Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old June 19th, 2008, 11:41 PM

Exclamation Lost Grey & White Domestic Short Hair IN MARKHAM

Mishka is a grey and white domestic short haired who went missing yesterday morning in the Woodbine and Major Mackenzie area in Markham. She's usually an indoor cat and we're very worried about what may have happend to her. She has green eyes. Her chest and paws are mostly white while her body is a grey.

She's been my companion for the past seven years. Can you believe she actually defended me when I got into fights with people? I miss her so much.

If you have any information on her please let me know.
Email me at: sshoja11@schulich.yorku.ca
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Indoor cats can be very scared outside and will go into hiding, they don't usually wonder too far. The best time to look for her is at night when all is quiet. Bring a flashlight (to see her eye reflection) and a bag of treats to rattle.

You can also leave out her litter box and some of her and your items that will have scent on it. Check these items though out the night to see if she comes to the yard.

Ask your neighbours to check under their decks in their sheds for her. My parents found a cat that was hiding under their deck for 5 days (saw it at 4AM). Belonged to neighbours a couple of doors down, indoor only kitty that got out when friends visited.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Hey

These are some pictures I have of her... I forgot to post:

http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/phot...06284_8509.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/phot...06282_8261.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/phot...06283_8375.jpg

Thank you so much for the tips.

I just came back from an hour and a half walk looking for her.
All I found was a black cat walking around who ran away from me when I tried to follow him/her.

My cat was in heat when she went out and I thought maybe she had originally gone with that cat.

I put a bowl of her food outside and I think some other animal ate it overnight. We have a lot of rabbits and racoons in our area.

Your tip about talking ot the neighbours is great. I'm going to do that this afternoon. Thank you.

I really hope I find her It feels so weird waking up in the morning without her to prr on my lap.

Last edited by bcalamity; June 20th, 2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old June 20th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Excellent advice from Love4himmies.

Ure cat is very beautiful and I wish you the best of luck in finding her
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if even though she's outside and probably afraid, she would howl anyway, seeing how she's in heat. Don't forget to mention the fact to the neighbours, that she might be behaving in an unusual manner and carrying on, especially at night.
You've printed out her picture to hand them and post everywhere else, right?
Hope you find her.
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the support guys.

I've put up around 10 posters with color pictures of her around. I've even offered a reward.

I just don't have any idea around what area she'd be in. It's been three days. I'm losing hope and I'm so exhausted from walking for hours looking for her.

I miss her so much
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

In heat, yikes, you do realize that she will probably come back pregnant.

She may be terrified of the toms trying to get to her, if you hear any cat fights, you may want to check the area immediately.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM

Last night someone called me at 1 in the morning saying that they saw her running through this empty field near my area.

I wanted so badly to go help him catch her, but my parents wouldn't hear of it.
He tried to go near her but she only ran away.
He left her some food.

I stayed up all night and went there at 5 in the morning but didn't see her.
I went and looked for another 2 hours later in the morning.

She's not there

But there's a small pond there so I'm thinking she went there for water.

This is so exhausting.

And even if she does return pregnant I still want her to come back.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM

I just got this email from someone...
I replaied but haven't gotten a phone call yet.

I really want to hope it's Mishka they've found, and at the same time something tells me not to get my hopes up too much.

She's a very skiddish cat and never allowed strangers near her.

But still I really really want to hope it's Mishka.

"Hello, I found your pet along a shopping mall and I have been looking for the owner eversince,but all abortive,till i saw your ad,if you are the true owner send me the pics of the pet and the location it was lost so i can know you are the owner before I return it."

I'm keeping my fingers crossed....
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:11 AM

hey guys...

so i dono if anyone is reading this... but the person who emailed me turns out to have been a scam.

It really broke my heart that someone would do that...

This is what they sent me this morning....

Hi,
Its your pet I saw and really an adorable one,well your pet is with me here in West Africa for our missionary assignment,I took the pet down to Africa when I did not find the owner on time.

The shipping and handling will cost just $300 for the pet.and I have already spoken to the shipping desk concerning the shipment.I am going to ship the pet to you via Express pets delivery and the pet is Ready To Shipped in 24hrs Airport-to-Airport delivery.

Thanks and l hope to hear from you very soon.

Your most sincerely,
Jennifer

Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
-

Have you tried checking with www.pawanimalservices.ca they handle strays for Markham, you might also want to try The Kennel Inn in Aurora since you are on the western part of Markham. Good Luck
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Did you post on kijiji? because someone whose cat has also gone missing received the exact same email.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53635
Scammers. Don't you just love the missionary touch.
Do not give up. Widen your search area, since females in heat will do just about anything for relief and are therefore quite vulnerable.
You need to go out when it's dark; if your parents are worried maybe they could go with you. The first few days are crucial.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM

Hey guys

I'm not sure if I posted on Kiji. I posted on every site possible. I don't think Kiji was on of them though. You never know though. I was panicking and posted everywhere I could.

I will try and look for her tonight again.
My family isn't too keen on helping me.

Chris: I have checked their site. I called them the day after Mishka went missing and they said to call back later because it was too soon to know. So I tried calling today several times but their phone seemed constantly busy. I'm gonna try again early tomorrow morning.

I'm also thinking of calling a local TV station and newspaper for more media exposure. I really want her to come home.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM

Guys I dont know how much more of this I can take.

Not only have I been doing the entire search alone, but I've also had to fight my parents to let me out of the house to look for her.

I just came back from a half hour search. Even that made them furious. They say I'm not allowed to go look for her anymore.

I don't like feeling this alone.
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalamity View Post
Not only have I been doing the entire search alone, but I've also had to fight my parents to let me out of the house to look for her..
I can't believe that your parents are not encouraging you to look for your beloved pet or at the least assiting you in helping find her.

Please don't give up. If you give up on her, that is it...no one will be looking for you. And how sad is that. To think that no one is looking for her, even the person who loved her, made her feel safe, once protected her. You can't give up. That just breaks me heart.

ACO22
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

What exactly is your parents' problem? Is it a cultural thing (you leaving the house), or they're secretly relieved the cat is gone, or what?
Whatever their motivation, they're in good company, in my experience many people just throw up their hands when a cat goes missing. I had a neighbour downstairs who moved in with a small tabby, which he allowed to roam through an open window. The day after it disappeared, he knocked on my door with a half-full sack of food and various other kitty items, saying he had no further use for them. Oh, I said, what happened to your tabby? Gone, he said. Did you put up some posters, walk around the neighbourhood, etc. (pretty basic stuff)? No. I was shocked into silence. This kind of attitude is at the heart of our stray problem, along with not neutering and spaying. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:56 AM
-

bcalamity - as of July 1st the OSPCA of York Region is taking over the Animal Control contract for Markham, apparently Markham is not satisfied with the service they are getting from pawanimalservices. If she isn't home by then then check with them. They are on Woodbine Ave just south of Mulock Drive.
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM

Hey guys

Well my parents grew up in an area where stray cats were plenty. They were literally all over the place as there was no system in place to control their population... so they're used to the idea of cats coming and going. They believed that I just overreacted and don't like me going out in the dark to look for her.

I shall check with OSPCA thanks
I think animalpawnservices doesn't do a great job exactly... there are a lot of stray cats around here considering it is a suburb... and I've never once seem them be claimed by animal services. They're always found and taken care of by people. I don't know if that's their fault but that is my experience. I don't have much hope in them finding my cat.

I'm not giving up. I'm gonna keep searching. I just don't know where else to look anymore... I feel like I've walked the entire neighbourhood ten times.

Last night I had a dream that I had found mishka. It felt so much more real than the previous ones. I woke up to the feeling of something dripping down my lips and wiped my mouth to find my lips were bleeding badly. My sleep and physical state seems to be declining. I wish I could hold myself together for Mishka. I shouldn't be so weak when she needs my help.
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Senior Contributor

When you're out walking, do you put up posters along the way? Don't forget to ask people to look in their sheds and garages. A cat of mine was shut up for more than a week; I never expected to see him again.
Fax her picture to all vet offices in the area and ask that it be posted in their waiting room.¨Put an ad in the local freebie paper, if you have one. If they'll publish a picture, all the better.

Good luck, be patient, this could still end well.
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Hey Badger.

All the posters I had put up are all now soaked and useless from constant rain.

I'm trying to get some printed and laminated but I went ot the mall yesterday and none of the photo stores did color printing or lamination. So I'm going to bike 5 km or so just to get some printed today.

Having a car would make life so much easier.
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:16 PM

I just finished printing out and cutting out 130 little mishka business cards to put on people's doors.

Ouch to my fingers. I hope they help find her
Old June 28th, 2008, 12:25 AM

Good luck bcalamity!. My posters area also socked and falling off. I am going to have to get more up there.
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:01 AM

Hey Harry. Good luck finding your beautiful dog!
I wish houses in Markham weren't so ... abundant.
There are a million places my cat could be hiding.
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM

There has been an animal communicator I've been talking to. He's a good friend of a friend of mine and has tried to help me locate her.

This morning when I asked for him to see if she was okay he said that she had died.

I don't know what to think.

I miss her...
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:26 AM
banned user

Aww...I know the feeling..it can bring closure for you but......... in your
heart you still have hope so keep doing what you have been doing...you
never know miracles do happen
I have had four animal communicators..one says Sable's passed, the other three still give me the same information so who knows...
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Do you think I should believe him?
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:26 AM

hey guys

I just wanted to bump this to ask what you guys think I should be doing now..

She's been lost for over two weeks now and still no sign of her.
The animal communicator I had been talking to said she's passed away.
I dont know what to believe and I dont know how to search anymore-- or if I should still be searching.

Any advice... please?
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you gone into the shelters in your area? Have you called them and filled out a lost report?

Have you called veterinary clincs? Sometimes people bring in stray cats to them. Also pet finder and other sites that I am sure someone on here can post them, which might better your chances in finding your kitty.

ACO22
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM
-

Have you tried filing a lost cat report with the OSPCA in Newmarket. Their # is 905 898 7122 Ex 319, this way if they pick up a cat matching the discription of yours, they will call you. Give as much information as possible. Good Luck.
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM

hey guys

I called the few vet clinics near by and gave a lost cat poster that they posted to the other.

I think I called the OSPCA and they told me they dont really deal with animals from Markham. But I will try and call to give them a lost cat report. Thank you!

I've called PAWS animal services for markham and asked about mishka.
Yesterday I checked their found cats site and my heart almost stopped at the sight of this cat that looked almost EXACTLY like my cat, except that the white on her nose is a bit bigger than Mishka's was. I will still call to double check. MAYBE just maybe... they somehow have her.

http://www.pawanimalservices.ca/gall...129851f64fd21e

This is the cat that looks so much like her =/

I will try calling more vet's clinics and hope that some of them do have her.

Thanks for all the help guys.