Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 5th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Help PLEASE...baby fawn in the yard! Mama no where around!

I'm praying someone sees this FAST and knows what I should do. There is the sweetest little fawn curled up in the plants next to my deck. She doesn't appear to be in any distress but I don't see a Mama anywhere and I don't know what to do. Could the mother have put her there to keep her safe and is coming back? Has she been abandoned?

Even though I live in the middle of a large deer population I don't know enough about their habits to know the right thing to do. I'm so afraid that a predator will get her in the night !!!
Old June 5th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Alright I feel kind of dumb for not already knowing this but my friend Marty just told me that the babies are born with no scent. The mother leaves the baby to go feed so she can come back and nurse her when it's dark. He said to wait 24 hours to see if the mother comes back and to be careful not to do anything to frighten the baby or the mom. I'm grateful that school is in session so no one playing here in the cul de sac during the day. We're the last house on the street so no one needs to walk by on the way to the bus either!

Very worried that someone will try to touch her !!
Old June 5th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi joeysmama, I have no advice for you except keep an eye on her like your friend said and if no Mama shows up I would call Canadian Wildlife Federation, maybe they can help you. What a treat to have a Fawn in your garden... patti
Old June 5th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yes Joeysmomma I would wait 24hrs. We had a recent incident exactly the same here where I am it was on the news and everything. The MNR said that the mom will come back not to panic....and they basically said to just leave the baby alone.

Good Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Mom should be back to feed baby soon and they'll wander off together once the fawn is strong enough. What an honor to have Mama Doe place her precious fawn so close to you!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:46 PM

the fawn will be ok, that's what they do, leave them for a little while and come back to feed them, we had one for 2 days last year and it was pretty cool to watch it and it's mommy
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Senior Contributor

These are the stories that make up for the rotten ones like the guy who was trying to kill the baby racoons, a lovely reminder that of how kind and caring people are towards wildlife. Wishing the baby luck, and good on you joeysmama.
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM

oops forgot to add the pic..lol..our fawn last year
Attached Images

Old June 5th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwww....that's what our baby looks like. My husband got a picture with his phone. I don't know how to get it on line. If anyone can talk me through that I'll post it. I wanted to take a better picture with my phone or with the camera but I was really afraid to get close in case the mother was watching. I was sooo nervous. I didn't want to scare her off.

I do love the deer. My husband wishes they would stop feasting on our arborvitae but I don't care. They're so beautful and the babies are exquisite.
Old June 6th, 2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama View Post
Awwww....that's what our baby looks like. My husband got a picture with his phone. I don't know how to get it on line. If anyone can talk me through that I'll post it. I wanted to take a better picture with my phone or with the camera but I was really afraid to get close in case the mother was watching. I was sooo nervous. I didn't want to scare her off.

I do love the deer. My husband wishes they would stop feasting on our arborvitae but I don't care. They're so beautful and the babies are exquisite.
This little one actually came up to my husband and licked his knee, they are quite tame here...try to send your pic from the phone to your e-mail
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Senior Contributor

The fawn is absolutely beautiful, I envy you so much for having that left for you to take care of.
Old June 6th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Senior Contributor

wish I would have been here to answer for you, we often accidently find them on our walks, it use to worry me at first until I realized mom hid it there, moms sometimes only go back twice during the day, then collect them at night. Good for you for finding it, inquiring about it and leaving nature alone *S* kudo's, sooooo did mom come get her/him?
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,they are sooo beautiful,hope mom has been back by now
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes she's gone! I'm happy that Mom came back for her but sad that I didn't get one more peek. Better this way though. I was very frightened that a neighbor would notice her and get too close.

Thanks for all the help ! If I can get that picture posted I will !!
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

you are so lucky to have had that right in your yard!! you must have a peaceful setting for her to be so trusting.
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I do feel lucky. From the side of the deck I could see her up close. I wasn't comfortable looking for more than a second as I didn't want to frighten her or scare away her mommy, but oh how sweet to get so close to that baby even for just a few seconds.
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM
You can call me DOG!

Oh how I love happy endings. Great to hear momma came back.

Would be neat to see the cell picture. Claudia's right. If you can figure out how to send the picture to your e-mail account, you'd be set to show her off!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:47 PM

Glad she came and got it, they are amazing animals I just love to watch them. We had a little buck last year, hubby said he was a yearling so I'm waiting to maybe see him this year and all the new babies
Chloe, Golden Retriever born 10/2008

Always in my heart Spice, Peanut and little Charlie