Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 1st, 2007, 07:15 AM
Rottie owner and lover

And now it starts.....

I do not know how many ads I have seen just in the past couple of days saying I am moving and can not take my pet.
For me this is one of the worst excuses you can possibly come up with.
Why not look for a place that allows your pet, why not offer extra security deposits to allow your furry companion to join you.
Why do you toss these poor creatures, who will be lost, confused and heart broken. Yes they are alive, they are not garbage to be tossed out with the trash.
Just in the past 2 days, I have been asked to take in a dog( male) because I would be better than a shelter. They have heat enough to ask me, but where is their heart for dumping it.
Because of Harley I had to decline.
I have a rottweiler, one of the hardest dogs to find a place with, actually for my apt now, it took me 6 months to find a place, but I did not give up. When there is a will, there s always a way....Please remember that before you toss your animal out like yesterdays news paper.
Sorry so long, but because I had to decline, I am heart broken. I really feel for this poor guy.
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Rottielover you are so right. It really is unforunate that people choose the "easy" way and dump their pets when something gets in their way...

It really is sad:sad:
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Rottielover,I hear you,there is no words printable I can use for people with no heart.
IMO,just like with your kids,your dog/cat are your responsability until the day they no longer need you...I hate people who are capable of breaking an animals heart and spirit,by dumping them like so much garbage
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:32 AM
Remembering Lukka

I have seen this happen over and over again too. But what boggles my mind is the family that had to give up a member for whatever reason, sooner or later ends up with another pet!!!!!! And when that one no longer fits and ends up ditched another will come and take it's place, and so on......and so on.....and so on.....
I used to live by a family that did exactly that. Had several dogs and cats in the course of a few years but never had one for more than a few months.
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:44 AM

In Quebec landlords can refuse to rent to pet owners,in Ontario it is discrimination to refuse on basis of pets.When I was renting I used to offer up front a months rent as damage deposit and I had letters of reference for Sage my shepherd.I always found a place and never lost a deposit.It just requires a little effort,but there is no excuse for dumping an animal because you move.
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM
Half Way To Crazy

the other thing is that they lost there pet on moving day How can you lose a pet, don't they know that the pet is not with them?? leave the pet with a friend while you move and then introduse them to the new place, don't let them go outside unattended for a couple of weeks until they get use to their surroundings. this is uncomprehencable to me
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

i cant believe chris and i are planning to move to ottawa in january or feb, and we've already started to reseach pet ok apartments and well probably start applying for some as early as october
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:01 AM

Definately agreed Rottielover. I see the ads all the time and its just... rediculous. My lease is up in two months and I plan to move to a place better suited for me and my two dogs and cat. Its tough, especially since most places around here are either out of my budget or if they do allow pets, have a weight limit that eliminates one of my boys, but I dont plan on giving up. It just makes no sense to me not to consider them as a requirement for the new place....

But apparently we're "wierdos" who consider their pets their kids.
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I bought a new house and get possession on June 30th. I had to be out of the house I sold on May 1st. For a month in a half I had to find a place to live with a GSD and 3 cats!!!! It never once crossed my mind to dump them. I'd have lived out of my car with them if I had to!

In the end I found a pet friendly place and it is working out well. Of course, I didn't tell the landlord I was only staying for a short time. And althought I could have given notice yesterday and been out at the end of June, I am going to give notice at the end of June and pay rent for July as I feel badly for moving in and out so quickly.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:35 AM
-

Awww Rottielover, and imagine, it's only June 1 , still one month to go. :sad:
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lise View Post
In Quebec landlords can refuse to rent to pet owners,in Ontario it is discrimination to refuse on basis of pets.When I was renting I used to offer up front a months rent as damage deposit and I had letters of reference for Sage my shepherd.I always found a place and never lost a deposit.It just requires a little effort,but there is no excuse for dumping an animal because you move.
Just to correct some misinformation. LLs in Ontario can refuse to rent to you if you have a pet, they simply cannot evict you if you have a pet unless you are interfering with "the reasonable enjoyment of the premises" or there is "frustration of contract" issues and there is some thought that eviction is possible because of possession of a dog deemed as "dangerous" under the current legislation.

LLs are under no obligation to tell you why they are refusing to rent to you. If you suspect that you are being discriminated against because of a provision in the Human Rights Act or Code, then you have legal recourse. The ownership or possession of an animal is (of course) not protected under the Act/Code.
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:59 PM
-

:sad: