Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 6th, 2013, 01:22 AM

Something wrong with cat's paw ~ *Warning graphic pic* ~

Hello everyone! I have a question about a cat's paw and was hoping someone might have an idea of what it might be. I have friends who's parents own a dairy farm that also houses a number of feral/stray cats. They feed the cats here and there and during the winter they hang around the barn because it's warm. One cat in particular is very friendly and we noticed that she has something wrong with the pad on her foot. I first met her last summer and thought it was a burn but after having the cow vet look at her, he suspected it was some type of tumor or infection. Because the cats are just strays, the people who own the barn will not take the cat to the vet and I unfortunately do not currently have the money to take her either. I am a pre-vet student and the vet that I worked with over the summer said that it could be pillow paw or Plasmacytic pododermatitis with has been linked with FIV. Below are some pictures of her paw. It doesn't seem to bother her too much but it is constantly bleeding and oozing. We kept it wrapped and dry for about a week over the summer and it didn't seem to make a difference. She was just annoyed with her vet-wrapped foot. Does anyone have an other ideas as to what it might be and if so, any suggestions on how we might be able to address it? We'd like to find a home for her but have been having a hard time finding because of the constant oozing/bleeding of her foot.
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:38 AM

Have you talked to the rescue groups & no kill shelters in your area to see if they can take her in & have that properly treated? Perhaps a local vet will take her in as a clinic cat?

By the looks of it it's only going to continue bleeding etc and become at risk for more infections with the hay, straw, dirt she's walking on getting into it.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:50 AM

Yes, unfortunately all of the shelters are full and I haven't been able to locate a rescue group that might take her within the area. They're located in rural PA and there aren't many resources available. I didn't think about contacting a vet, that is a good idea, thank you! Like I mentioned before, I had the mobile vet look at her and he told me what he thought but was very unconcerned. As I have learned through this situation, in that area cats, especially barn cats are seen as disposable and are not give the best of care. When I visit, I always bring food for her and clean the foot off but it's a bit hopeless because dairy barns are not the cleanest places. Thanks for the suggestions and I will look into the vet clinics.
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:56 AM

Hope an area vet can help out with that, trying clinics/shelters a couple of cities away might be worth a shot. Depending on how far away the nearest metropolitan city is a clinic/shelter there might be able to bring her in as the perception/numbers of cats would be better.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:56 AM

Looks like an infection. She needs antibiotics and to have the pus drained out of it.
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

It really annoys me when people treat cats like this...oh it's just a barn cat, I'm not spending any money on it!! My sister is like that and doesn't give a rats ass about anything but her alpacas. Well duh, what if one of your barn cats gets bit by something rabid and bites one of your precious alpacas!! Or gets some other infectious disease that can be passed on!
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsy13 View Post
Yes, unfortunately all of the shelters are full and I haven't been able to locate a rescue group that might take her within the area. They're located in rural PA and there aren't many resources available. I didn't think about contacting a vet, that is a good idea, thank you! Like I mentioned before, I had the mobile vet look at her and he told me what he thought but was very unconcerned. As I have learned through this situation, in that area cats, especially barn cats are seen as disposable and are not give the best of care. When I visit, I always bring food for her and clean the foot off but it's a bit hopeless because dairy barns are not the cleanest places. Thanks for the suggestions and I will look into the vet clinics.
Do you have a Humane Society in your city , or maybe there are some animals lovers at a church or temple they would be willing to help the poor cat. The paw look really bad and like others said the cat needs to be taken to a vet before an infection set in the whole leg.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:12 AM

Hello everyone, thanks for all the suggestions! We've tried contacting the local vets and no luck so far. Taloula as we call her is doing okay for now, she isn't any worse, but not much better either. In a effort to help her ourselves, we've made a page on a fundraising website. We have a better place for her to go but we just need to get her all vetted up first! Thanks! There is also a pic of her face so you don't have to look at her poor paw!

Last edited by hazelrunpack; March 21st, 2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: All fundraisers must have Admin approval
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:00 PM
Kitty pimp

thats great !!!
Old October 8th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Animal lover

Update?

Hi, just wondering if you have an update on Taloula? Is the funding page still going or has she been to a vet since this last post in March?

Tags
cat, paw, paw injury