Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 14th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Kirkland is much better, good value, but it's not all the way up there with the holistic foods. There are also stool hardeners (beet pulp). The rest is ok.
(I'll try to get some samples of wolf king for you next time I see you... )

Last edited by Ford; October 10th, 2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: slander
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Thanks Everyone,

I'll take you up on the sample offer, Prin.

Last night and this morning, I gave Max half Iams and half of the Kirkland Lamb and Rice and I swear he picked off the Iams and just ate the Kirkland brand! (Eventually he went back and ate it all, though).

Next time, I think I'll buy the chicken and rice instead since he's not very active.
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:03 PM

You don't want to wait till the warnings and recalls wear off?
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:22 PM

Prin,

huh?
Crap! I just read it.
It's back to IAMS!

How can we find out when it will be safe again?
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:26 PM

ShannonRN feeds "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul", which is made by Diamond too, and their bags have little "safe" stickers on them.
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:57 PM

I don't want to change between brands too fast in case he reacts to something. I may not know what he reacted to.

I gave him a cup of kirkland signature yesterday night, a cup this morning and a cup this evening....Should I be worried? What should I look for?
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:59 PM

If the food is bad, you mean? I think it was lethargy, fever, etc, like serious poisoning...
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:00 PM

Here:
Quote:
Meanwhile, if your pet is showing any symptoms of illness, including sluggishness or lethargy combined with a reluctance to eat, yellowish tint to the eyes and/or gums, and severe or bloody diarrhea, please consult your veterinarian immediately
Is that what you meant?
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Not-so-senior member

Not exactly Prin (re: the safe stickers)...but here's what Diamond says:

Contaminated Diamond Pet Food Products and "Best By" Dates Narrowed
META, Mo. – Jan. 11, 2006 – Based on analytical sampling of finished product lots retained by Diamond Pet Foods, the company has been able to narrow products and "Best By" dates affected by aflatoxin.

Testing of more than 2,700 finished product samples conducted by independent laboratories confirms that only Diamond Maintenance Dog and Diamond Premium Adult Dog with "Best By" dates of April 3, April 4, April 5, and April 11, 2007, are potentially toxic. These products also will have a capital "G" (in reference to the company's Gaston, S.C., facility) in the 11th or 12th position of the date code (18 lb. to 55 lb. bags). The capital "G" will be in the 9th position on smaller 4 lb. to 8 lb. bags.

Test results for all other products have not been toxic.

As a proactive precautionary measure, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul and Premium Edge brands have been tested and are negative for aflatoxin. It is important for consumers to note that Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul and Premium Edge brands are not included in the product recall.

"This testing will help our customers better identify products affected," said Mark Brinkmann, chief operations officer, Diamond Pet Foods.

Brinkmann also stressed that products included in the original voluntary recall should be returned to retailers. For complete information on the product recall, please refer to the company's Web site, www.diamondpet.com.

On December 21, Diamond Pet Foods initiated a voluntary recall of all products containing corn produced at its Gaston, S.C., facility and distributed to 23 states in the eastern U.S. The only states affected by the recall are Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Vermont and Virginia.

Just to be safe, because frankly I don't entirely trust ANY company experiencing HUGE financial losses and lawsuits, I was making sure that even our Chicken Soup food had 'safe' best by dating on the bags...just to be sure the food wasn't in contact with unsafe foods. I don't think the Kirkland brands were ever recalled either so it's probably okay.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:02 PM

That's what bugs me though- Kirkland is never mentioned, so how do we know it's safe?
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:09 PM

<Quote>
If the food is bad, you mean? I think it was lethargy, fever, etc, like serious poisoning...</quote>

Ya.....Are the symptoms immediate or should I keep an eye on him for a while?
Prin, I should have you on speed dial!

ShannonRN, I'm gonna see if can call the company tomorrow morning about Kirkland just to be sure.

Last edited by catsnatcher-CDN; January 15th, 2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Not-so-senior member

There are just the original releases mentioning Kirkland:

http://www.diamondpetrecall.net/faq.php?ID=6

What products are NOT included in the recall?
Although certain pet foods produced at the Gaston facility have been voluntarily recalled due to potential aflatoxin contamination, a wide range of the plant's products are perfectly safe and still can be purchased from retailers.

Gaston products not part of the recall include:

All Premium Edge products
The complete Chicken Soup product lines
Canine Club
Kirkland Signature Puppy
Kirkland Signature Chicken & Rice Adult Dog
Kirkland Signature Lamb & Rice Adult Dog
Kirkland Signature Mature Dog
Kirkland Signature Maintenance Cat
Diamond Lamb and Rice Adult
Diamond Large Breed Adult 60+
Diamond Large Breed Puppy (Lamb & Rice Puppy)
Diamond Senior 8+
Diamond Kitten
Professional Lamb and Rice
Professional Reduced Fat Chicken & Rice Dog Food

I don't think it's unsafe to feed ANY of the Diamond foods, as long as you check the label for the codes & best by dates. It's believed it was a single corn shipment that was tainted but managed to slip through. But if the Kirkland foods don't have corn, that's another factor making it unlikely that there could be any problem with the food.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:21 PM

Then it's good you got lamb and rice after all!
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:21 PM

Thanks for that ShannonRn,

I feel better that there won't be consequences.

Sheesh! After 4 years, what at time I've chosen to change his food!
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Now you know, you have to ask first! I'm kidding. It's all ok. Nevermind any of this.

