Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 8th, 2009, 10:47 PM
WOOOOF!

Bottom of paw cut open, badly.

I just noticed the pad on the bottom of my dogs paw is very badly cut open. It's really deep but doesn't seem to hurt him cause hes not limping.

What can I do to help it before I take him to the vet in the morning?

Akira: Boss lady.
Adam: 110 pound lapdog.
Maximus: Shy guy, but will lick your face off.
Kitty: "PET MEEEEE"
Tig: Chillen.

Last edited by Akira; September 8th, 2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:07 PM
WOOOOF!

I put some gauze around the wound and wrapped it up so he couldnt lick or chew at it. The pad is almost split in half, you can see right inside the pad. Is warpping it up a good idea? Can dogs get stitches on the pads of there paws?

Please anyone give me some info.

Old September 8th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Garden nut

Do you have any of those butterfly strips to help keep the wound closed until you can see the vet? I had something similar when I cut my forearm pretty bad once and had to wear those strips after the stitches came out and they worked great! I dunno if they would stick good with hair though. Just a thought anyway.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Does it look clean? You want to make sure that the wound can 'breathe', so don't wrap it too tightly.

Was he worrying at it? Do you have an Elizabethan collar for him in case he needs it? The main thing is to keep him from licking/chewing at it and and have a vet look at it as soon as you can tomorrow. Sounds like you're doing as much as you can already, Akira.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Live well, laugh often

I would try to soak the pad in some warm salt water. Usually dogs are pretty cooperative with this (after the initial dunk) as it feels better. If your dog isn't cooperative then you can make the salt water in the bath tub and then have him stand in it.

Wrapping is a good idea but make sure not to wrap the wound to tightly. I don't think stitches are usually done on a paw pad. Is the wound like a puncture or more of a slice?
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM
WOOOOF!

The wounds clean, and he was licking at it a lot, thats part of the reason why I wrapped it. He hasn't been limping or trying to keep weight off it at all, which is strange cause it's quite the gash.

Teri M- It's a large slice, I'm not sure how it happend, i just noticed blood on the floor and starting checking all the animals for wounds and found the split.

Last edited by Akira; September 8th, 2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:16 AM
WOOOOF!

Kay, I just did a bunch of research and everything says you can't do anything for this type of wound. It says just keep it clean, keep it wrapped when theres chance of debris getting into the wound and to keep him off of it? How am I supposed to keep him from walking on his foot? Will going to the vet really benefit me in any way, or just be more money out of my pocket that I don't really have. I know how to wrap it and I know how to clean it etc. But I don't know how the heck you keep a dog off it's feet, he has to pee and stuff, and he'll go nuts not being to go for walks and play in the backyard or up to 4 weeks! Should I just spoil the heck out of him with stuff like bones and stuffed kongs to keep him busy?

Old September 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Young at Heart

Both my dogs have had pretty severe gashes in their paw pads - from stuff on the shoreline. Bobby had stitches - Amber's didn't. I was fortunate to be at the beach when both happened so they both immediately got a salt-water soak. After that, I put socks on their injured foot, covered that with a plastic bag and off we went on our walks and such.

With Amber's cut, I put tea tree oil on it twice a day. When the cut was healed somewhat, I put bag balm on it. It did take a while for them to heal but with the sock and bag - held on with masking tape - things went well. I did come across a fellow at the beach who had made an amazing boot for his dog - he used a leather golf club cover!

Good luck!
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
WOOOOF!

Lol janm, the golf club covers actualy a pretty good idea.

I went to the vet today anyways, they proposed stitches but I denied.
I got him some benadine, polysporin, and stuff to wrap up the paw better.

I think he will heal quickly, it already looks ten times better.

Thanks for your help everyone.

P.S. (I have news, look for my post in general)

Old September 9th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I'm too late with my advice as usual... My girl Shadow had a slice/bite on her paw a couple years ago and the vet actually glued it shut (she had eaten that day so he couldn't sedate and stitch it) and then wrapped it. So that was what I was going to say, don't let the dog eat before going to the vet just in case, and the option of glue would also be available. Sounds good though, hope it all heals up quickly. It's amazing how fast pups heal. Now I have to go check out your other post.