesn't know? Perhaps it depends on the extent of the allergy, as was mentioned before. I hope I'm not wasting my time feeding it if it did make a difference. So far so good though, he took to the Orijen like a duck to water...no runny poops at all, which is very unusual for him, especially since I changed him over pretty fast. Wait and see I guess.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Honestly I wouldnt switch the food if your dog is doing great on it. It is still a good food, but I really wish Orijen would have aknowleged that some people are VERY concerned with corn products, if its "corn silk" why not list it as such?
If you google zee mays you get a listing for corn, it takes a few sites before there is any mention of corn silk.

I'm still going to feed it, because I dont trust anyone else really.
Old September 19th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I got my reply too Same as the rest. I've sent back a request asking why they chose to call it zea mays and whether or not it would cause problems for dogs with allergies to corn.

Cindy
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledomino View Post
Hmmm....I have been feeding my bullmastiff Orijen exclusively to rule out possible grain allergies from recurrent ear infections. I wonder now with the inclusion of this ingredient, if it would make a difference to a dog with grain allergies. I wish he was clearer about this, or maybe he doesn't know? Perhaps it depends on the extent of the allergy, as was mentioned before. I hope I'm not wasting my time feeding it if it did make a difference. So far so good though, he took to the Orijen like a duck to water...no runny poops at all, which is very unusual for him, especially since I changed him over pretty fast. Wait and see I guess.

Peter said in his reply that zea mays is not made from grain....

Quote:
The Zea Mays you see in the ORIJEN ingredient list is corn silk which is not made from grain but is an extract produced from the filaments inside of the leaf from female corn plants.

Please do not associate Corn Silk with corn grain – corn silk is an expensive botanical that does NOT include grain or starch and is NOT a source of protein.
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
I got my reply too Same as the rest. I've sent back a request asking why they chose to call it zea mays and whether or not it would cause problems for dogs with allergies to corn.

Cindy

I don't see why it would cause problems for dogs with corn allergies if it's not made from the grain.