Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Are Some Breeds of Dogs More Allergic to Insects Sting?

Marty was stung on his paw by a yellow jacket when we where walking on some grass. I have called my vet and gave Marty some benadryl .
I was wondering if some breeds of dogs are more allergic to insect bites.
I did not see the yellow jacket and poor Marty stepped right on it.
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Don't know for sure, but I think it's probably more of an individual thing. We have a couple of dogs that swell up like a balloon from a hornet sting, and some who don't react at all. They're all the same breed.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Not even sure what a yellow jacket is but if my dogs get stung by a bee I wipe the stinger out, then stand them in icy cold water till the pain subsides.
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Not even sure what a yellow jacket is but if my dogs get stung by a bee I wipe the stinger out, then stand them in icy cold water till the pain subsides.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowjacket

I had a dog that almost dies from a bee stung , she got to the vet just in time. The cold water would not had saved her life. You really need to give a dog some Benadryl to be on the safe side. My vet told me to give Marty some as we had no idea what kind of reaction he would have from the yellow jacket.
He was having a hard time breathing and I was really worried as he has bronchitis.
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:47 AM

Yup, it is more of an individual thing. Its the same as how some dogs react to vaccinations while other don't.

Benedryl is something that you should always have in your doggy first aid. It needs to be plain Benedryl though.

Winston swells up if he gets an insect bite, while Digby doesn't. But then Digby gets nice sized welts from tick bites, while Winston doesn't.

The benedryl also came in handy last week when I discovered my dogs had gotten lice. Digby scratched to the point that he was giving himself hotspots

If your dog is having an allergic reaction giving Benedryl is the first step. Then its observation. If the dog is having issues breathing then its time to haul bootie to the vet where they can give an injectable antihistamine and assist with the breathing if neccessary.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digston View Post
Yup, it is more of an individual thing. Its the same as how some dogs react to vaccinations while other don't.

Benedryl is something that you should always have in your doggy first aid. It needs to be plain Benedryl though.

Winston swells up if he gets an insect bite, while Digby doesn't. But then Digby gets nice sized welts from tick bites, while Winston doesn't.

The benedryl also came in handy last week when I discovered my dogs had gotten lice. Digby scratched to the point that he was giving himself hotspots

If your dog is having an allergic reaction giving Benedryl is the first step. Then its observation. If the dog is having issues breathing then its time to haul bootie to the vet where they can give an injectable antihistamine and assist with the breathing if neccessary.
Marty has bronchitis and has a hard time breathing, it get bad when it is hot out. I have to really watch my dogs as I am not able to hear how their breathing is.