Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegaderuby View Post
Extremely "weird" idea..but couldnt hurt..may help. A "dab" of penut butter on the pup's paticulars to encourage "licking" ....maybe that will "get mom in the habit of cleaning off the pups"..and "insticnt" will kick in after a while. after all if neice keeps doing "moms" job...mom will kick back and relax and say to heck with it.
I dunno....like i said..may be to weird...but here in this house..penut butter is the cure for nearly everything. Really..it is
thats a thought.....
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Melinda I dont know the first thing really about pups but I am wondering if its just a teeny bit too soon. Maybe Mom is not quite getting what needs to be done. If you were to present the pup to be cleaned to Mom does she do it? I am wondering if she just doesnt know everything she needs to do??
the first day/night Winston , mom did it all herself, the next day she started getting lazy about it, Amber (niece) will stimulate them to pee and then present the pup to the mom and she will continue the rest of the duty. I'm headed over there now (more pics) and will check things out.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:21 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ooooo....more pics! Can't wait!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
the first day/night Winston , mom did it all herself, the next day she started getting lazy about it, Amber (niece) will stimulate them to pee and then present the pup to the mom and she will continue the rest of the duty. I'm headed over there now (more pics) and will check things out.

more pictures??

Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Quote:
thats a thought.....
Sorry if that was a thought. just figured what the heck worth an ....
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Senior Contributor

no no renegade, I meant that in a good way!! you know "wow...now there's a thought to try!!!" it wasn't said in a negative way, I really hate the internet when you can't show enthusiasim!
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Senior Contributor

sorry, had such a busy day yesterday, went and spent two hours with the pups, I cooked up some very fattening food for the mom, poor Skyla is skin and bones, she was scrawny to begin with, but now we've got her eating well. She's also caught on to cleaning her pups and does it 75% of the time I'd say, and she's gotten a bit gentler with them, except when she decides they've drank enough she just stands right up, pups still attached and walks away, you hear the "plop plop plop" as each pup "unplugs" from her *S* its sweet. Man I was in heaven holding, cleaning, kissing pups.....ok ok, on to pics.
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Senior Contributor

5 days old

adorable...

Buffet

Old October 24th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor

he snores softly, oh and he has two white toes on his back paw

all 6

full and content

he falls asleep while eating, this one is a little glutten, last to come out and he's the largest so far

Old October 24th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

if you go back to the album, you can see all the pics, the latest are all marked "5 days"
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Half Way To Crazy

melinda

are you keeping one??
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

no I'm not Breeze, if I were to take one then I'd never be able to take in a foster or a rescue, with a city day care they govt "likes" us to limit dogs to two. plus....I'm 53, if he/she lived 15 yrs I'd be 68 and I promised my patient hubs that Brina would be my last so our retirement years will be just us so we can up and go at a moments notice, he's put up with my animals for 32 yrs....its his turn, if anything we will take in compassionate placements, older/ill dogs just needing a home for their final months/years
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
no I'm not Breeze, if I were to take one then I'd never be able to take in a foster or a rescue, with a city day care they govt "likes" us to limit dogs to two. plus....I'm 53, if he/she lived 15 yrs I'd be 68 and I promised my patient hubs that Brina would be my last so our retirement years will be just us so we can up and go at a moments notice, he's put up with my animals for 32 yrs....its his turn, if anything we will take in compassionate placements, older/ill dogs just needing a home for their final months/years

Melinda without a dog!!!!
or
the side car without a dog!!

Old October 24th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

*L* I'll just have to borrow grand doggies then Breeze
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
*L* I'll just have to borrow grand doggies then Breeze

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:03 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The pups are getting so big!! And cuter by the minute!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

He looks like a giant TOOTSIE ROLL. Hmmmm...there is a thought. TOOTER! (well that brings another image to mind...:P)
Old October 25th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Tooter *LOL*.....love it *L*
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

how are the pups and Skyla doing ?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown

Last edited by Winston; October 27th, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Senior Contributor

they are all off for the vets this morning at 10:45, we think mom has a case of mastitis, poor her, the pups are gaining weight, they range in size of 22 up to 31 oz. (she just got her scale yesterday) the vet said to bundle up the pups and she'd check them over at the same time for free (normally 60 per pup) but if they need any med she has to pay for that.
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:00 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, no! Poor mom! If she can't nurse any more, how much bottle-feeding is this going to entail? Poor foster mom!

Sounds like she's got a compassionate vet--sweet deal on the pups. Hope the checkup goes well!

Old October 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Hope everything goes good at the vets today. Praying that Skyla is okay and able to continue feeding the babes. Sweet Skyla, she's trying so hard and she's so very young.
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

ok, so its not mastitis, she is all bruised around the nipples because they (nipples) aren't really fully developed for having pups at her age, she gave her a light dose of antibiotics and instructed amber to put warm clothes on them when they are relaxing on the couch away from the babies, the pups are all a great weight for their age and the vet thinks its possible a lab was also around while they were trying to breed her...she said time will tell, she gave amber worm pills for the pups to give them at two weeks old, then again at 4 weeks. and gave Skyla some antibiotics for runny poop (as amber says) *L*
Old October 27th, 2011, 09:45 PM

Well its good it isn't mastitis, but poor girl! Is she getting the hang of cleaning them now?
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old October 28th, 2011, 12:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sounds like she's been doing a good job with her youngsters despite her inexperience. Glad it wasn't mastitis, anyway! Hope she can hold out and continue nursing till they're ready to be weaned!

Old October 28th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Well its good it isn't mastitis, but poor girl! Is she getting the hang of cleaning them now?
90% of the time she is cleaning them, amber sits with her so she'll feed them, the vet said they are getting enough milk *S*
Old October 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Melinda,I just read through all 3 pages and I am so happy both mom and the pups will have a great future,thank's to your niece and yourself.
They all look absolutely adorable,in my laymans eyes they all look like little Labs,but many pups look alike when they are babies.

I am glad it's over for the mom,no more pups,only lots of loving from your niece and family..
I look forward to more and more pics
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:09 PM
owned by Tucker

just seen this wow can't believe she had six babies in that poor dog, she looked thin as it was would never guess she was having that many babies. What makes me feel that animals are better than humans is after being abused she is still a sweet heart and would let you guys handle the puppies with so much trust in her eyes. She looks so content lying her there on her back Then I hear of people like you and your niece and have a little renewed faith in the human race....
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:44 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I need a puppy fix! how are they doing Melinda? and how is your neice holding up?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 1st, 2011, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

hey Winston pups are all doing well, and one's eyes are just just starting to slit open....I'll be going over there tomorrow for some more pictures and to bring her the puppy playpen because the little farts discovered if you wiggle up on top of mommy you can fall out of the bed onto the floor and freedom, course they can't walk...or see.....*L*