Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 28th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Need Advice From the Kitty Experts!!

My family and I have recently decided to bring home a new cat into our family. We've narrowed our search down to two reputable rescues, and are looking for a cat suited to these requirements:

Good with dogs and other cats, good with children, about 2-5 years old. Gender doesn't make a difference.

But I have some questions, and I'd like some advice to help us make the new kitties transition (once we decide on the cat) a little easier into our home.

We have two dogs and a cat. How can we ensure that the newcomer won't be stressed out by this living environment? How can we ensure that our current pets won't be stressed out?
My cat that we have now was adopted by us when she was only 12 weeks old, so I'm unsure of how to approach this with an adult cat.

I have a female cat now. Would it be better to bring home another female, or does it matter?

There are a few cats at one SPCA we're looking at that have been declawed previously. I'm hesitant about bringing one of these cats home because I wouldn't want to put it in a home with an unfair advantage (with a cat that has all her claws and two dogs with a bit too much eagerness to say hello).

Any advice/help/suggestions to make this transition easier and to help us narrow our search will be appreciated!!!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

I think two girl cats have a better chance of not getting along...my two didn't and others have told me this as well...I have one of each now and they get along swell! BUT it all depends on the cats I guess.

The SPCA and most rescues should be able to tell you which cats get along with dogs and other cats...they usually try to find out to help prospective adopters.

Slow intros (new kitty in a seperate room to start) and make sure you dote of your current pets too so they don't get jealous

As for the declawing issue...usually you keep claws pretty short by clipping them, so kinda the same thing except without the pain of declawing, so I don't really see it as an issue...especially if the cat you are looking at already gets along with other animals

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks TG! I have heard of seperating the newcomer for a bit upon arrival, so we've already got the spare room ready for that.

As for the declawing issue, the reason I ask is because one of the cats at the Calgary SPCA has stolen my heart - buuuutt, I'm hesitant because both of my dogs are fairly energetic. Moo, my female cat is very used to playing with dogs and sticks up for herself quite well - I've never had to worry about her. I guess I'm nervous about bringing a declawed cat into the picture just on the thought that they'd have no real defense if the need arise to tell the dogs to get lost - as Moo occasionally has to do.

I know we have to bring in our current pets to meet the new cat in order for an adoption to be approved, but I'm concerned that everything will be fine at the shelter and get a little crazy at home. I think I'm just paranoid. I want this to go as smoothly as possible!

Thanks for the thought on the females vs females, I wasn't sure if there would be an issue. I will certainly keep that in mind while we look!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I would say definetly get a male kitty.
If you are thinking of a kitten,he probably could adjust to the dogs,with time.
A grown cat not used to dogs,probably takes longer.
I know my 3 cats hate dogs,or I should say,they are terrified of dogs.
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico2, were you ever told from the shelter that any of them were okay with other animals? That's what I'm SO afraid of...that the new cat will be labelled as being "good" with cats and dogs, but it is an entirely different situation when a cat is cornered by a big bouncing labradoodle. (Not that my dogs are in any way aggressive with cats, however realistically I have to assume that they may want to play with the cat and say 'hi' - they're both young dogs, still learning their manners!)

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Bailey,no my cats all,kind of happened,none from a shelter,one was a farm-kitty,one from a pet-store(sorry)and my youngest was found on the street.
Never did have to get used to dogs,I don't have any.
I do however walk a Cocker every day and disaster happened when one of my cats got out accidentally while the Cocker was in my backyard with me.

However there are several people here who adopted cats"used to dogs"and it worked out fine.