Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 19th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Thing is though is it exclusively the grain the dogs are allergic to? Or is it the protien in general? I highly doubt that the corn itself has a different protien in it than the silk, its the same plant.

Either way, I wouldnt recommend for everyone to fly off the handle about this, I just got worried for others when I saw the ingredient on the bag. Just keep an eye on your pet and see how things go... all I can suggest.
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
I highly doubt that the corn itself has a different protien in it than the silk, its the same plant.
But Peter said corn silk is not a source of protein....

Quote:
Please do not associate Corn Silk with corn grain – corn silk is an expensive botanical that does NOT include grain or starch and is NOT a source of protein.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:03 PM

Don't know much about orijin

I don't know much about Orijin my brother friend told me about it she feeds her dog it and says it the best dog food on the market.I want to find the best dog food for my dog even if it cost alot.She put my brothers dogs on orijin and he has two **** zu's. Dipper the oldest one has lost so much weight and his hair that used to be fluffy and soft is know falling out and course.Ella the younger one eat's and eat's it but she still not gaining weight.There nothing medically wrong with them.Know we change there food and know there back to normal.What other good foods are out there let me know.
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I just got another response back from Peter. He assures me that that dogs allergic to corn will not be allergic to corn silk in the product.
He also says that they source all of their botanicals from Canada, the US or Europe, but he's going to get confirmation today on where the actual corn silk is sourced.
He also says that they are going to change the ingredient list to say corn silk instead of zea mays.

Cindy
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:58 PM
-

Glad to hear it.
Old September 27th, 2007, 08:57 AM
NOT a senior member

That's good to know, thankyou!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

You know, it probably won't be an issue for most dogs. But the fact that Peter says it doesn't have protein doesn't make me feel better just because he said it. My vet once told me to use a certain brand of dog food that had poultry fat in it. My dog is allergic to poultry. He said the fat doesn't have protein in it so dogs don't react. HA!! We have to avoid poultry fat also, and anything that just lists animal fat in case it's poultry. So it's important if your dog has corn allergies to be VERY careful if/when you decide to try this food. Just a heads up. Caution!! Very good that they will be addressing this though.
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:52 AM
-

Those are two completely different allergies. I really don't think dogs would have an allergy to corn silk and I really wish Peter and Champion Foods would leave the ingredient listed as zea mays.

Quote:
My vet once told me to use a certain brand of dog food that had poultry fat in it.
Most vets know squat about dog food ingredients. Did you ask your vet if he/she could tell you "what" the origin of the poultry fat was? .....i.e....chicken, duck, turkey, pigeon, crow, etc? And, the same goes for animal fat.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:48 AM

re corn silk

Found this in my research for CRF:

Quote:
from http://www.holisticat.com/crf.html#herbs

Cornsilk: This herb is very soothing to the urinary tract so can be given on a regular basis if needed. It is also a good herb for incontinence, which some CRF cats suffer from.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
You know, it probably won't be an issue for most dogs. But the fact that Peter says it doesn't have protein doesn't make me feel better just because he said it. My vet once told me to use a certain brand of dog food that had poultry fat in it. My dog is allergic to poultry. He said the fat doesn't have protein in it so dogs don't react. HA!! We have to avoid poultry fat also, and anything that just lists animal fat in case it's poultry. So it's important if your dog has corn allergies to be VERY careful if/when you decide to try this food. Just a heads up. Caution!! Very good that they will be addressing this though.
Allergies and sensitivities can be funny things. Most people think that a dog allergic to chicken won't necessarily be allergic to chicken fat because they process protein and fat differently. My dog is allergic to both, though - although he can eat egg. Separate allergies, maybe? Tommy is allergic to corn though, we have now narrowed that down and confirmed it... but he has no problem whatsoever with this food. I'm sure that doesn't mean that no dog will have problems with the corn silk, but at least for me it settles the question. Whether it's because it's not a protein or it's a different part of the plant or whatever it is, Tommy shows no sensitivity to this food at all but has a reaction to anything with actual corn/corn starch etc.
Old October 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM

On a personal note. I have used and recommend corn silk for sufferers of UTIs (urinary tract infections). It is wonderful for soothing that burn....

BTW I am a midwife.

Cornsilk has detoxifying, relaxing and diuretic activity. Cornsilk is used to treat infections of the urinary and genital system, such as cystitis, prostatitis and urethritis. Cornsilk helps to reduce frequent urination caused by irritation of the bladder and is used to treat bed wetting problems.

In China, cornsilk is traditionally used to treat oedema and jaundice. Studies indicate that cornsilk can reduces blood clotting time and reduce high blood pressure.
www.phytochemicals.info

Last edited by Freyja; October 14th, 2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: reference source