How many cups are you feeding Max a day?
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:57 PM
boubou

Hey Scorp 1! If you check out the Wellness website, they will give you a store closest to you that sells their product. It is sold here in Quebec; they simply put a french sticker on it.

I sell it at my grooming shop in St. Bruno- 30lbs Supermix Chicken for $57.99. Definitely more expensive than Kirkland, but it's the best your money can buy. I have 3 dogs, 2 are large breeds; a 70lb xlab, a rottweiller and a 25lb xsheltie. A 30 lb bag will last me almost 3 weeks. Not bad considering! They eat much less on a superior quality food such as Wellness - less than 3 cups a day each (excluding the little one), and they aren't skinny!

As for my cats, I can't afford to feed them Wellness, so I do feed them Kirkland (I have seven). I do supplement them in the evening with about 1/4 cup each of Wellness canned and I haven't had any health problems in years (knock on wood!!!).
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:30 PM

LOL, first off, I am not endorsing a specific food and I am not affiliated. But if Prin can go on and on about how Wellness will "bring world peace", hehehe, just a joke Prin, then I will talk about what I feed Sprint.

Hmmm, always seems a discussion about food. Every one has there preferences and for most it is guided by the almighty dollar. When I was on the search for a premium food for my big baby, I looked at many including Wellness. However, he snubbed his nose at it. And for a dog that would eat anything, I moved on. I have settled Go! Natural, Super Premium Chicken, Fruit and Vegetable.

http://www.petcurean.com/PDFs/go_natural_dog.pdf

It costs any where from $55 to $70 for a 13kg bag, depending if I buy it locally here or when I am in Ottawa. That will last about a 3 weeks or so. If your looking for a cheaper food, they also have "lower end" lines. Still good quality. Just check out there product table.

http://www.petcurean.com/product_table.html
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:33 PM

But gdamadg, you have to brag about what the food has done for your doggies...
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:
But gdamadg, you have to brag about what the food has done for your doggies...
lol, Well he doesn't shed hardly at all, his coat is thicker and shinier. His energy level is absolutely crazy, a hard one to keep up with at times. Clean ears, almost no build up at all. Beautiful white teeth. His build has evened out, lean and strong, but not bulky. My sister who I had got him from, saw him for the first time since I got him, while she was up for xmas, said she has never seen him this healthy looking. And I have to agree.
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:50 PM

Old January 16th, 2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Now you know, you have to ask first! I'm kidding. It's all ok. Nevermind any of this.

How many cups are you feeding Max a day?
I feed him 4 cups a day. 2 in the morning, 2 at night.
But I mixed the kirkland food with one cup of Iams each time these last 2 days.
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I feed him 4 cups a day. 2 in the morning, 2 at night.
People are afraid to pay the extra money for a premium food, but that is a perfect example to do it. I feed Sprint 2 1/4 cups of food a day. That's it and he is a fairly active dog. And with all the healthy benefits, it will show in the end, with reduced visits to the Vet. But this is IMO, and some food for thought. lol, pardon the pun.
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Yeah, that's a lot to eat... Boo (87 lbs) gets 2.5-3 cups a day.
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Honest Contributor

lucky you... dakotah at 110 lbs and growing, eats about 3.5 cups of Go! Natural per day during the week IN ADDITION to 1 or 2 lbs of raw meat with bones, AND 1/2 can of wet food or a can of fish or cooked meats... per DAY.

weekends he gets about 5 cups of Nature's Variety New Zealand Medley + canned fish, or wet food, or meats, bagel with cream cheese, etc per day. and you can still see his ribs through all that akita fur when he stretches, not an ounce of fat on him.

i envy you and your wallet, LOL!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Yeah, but my doggies are getting older and are less excited and more sleepy. They still play a lot but are less awake between playings.
Old January 16th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I am sure that if Sprint (70lbs) was more active, I would definately feed him more. It's not for the lack of money, I could afford to feed him more. He gets snacks now and then too, treats and when I am snacking on fruits or veggies. But I have a disability and I am active enough to match his full potential, lol. He has helped me a lot by getting me more active. He has his potential to be lazy though, we feed off each others energy. When I have energy he takes advantage of it and when I am not feeling well, he is lazy.
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp1
i wass told its made by diamon http://www.diamondpetfood.com/ thay make it end stamp the costco name on it.
I just heard(Friday or Saturday?) on the morning news that Diamond had recalled dogfood because of "naturally occurring mold" problem that could potentially be fatal for dogs. I didn't hear the whole segment and haven't seen anything on it since, so I don't know the details.
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I just checked that website and they have information about the recall under the heading of "press releases" and also "recall Q&As".
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Owned by Saints

If you think 4 cups a day is bad.. you wouldn't want to feed my dog. LOL He's eating 7 cups a day of the Solid Gold Hundenflocken and that's keeping him on the thin side, less weight on his joints while he's still growing. The 30 pound bag last maybe 3 weeks.
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Here's the answer I got from Costco about their Kirkland brand food and the recall:

"Good morning Vicky,

The recent recall by Diamond foods does not affect the Kirkland
Signature Canadian Dog Food. Our dog food is manufactured in different
plants and is subject to more detailed testing and specifications due to
extensive safety laws in Canada.

Thank you,
Jennifer M. Bennett
Costco Wholesale Canada
(I removed the contact information, just in case)"